What's new

Rare silver knee buckle, Updated with cleaner Pics.

mainer

Silver Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,405
Reaction score
38
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back and hit the field I have been diggin the last few days. It was a slow night tonight. But I did manage this Buckle that I thought was a brooch til I got it home. This is probably the best buckle I have ever dug. All in all Im happy with tonights digs. Also posted it in the what is it forum, to try an find out exactly how old it is. :thumbsup:


Heres a couple new pics of the buckle cleaned up a little better. This thing is a bear to clean. Been usuing a toothpic. That rust comes off hard.
 

Attachments

  • buckle1.webp
    buckle1.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 5,250
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 5,237
  • buckle1.webp
    buckle1.webp
    100.1 KB · Views: 5,177
  • buckle2.webp
    buckle2.webp
    90.4 KB · Views: 5,177
  • new1.webp
    new1.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 4,621
  • new2.webp
    new2.webp
    119.6 KB · Views: 4,622
Upvote 0
Re: Rare silver knee buckle

that's freakin gorgeous! congrats dude! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Rare silver knee buckle

That's about the best buckle i've seen posted so far. I would be content to coast out the rest of the year and be content that 2010 was a resounding success. Congrats Mainer.
Chris
 
Re: Rare silver knee buckle

Wow :o As soon as I saw the pictures of this piece I thought, man that thing really has some age!
Congratulations on your incredible find mainer! :notworthy:
 
Re: Rare silver knee buckle

wow fantastic find, what a beauty.

stupid question, what is a knee buckle?
I try to google it and get a bunch of links about buckleing knees :tongue3:

Edit: Oh and Banner vote all the way
 
Re: Rare silver knee buckle

That is a nice one for sure :thumbsup:

Brian
 
Re: Rare silver knee buckle

Wow Mainer, you gave me nervous stomach just at the sight of it! Very nice find :icon_thumleft: you have my vote chief.
 
Re: Silver knee buckle

umrgolf2010 said:
mainer said:
:laughing9:
umrgolf2010 said:
Jesse, after reading Crusaders and others comments on the what is it section, it is pretty clear you have made an amazing discovery here. This would seem to me a definite banner find and probably has a fair amount of value.. Easily one of my top 3 favorite finds this year by anyone on the forum. :notworthy:

Spoken from a true friend. Thank you so much Jeff. :icon_thumright:

In regards to rarity, anytime you dig something English made that Crusader doesnt have, good bet its rare :laughing9:

Not only me but most of the UK, its not in any of my 4 Buckle Books, its not recorded on the Portable Antiquities Scheme or the UKDFD. Not to say others haven't found any, only that none were available when the books were done or recorded properly. However, this does indicate its rarity!

Lets get the first UK Banner buckle :thumbsup:
 
Re: Rare silver knee buckle

amazing knee buckle! I have one almost identical EXCEPT it's not SILVER!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Super sweet find buddy and it's a Banner find no doubt! :wink:
 
Re: Rare silver knee buckle

Thanks to everyone that has voted and responded. I appreciate it. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    26 KB · Views: 4,158
Great job on cleaning the buckle. How did you do it? I would like to see the other side as well. This should be on the Banner. :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Kirk
 
Thanks for the link Deepdigger. :icon_thumleft:

Hey Kirk, I used a toothpick to clean it. Took a while. Still picking away at the back. No Pun intended. :thumbsup:
 
I was wondering how well that would clean.... and it did! :thumbsup: Will look great in your case.
 
Hey IP, what do you think is a rarer dig? A silver shoe buckle or knee buckle? Just asking out of curiousity. I dug about 3/4's of a silver shoe buckle this spring. And I think I have another piece of one kicking around here somewhere.
 
mainer said:
Hey IP, what do you think is a rarer dig? A silver shoe buckle or knee buckle? Just asking out of curiousity. I dug about 3/4's of a silver shoe buckle this spring. And I think I have another piece of one kicking around here somewhere.

About the same. I remember that silver shoe buckle from you this year. I would take part of one and call it a great relic.

Kirk
 
mainer said:
Hey IP, what do you think is a rarer dig? A silver shoe buckle or knee buckle? Just asking out of curiousity. I dug about 3/4's of a silver shoe buckle this spring. And I think I have another piece of one kicking around here somewhere.


I would say about even. It's something I think we should see more of, but here we don't dig many, period, nevermind silver.

I have a friend who dug a killer early silver knee buckle. Was probably early 1700s, loaded with marks, and still worked! I haven't seen a better one found.
 
Thanks Kirk and IP. I have dug probably in the neighborhood of 15-20 shoe buckles this year. Some whole mostly broken ones. I think this is the first knee buckle of the year. Which is why I asked.
 
Yep...that is real treasure!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom