Post your $1 (or less) Finds Here w/ Sold For Prices

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've gone back & forth on posting this one for various reasons. Have finally decided it's too good a score not to share. I found a brass button at an estate sale last fall. It was in a ziploc bag marked $1 with the rest of the junk jewelry. I recognized it as a button and thought it looked cool enough to take a chance at that price. When I started researching I found out it was a John Adams cuff button. I consigned it with Heritage Auctions so I left a good bit of money on the table but still ended up with over $5100.

IMG_8437.JPG

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gone back & forth on posting this one for various reasons. Have finally decided it's too good a score not to share. I found a brass button at an estate sale last fall. It was in a ziploc bag marked $1 with the rest of the junk jewelry. I recognized it as a button and thought it looked cool enough to take a chance at that price. When I started researching I found out it was a John Adams cuff button. I consigned it with Heritage Auctions so I left a good bit of money on the table but still ended up with over $5100.

View attachment 1883600
This is the kind of find that keeps me going. Congrats!

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1883600

@Trdhrhr007....wow....amazing find! Looks like someone on TNET dug one up:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/564511-john-adams-portrait-cufflink-just-found-need-help.html

@Digg....those are some great finds too! I like the key.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

View attachment 1883600

I've found that when you go with a major auction house, you get top dollar. I had a source for 1972 Olympic Torches from Munich for $700 each. I bought as many as I could because I could easily get $1100 to $1400 on Ebay. The last one I got had a T Shirt that was used for the torch relay. I sold the shirt and torch through Superior Auctions and got $4000. Yes, I had to pay 10%, but that was $400 well spent. If you can get a top auction house to take your stuff and you have a good sale for your item, you're going to do much better.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at a garage sale and they had this brooch/pendant from Ann Hand.
hand.jpg

The lady running the sale said to someone else that Ann Hand was a very famous and popular designer and her stuff sold well on Ebay. I looked her up and there was almost nothing under $50. I asked how much she wanted for the Brooch, and she said $1 each. She had 20. That was about 3 months ago, I've sold 15 of them for $25 to $35 each. 5 more to go.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it count if you get it for free? I brought home tons of stuff from the landfill when i worked there including boxes of old magazines. I just dug out a box of Town & Country magazines from 1936-38. I started them at $25 on ebay and sold several at the $25 price. I had one from July 1937 that had a flag cover by Frank Lloyd Wright. It started at $25 and when i got up the next morning, it was at $441. Sold for $557. Not bad for trash. IMG_1772.JPG

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Good deal Steve, great to see you're still in the game making bonus bucks!!!

It's pushing two years since I turned a detector on. But got into bottle digging - got over 70 on my shelves now, and I'm pretty darned pleased. Got a broken blue glass one on a fence post on my driveway dated about 1911 or so. Would have been worth some bucks if it weren't broken. As is, it's still purty :)

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just checking in. I bought a stack of 10 packages of theses iron-on Ken Nolan Navy rates for a $1 along with some other military related items that cost another few dollars. I sold 6 of them so far. All to one guy. $17.99 each. Still have 4 more left. Other than that nothing new on the $1 front. Thanks for keeping this thread alive Screenshot_20210205-115321~2.jpg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing I've absolutely noted. I actually purchased an antique jar in one of those odd shops I stopped into. It's a Ball Ideal, with a wire clamp and a red gasket with a glass lid.

il_1588xN.2370185851_mla5.jpg

Paid $9.00 for it = felt like I was stealing it! It's dated 1908.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I lost my camera some few months back, so I had to get that pic off a site I found.

Maybe someday when my Half-Heimers passes I'll be in a better strategical state.

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
sterling bowl Bought for $1 at a garage sale, sold for $45.42 (scrap).
1980s portable CD player Free from a cleanout, sold for $200 (eBay).
vintage copy of Farewell to Arms Found in box on side of road, sold for $30 (eBay).
HP 12C calculator Found in free pile at garage sale, sold for $19 (eBay).
video game guidebook Bought for $1 at garage sale, sold for $29 (eBay).
pair of small lead batteries Found next to dumpster, sold for $5 (scrap).

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this up a few months ago for a buck, just sold $250.00
Jim Morrison, The Lords and the New Creatures.
Gotta love the Lizard King! JM#1.jpg

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
portable air conditioner found on side of road, sold for $125 (craigslist)
dehumidifier found on side or road in a pile of garage sale leftovers, sold for $40 (craigslist)
non-working gas string trimmer found at town dump, sold for $5 (direct sale to a local dealer)
lot of Hallmark Christmas ornaments found in a free pile at a garage sale a year ago, sold back in December for $50 (eBay). Keep your eyes out for off-season items!

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a Butterine crock at a Salvation Army store for $1, sold for $125 in my booth. 20210605_230158.jpg

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 8 short boxes of comic books maybe 10 years ago, for little to nothing. I just got around to researching all of them. This pair sold for $124.99 recently...
Screenshot_20210730-135642~2.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paid nothing for this button (I dug it). Sold it for $1000.

Attachments

• 3BP Front.jpg.JPG
    3BP Front.jpg.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 67

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this up in a box next to our town dump (transfer station) wood pile. Weighed out at just over 4 pounds sterling, the things people toss away at the dump continues to amaze me!

Maine Jim

attachment.php

That’s the ticket!! Holy shooot! Toss a spoon in the lake for the water hunters, would yah!!!???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread