What's new

RANDOM CHAT THREAD - Chat about anything or just hang out - ALL are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Post #10 by goldencoin. Check out his list of finds there.....got excited by his finds !!
 
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-daily-snapshot/58437-mackinac-island-michigan.html
There's a good spot divulged in this thread tommy.....I'm gonna try and hit it on the way back through. The beach at port st ignice. Some great finds there.

Tons of history in the area!

A younger me would make the few hour drive to try and catch you there Bart...
Been a while since being up there.
Finding a place to swing a detector would seem tough except for private held areas.

Enjoy though!
Perfect time of year. With the exception of unstable weather/winds from rising heat.
Keep an eye out for the 45 ton Le Griffon...lost in 1679. :icon_scratch:
 
Since you guys are on the subject of Michigan, here are two Civil War era images I have in my collection of Michigan men.

scan0005.webpscan0006.webp

CDV of Captain Davis Collins, 3rd. Michigan Cavalry.

scan.webpscan0004.webp

Unidentified Michigan man. Although this photo is dated 1866, it is likley that this man was a veteran. The background and style of photo is highly reminiscent of wartime soldier portraits.
 
20190716_123754.webp here ya go relevant and tommy.....if I was close I would drive to the ferry lot and hit the american legion park. I'm pretty sure that's what goldencoin was talking about. I'm hoping I'll have some time in port after the next race so I can catch the ferry over from macinac island right to that spot. Macinac is full of relics, wish I could detect there !! I did pretty good eyeballing some 1800s relics on a little tiny beach. Only had an hour to walk around. Way to much sailing related stuff to attend to get any exploring done.
 
20190716_125540.webp possible shipwreck scatter on Google off the beach there. Bet that's the spot on the beach that goldencoin found his shipwreck related artifacts.
 
Great link relevant !! Very cool !!
 
Last edited:
Hey where is the destination Black Bart? You doing The Great Loop?

I got no walleye. Caught four small nothern pike this morning. Only fished till bout 7:00, the wind died.
 
Last edited:
I found this newspaper clipping today! I live within one mile of Boone Furnace!


10/11/1862

PORTSMOUTH On Saturday afternoon last, the 117th regiment, Lt. Col.
Keith, commanding, started on an expedition to Boone Furnace, in Kentucky
for the purpose of defending union men in that area, and capturing, if
possible a rebel force roving in that vicinity. They reached Quincy by boat
before dark and continuing there marched through the night and arrived at
the furnace about daylight Sunday morning. The rebels retreated upon their
approach and made good their escape. Suspected characters, to the number of
eighteen, residents in the neighborhood, were arrested and brought back and
a lot of horses and mules captured. The regiment returned to this place on
Wednesday afternoon and have taken up their quarters at Camp
Portsmouth.
 
Eighteen arrests. I wonder if one can find the arrest record. You should check the record for kin Rusty Relics, if you can.

Aw, shucks, all of my kin are Pennsylvanians. Now on my mom's side, there have been arrests made in the late 1800s. I don't know names because her side of the family is a mess.
 
valleysss.webp


This is a view from my front yard. As you can see, Boone Furnace is in the distance. I labeled that one position "possible picket post" because there was a war-time ridge road looking where the left most arrow is pointing. That is the perfect spot to look down the road and see if the Union Home Guard is sneaking up from behind. I think I'll grab my detector after dinner and see if it was a Picket post, if the soldier was kind enough to leave me something...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom