What's new

Rare silver knee buckle, Updated with cleaner Pics.

mainer

Silver Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,405
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back and hit the field I have been diggin the last few days. It was a slow night tonight. But I did manage this Buckle that I thought was a brooch til I got it home. This is probably the best buckle I have ever dug. All in all Im happy with tonights digs. Also posted it in the what is it forum, to try an find out exactly how old it is. :thumbsup:


Heres a couple new pics of the buckle cleaned up a little better. This thing is a bear to clean. Been usuing a toothpic. That rust comes off hard.
 

Attachments

  • buckle1.webp
    buckle1.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 5,250
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 5,237
  • buckle1.webp
    buckle1.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 5,177
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 5,177
  • new1.webp
    new1.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 4,621
  • new2.webp
    new2.webp
    119.6 KB · Views: 4,622
Upvote 0
Re: Silver knee buckle

That is the best relic I have seen this year. I have a huge soft spot for colonial buckles.
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Wow!!! If you're going to find a buckle...that's the one to find! BANNER!!
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Thanks guys. Sniffy thats a real honor. Been a lot of nice stuff dug this year. Thank you. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Thanks Romeo! :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Of all the buckles I've seen posted on TN, this is definately the best.

BANNER!!!!!!
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Thank you Eagledown. Much appreciated. :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

That is one sweet silver knee buckle... I have 2 now both colonial..one being a Rev War soldiers... but not as a neat design as that ...congrats :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Thanks Patriot. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Congratulations on a real nice knee buckle! I have found broken silver ones, but never a complete one. I am going to weigh in on the age question and say 1790 - 1800 based on the pin terminals. Here is a page out of the Archaeological Excavation of Fort Ligonier by Jacob Grimm. I have found this observation about knee and shoe buckles to hold true based on examples I have found on sites where I can narrow the occupation period down to a certain window, either pre Rev War or post Rev War.

Again, nice find :headbang:
 

Attachments

  • Shoe buckles.webp
    Shoe buckles.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 4,723
Re: Silver knee buckle

romeo-1 said:
Wow!!! If you're going to find a buckle...that's the one to find! BANNER!!

yeah, the more i look at this, the more i like it :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Mainer, I can't stop looking at that knee buckle. :headbang: I called Kyle and told him about it and we were both saying how great and rare of a find this truly is. Kyle told me that he once read an account about a prominent settler in our area back in the 1790s that was know to wear silver shoe/knee buckles. :hello2:

How many Colonial coins have you found here? Great job on hunting the Maine Colonial beast. :thumbsup:

Kirk :hello:
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Excellent ornate buckle Jesse!!! That's a nice one for your Colonial collection. Congrats, Quindy.
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Fantastic find.

Banner-worthy for sure.

Enjoy your posts. Looking forward to more of them.

Congrats.

Brian in MA
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Congratulations from down south. :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Awesome find :icon_thumright: Congratulations :icon_thumleft:
TTH
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Smells like Banner to me, can't wait till someone tracks down info on the hallmark.
Now go and find the matching pair!
Carl
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Wow that is a great buckle :icon_thumleft: I love finding them ...I never found a silver one...1730-1760 im pretty sure...That is an incredible find...Well done :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

Thank you all so much. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk, this came from the same field I dug the 1694 William and Mary, and the KG II. Have also dug half a shoe buckle, and some colonial buttons. :thumbsup: Thanks for the nice comments.
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Smells like Banner to me, can't wait till someone tracks down info on the hallmark.
Now go and find the matching pair!
Carl

I think the odds of finding the other one are worse then winning the lottery. But you can bet I will try. ;D
 
Re: Rare silver knee buckle

sweet find ;D congrats :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom