Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay fellas, believe it or not, I recently dug up an 1870 "CC" Seated Liberty Half Dollar. When i found it, i only knew it was a Seated Liberty Half as i didn't want to clean it in the field. Anyway, after doing the "happy dance" for a awhile I headed home to rinse it off and do some research. I knew the seated liberty halves could fetch a few hundred dollars in good shape, so i really was happy as a pig in poop with that. Then while doing some reading i came across the statement "of particular interest to collectors is the rare 1870 Carson City Seated Half.....". Now my hearts beating a tad faster, because after cleaning the mud off it IS an 1870...but what the hell is the Carson City mean?? So after some more googling I find that Carson City was a mint and coins minted there will have a small "CC" on the reverse. Holy !!!!...no friggin way...there it is, right under the eagle's talons..."CC". So now, with my heart really beating and a !!!! eatin' grin on my face, i'm back on Google searching for the value of this coin. OH MY GOD! Never in a million years did i think i could find a single coin worth what this one is. I mean previous to this, i was hoping to find a gold ring worth a couple hundred bucks. I know most of you are going to believe this coin is a fake, or I'm a liar..but rest assured i am not a liar and I've already had an authorized PCGS agent look at it and confirm that he thought it was genuine. Enough so that he offered me 5 grand! Besides, the coin has been sent off to Heritage Auctions so I'll have the proof and the check soon.

Attachments

• _MG_9579.jpg
    _MG_9579.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 871
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,014
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 736
Upvote 21

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet find! Just goes to show, you never know. Shouldn't this be up top by now?

Banner coin.

U

umrgolf

It reminded me why I do not post on this site anymore and reinforced my feelings that I made the right decision. I venture to say that even before the members of this site are done with Joe he will be or already is sorry he posted this find . Great find Joe , Good luck at auction MaineRelic

You write as though you're the victim. What about February when I found the Civil War coin spill and you left a reply on someone else's thread.. didn't it read something like this?

"maybe you would make the banner if you found four small silver coins and labeled it as a Civil War coin spill"

You made a direct violation of the rules and should have been banned from the site for such an idiotic comment.

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Super Silver Find! Congrats :thumbsup:
I'd recommend posting all your 'interesting finds', not just the 'Stunners'.
Myself and others are interested in seeing anything special you might find.
When I started, I was so excited about finding anything old, I posted most everything I found,
It seems that beginners luck is a real occurrence in this field, (it certainly was for me).
So keep on digging, post the stuff you find, and tell us a story.
With site research, knowing your detector and putting in the hours,
you'll get another find worthy of Banner Status.
Also think about submitting your story to the detecting mags, you got a really good chance
of getting this coin in one of the 'best of' issues.
I hope you got your fill of holding that piece before it was sent off,
Enjoy your windfall! HH & Keep em coming!

At the Denver Coin show a friend of mine had a 1873 cc dime he dug and Coin World magazine was interested in his coin as they were doing a two part series on Carson City coins. They should be interested in your story.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You write as though you're the victim. What about February when I found the Civil War coin spill and you left a reply on someone else's thread.. didn't it read something like this?

"maybe you would make the banner if you found four small silver coins and labeled it as a Civil War coin spill"

You made a direct violation of the rules and should have been banned from the site for such an idiotic comment.
You did made the banner with four small silver coins from the 19th century. In your post you called it a civil war spill. I never made a comment about the authenticity of your find . If you made the banner finding four small silvers from the 19th century calling it a civil war spill. Why would it not be reasonable to assume or to tell someone else that if you want to make the banner go find 4 small silver coins from the 19th century and call it a civil war spill .
You were the first to call it a civil war spill. I just reiterated what you called it. How is that breaking the rules on here ?

U

umrgolf

You did made the banner with four small silver coins from the 19th century. In your post you called it a civil war spill. I never made a comment about the authenticity of your find . If you made the banner finding four small silvers from the 19th century calling it a civil war spill. Why would it not be reasonable to assume or to tell someone else that if you want to make the banner go find 4 small silver coins from the 19th century and call it a civil war spill .
You were the first to call it a civil war spill. I just reiterated what you called it. How is that breaking the rules on here ?

You can spin it however you want. Of course I was the first to call it a civil war spill since I was the one who found it.... with dozens of civil war relics surrounding the coins.. Bottom line is you know what you meant and what message you intended to send. In my moment of excitement hunting a CW camp and finding a nice coin spill, you had to come and piss in my cheerios. I guess it was just comical to read your comment about being a victim on this site. Keep up the good work.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It reminded me why I do not post on this site anymore and reinforced my feelings that I made the right decision. I venture to say that even before the members of this site are done with Joe he will be or already is sorry he posted this find . Great find Joe , Good luck at auction MaineRelic

Who has done anything to him here ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet find! Just goes to show, you never know. Shouldn't this be up top by now?

Banner coin.

Joe found this before becoming a member here.

although it would have made Banner if he had found it today,
he cannot get a banner on a find from his past.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He got the banner on number of banner reports.

Did you ever think he got the banner of the fact it was a spill of some nice old coins ?
and would have even if the title said nice spill found ?

oldier333

Greenie
May 14, 2012
New London WI
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4k
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man. I thought a md forum would be pretty drama free. Buuuut this is the internet after all. I guess the internet doesn't do drama free lmao.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated in your signiture Thats your opinion ! But of course you are a moderator so yours counts .

Only time my opinion "counts" more than other members is when it comes to TN rules being broken, just like the other moderators and admins............

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
MaineRelic said:
As stated in your signiture Thats your opinion ! But of course you are a moderator so yours counts .

Wow dude, What's all the hard feelings regarding t-net.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have seen it happen here a few times when an incredible find is made a few folks demand incredible proof or insinuate that the person posting such a find is making it up. I decided a long time ago that if I felt that the post was suspect that i would simply just not reply to it. It's really sad that the guy that posted this coin had to come back and defend his honesty instead of just enjoying his find and the positive comments that it deserved.

Congrats again Smokinjoe on a great find, please don't let this expierence keep you from coming back and posting more finds.

HH Charlie

sejhorva

May 21, 2012
what the f#%&& is this banner? some want to explain it from top to bottom for us new folks?
instead of just telling new members" you cant be on the banner cause you are new" some of us have not a clue what you are talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread