Quick thought: aliens vs metal detectors

4treasures

Greenie
Dec 9, 2010
As a mega decade-plus reader (much more of a doer than talker-poster), as well as a sci fi fan (some)...a thought...
We struggle to understand, produce, and to master a metal detector that can find even one mineral on our own planet, we often struggle/debate identifying something just 3 inches below our own feet. Think that though a bit, at least into that next paragraph.
If any alien civilization at all bothers with us, which would inevitably SUCK, and I'm pretty sure they won't be wallowing in our mud for specks of gold/whatever (Gold is largely ridiculous overall, except in perceived value...don't get me wrong, I'll take yours if you don't want it ;)).

Sooo, thoughts...if you were an alien to this planet, what resources would you prioritize, and why? Pick whatever alien scenario you like as long as it's semi-plausable, please. And skip the obvious like water and atmosphere...think a bit outside the box! Go!

Upvote 2

NJearthman

Oct 31, 2020
Central Jersey THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, EQUINOX 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK!
1637425802444.gif

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one single reason to visit a planet like the Earth: biodiversity - not something that requires to be concoured by force but rather something that could be copied without our notion.

DizzyDigger

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is one single reason to visit a planet like the Earth: biodiversity - not something that requires to be conquered by force but rather something that could be copied without our notion.

Providing that their planet is pretty much just exactly like the Earth.
Same atmospheric composition, carbon based life forms, etc. If not, Earths biodiversity could be deadly poisonous to them.

Reulte

Greenie
Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV (me and my boy have just started the hobby)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iridium because, you know, why not?

If they like chlorophyll, they'll love hemoglobin (the human analog of chlorophyll).

Actually, since chemicals are essentially 'everywhere', I suspect they'd want some more complicated chemicals that are NOT universally available. Chemicals in the human body are worth about $600 (I remember when it used to be $1.98... I'm old and there's inflation). However, if you consider those same chemicals as hormones and organs, the price goes up into the millions. A human heart is about $1 million, liver about half that and kidney about a quarter. So, only four organs and we're already up to $2 million... add in the pancreas, lungs, eyes, skin, blood vessels, bones, ligaments...

Maybe even the brain would be useful.

*cue Twilight Zone theme music and the zombipocalypse*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread