What's new

OFF on another adventure!!

What beautiful mountains you are seeing. I envy you. Wisconsin will sure be a terrain shock after Arizona and Utah. Have a great and safe trip. I will be following your adventure. judy
 
Crossing the Ohio River into KY.
attachment.php


US 60 in KY. The SAME US 60 in Quartzsite, AZ.
attachment.php

I will be following US 60 from sea to shining sea when it cools off a little bit in the fall. Watch for that adventure!

Hartford, KY.
attachment.php


The covered bridge here has been replaced several times.
attachment.php


attachment.php


I'll be staying in Morgantown, KY tonight.
attachment.php
╦╦C
 

Attachments

  • Ohio River.webp
    Ohio River.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 200
  • US 60 KY.webp
    US 60 KY.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Hartford KY.webp
    Hartford KY.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 206
  • first bridge.webp
    first bridge.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 204
  • ft.Hartford.webp
    ft.Hartford.webp
    60 KB · Views: 201
  • Morgantown, KY.webp
    Morgantown, KY.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 199
A person can't beat the rural roads of America.
Probably if you had a flat, a good samaritan would stop and help you change it.
 
Wow. Just wow Terry C.!
 
OK, I'm in Birchwood, TN, by my cousin Steve. I'll hang out here for a few days. Never had enough rain in AZ to notice any leaks in my "roadhouse" until now. Time to redo the roof! Birchwood is big enough to be a two horse town if the residents take turns being in town. A Navy dude and another Vietnam Marine talked with me at a restaurant in Monteagle yesterday. The Marine gave me two "military pins" but for some reason the Treasurenet website will not recognize the jpeg. Same camera I've been using the last three weeks. We'll get that straightened out. I'll be down for a few days. I'll then be looking for DEEPSEEKER ADS and Terry Soloman when back on the road. Stay tuned! ╦╦C

(Got it!)
attachment.php
╦╦C
 

Attachments

  • pins.webp
    pins.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Steve and Sue have a small hobby farm. Steve and Sue raise goats. And pigs and chickens.
attachment.php



attachment.php


Don't mess with her goats while Delila is around. She will eat you ALIVE!
attachment.php
Video tomorrow if my internet connection cooperates. ╦╦C

(How did the horses get in there?)
 

Attachments

  • DSC02085.webp
    DSC02085.webp
    56.3 KB · Views: 72
  • goat1.webp
    goat1.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 173
  • goat2.webp
    goat2.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 171
  • goat3.webp
    goat3.webp
    95.9 KB · Views: 175
A person can't beat the rural roads of America.
Probably if you had a flat, a good samaritan would stop and help you change it.

I would not let someone change my tire on a real skinny road. Too dangerous. I have a blaze-orange flag he could wave up the road while I changed the tire. ╦╦C
 
╦╦C
 
I'm back on the road (25th). In VA.

Damascus, VA
attachment.php


attachment.php

On US 58

Got to Rodger's, DEEPSEEKER ADS in Stuart, VA.
attachment.php


His family is one of the original Patrick County founders in 1791.

This house was erected back then.
attachment.php

Only the chimney still stands. The house was torn down in 1960.

Another house and general store stood nearby.
I detected the area where the store once stood.
I found this barber dime and a token.
attachment.php

attachment.php


I cleaned them up.
attachment.php

The token is a twenty five cent piece I believe was put into a mechanical horse for a child's ride. The figure in the middle of the token is a horse's head on top of another horse head.

I also found a 1917 wheatie in very bad condition.

More fascinating pics of the property a little later! ╦╦C
 

Attachments

  • Damascus1.webp
    Damascus1.webp
    62.5 KB · Views: 139
  • Damascus2.webp
    Damascus2.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 145
  • deep.webp
    deep.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 151
  • chimney.webp
    chimney.webp
    127.3 KB · Views: 148
  • barber.webp
    barber.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 145
  • token.webp
    token.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 144
  • barber4.webp
    barber4.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 146
Just spoke with Terry C. on the phone, and was super bummed to tell him our visit here in New York will have to be postponed, as I have been diagnosed with a breakthrough Covid-19 infection, and I have to quarantine for at least the next 15-days. I am SUPER bummed. I got the Johnson & Johnson shot two-months ago, so I'm hoping the infection will be mild. When we got together in Arizona a few years ago we really hit it off and I was looking forward to seeing him again.

Congrats Terry, on your finds, and I have really enjoyed following along on your trip through your photos and posts. If I can, I'll see you in Yarnell this fall. Safe travels my friend!:icon_thumright:
 
Say hi to Roger for me!
A person and an area well connected and well worth visiting...Which I have not. But did get to visit with him elsewhere.

Terry S. get well , dang it.
 
Hey, people. Gotta type this with my phone. Laptop is not booting up. Found another wheat cent. 1937. Going to a house built in the late 1700s. Chimney still up......laptop is responding! You may get pics tomorrow after all. Woohoo! TTC
 
16274101029811405471310741440527.webp
D
Hopefully a ring shows up. Taking with phone.
Ring found at a house built in the late 1790s. Also found broken axe head and several canning lids. The old ones with the ceramic centers. Some portions of the house were added in the 1800s. I have pics but left the camera back at Rogers. BTTC
 
Last edited:
I bought my first detector in about 1983, and bought the property from my grandmother in 1979.

I had searched this property many times, even recent times.

Then Terry shows up and finds that Barber dime right in front of my front steps. Good Lord!!! And then he found that token....

I was absolutely delighted with his finds! I hope this trip up here will live in his memories for many years!

I very seldom have company / visitors. This was a wonderful couple of days, and he's an old friend on TNet!

I may even start swinging on my yard again! Clearly I didn't hunt it out :(
 
Here's a pic of the farm before my house was built.....

That rock & mud chimney you saw was on that squared log house.

Farm before my house built.webp
 
Let's catch up.....

Here's a better pic of Roger.
attachment.php
WILLIE NELSON!!

Here is a beech tree near Roger's house. The county told him it is around 600 years old. Oldest in the county.
attachment.php


Near that tree is an Indian "love seat" used for courting a couple hundred years ago.
attachment.php


On Tuesday morning, Nick was to take me to a house built in the 1790s.
While waiting for Nick to arrive, a bear came down from the hill in front of my Jeep.
See him? He did not stick around when I got out of the Jeep to take the pic.
attachment.php


Here is Nick at the house we will detect. I found the ring here. It has a design
inside the band but I fear I will destroy the delicate inscription if I try to polish away the corrosion.
The house dates to the 1790s with an addition in the 1800s.
attachment.php


Near the house is the county road dating to the period.
attachment.php


I found a horse shoe nail there.
attachment.php


Now, this adventure will soon end. One more stop in NC.
I will then scoot back to AZ on the big road.

Before I end, Nick and I went to a local restaurant in Stuart, VA
attachment.php


You must get off the big road and get down into the local places to EXPERIENCE this....

THIS IS THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE TRIP! I LOVE IT. Breakfast music.
<span style="color:#ff0000;">

Thank you, pepperj! ╦╦C


(edit) The guy in the blue shirt is playing the mandolin. Behind me somewhere a fellow is playing the "spoons" you hear.

 

Attachments

  • roger.webp
    roger.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 152
  • beech tree.webp
    beech tree.webp
    58.5 KB · Views: 143
  • love seat.webp
    love seat.webp
    67.4 KB · Views: 148
  • bear.webp
    bear.webp
    38.1 KB · Views: 156
  • balouse.webp
    balouse.webp
    59.5 KB · Views: 147
  • county road.webp
    county road.webp
    90.2 KB · Views: 158
  • nail.webp
    nail.webp
    34 KB · Views: 151
  • coffee.webp
    coffee.webp
    38.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Oh hell yeh!!!!!
 
Deepseeker is sitting on a property gem, for sure! I lived in Chattanooga-Collegedale-Cleveland area for many years. The eastern side of the state is definitely the best-looking (No offense to my Memphis friends!). So many historic towns and early communities yearning to be explored are tucked away in Tennessee?s rolling hills, and among it?s many lakes and rivers. I?ve been torn between moving back there (currently living in Charlotte NC) or moving to closer to the sea. Given the outrageous cost of real estate on the coast it?s supposed to be an easy decision !

Awesome thread !! Looking forward to more stories and photos ! Carry on, sir !
 
Last edited:
Here are some odds-n-ends that did not make the posts...

Reverse of the Barber dime.
attachment.php


Shaving cream tube also found at the general store near the dime.
attachment.php
Roger looked it up on the internet. 1948.

Roger's older brother Jim.
attachment.php


A flowing spring next to the beech tree. Piped into the house. DELICIOUS water!
attachment.php


A cemetery is on the property. Roger's maternal side are the Robertsons.
attachment.php


This little guy did not see day two.
attachment.php


Infant mortality rate was high back then. Many of the children only got a rock for a head stone.
attachment.php


The owner of this Stuart station pumps it for you!
attachment.php
Stuart was named after J.E.B. Stuart, a Confederate general. He was born nearby in Ararat, VA.

While driving to Mount Airy, NC (Mayberry) a deer took offense to my crawling down the mountain on Squirrel Spur Road and "chest butted" my driver's door, folding the outside mirror. I was only going 20 mph so no damage to deer or truck.
attachment.php
╦╦C
 

Attachments

  • one dime.webp
    one dime.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 143
  • shaving.webp
    shaving.webp
    24.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Jim Turner.webp
    Jim Turner.webp
    45.9 KB · Views: 143
  • spring.webp
    spring.webp
    53.2 KB · Views: 140
  • AR.webp
    AR.webp
    50 KB · Views: 143
  • Barry Dale Robertson.webp
    Barry Dale Robertson.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 147
  • rock.webp
    rock.webp
    52 KB · Views: 152
  • pump.webp
    pump.webp
    31 KB · Views: 129
  • bump.webp
    bump.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom