What's new

real or fake?

moundbuilder

Full Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
157
Reaction score
34
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
???
 

Attachments

  • bw.webp
    bw.webp
    36.9 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0
Charter members can sell or trade on our classified forums.... Artifacts for sell would be under "Treasure Related Stuff For Sale".............

Charter Member Classifieds

Sorry again, I have heard of fields being salted with fakes. When someone suggested to taste them and check to see if they tasted like salt, I did. All of them. I had real hope when I licked them and they didn't taste like salt at all, they tasted like dirt and sand. That is why I asked opinions on their authenticity. I'm not really selling them, I thought I might get more Expert opinions if I said they were for sell. I didn't mean to break rules and I take everyone's help with a grain of salt, no pun intended. Someday, I'll make Charter Member status. Until then, I'll likely keep my fines to myself from here on.
 
fines, I have seen your pic somewhere before but I can remember where. So please do tell. Besides everyone read his avatar. Been hunting since 1851
 
I just read a post of his from April 16 2011 that he posted the same point..the same photo.. and someone told him they remember the day he found it and made no mention of any plowed up cache.
 
Last edited:
thanks, the edges are sharp enough to cut a sirloin. It looks really clean and fresh, too but I think it's real. I found it along with a cache of Cahokia points in Kentucky. The field was just plowed. I'm waiting for the papers from a well-known authenticator and will have the flint carbon dated if he rejects it. The farmer's son said it looked like a Ft. Payne Greenbrier. The Cahokias it was found in association with were all made from obsidian and all are for sell. Sorry for the photos, it won't let me upload better pics. I also found this un-notched Clovis on the same site. 6 5/8" x 1 5/8"View attachment 686986


First, finding a Cache of Cahokia Points in Kentucky would be extremely rare considering how far you are from the Cahokia Mounds.

Second, there are absolutley zero Cahokia Points in that bogus picture you posted.

And third, that large Blade is not an unfluted Clovis and probably isn't even Paleo related. More than likely just a large Archaic Knife.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
lol, best thread here in awhile, those are nice pieces MB.
 
I really think some one is pulling your leg when they say taste it. "Salting" the field with fakes. "salting"! Get it? If not, you can go snipe hunting with me, and we will discuss it then.
 
Sorry but carbon dating does nothing except tell you the age of the material,not the age of the point.
 
Here is an insitu. Of a snipe hunt I went on today. ...

ForumRunner_20121013_235407.webp
 
Here's a better photo.

snipe_hunt.webp
 
I really think some one is pulling your leg when they say taste it. "Salting" the field with fakes. "salting"! Get it? If not, you can go snipe hunting with me, and we will discuss it then.

If someone uses an acid bath to try to fake patina on a repro piece many times it will have a salty taste, that was when I thought it was one he bought, not found...................
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
If someone uses an acid bath to try to fake patina on a repro piece many times it will have a salty taste, that was when I thought it was one he bought, not found...................

I guess I'll hold the bag while mound builder runs them out. Jokes on me!!
 
GaRebel1861 said:

Please take no offense, but you look kinda like a Norman Rockwell painting in that pic. One more thing insitu?? Where in the world is an artifact in that picture??
 
I'm just shaking my head.... oh boy...............
 
GatorBoy said:
I'm just shaking my head.... oh boy...............

I know why you are shaking your head now. I so feel like a jack ass. On my phone, I have to scroll from side to side to see the whole pic. Disadvantage of iPhone, small screen. I could only see the edges of those huge points. Thought they were just rocks until I read you post and looked at it again. Sorry Norman, nice human sized points you have there. Boy, I knew I often spoke too soon, but type, on a phone too soon. Geeez! What the hell happened to me? Heeeehawww
Heeeehaaawwwww. Lol
 
Please take no offense, but you look kinda like a Norman Rockwell painting in that pic. One more thing insitu?? Where in the world is an artifact in that picture??

Georgia Rebel 1861 (me!) has nothing to do with this SNAFU. I was just reading and following it. :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom