What's new

Show me something Im bored

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surly you have a favorite artifact you love to share? The grass is long in the fields and the creeks are covered with leaves. I am bored to death around the house so bored I went and mowed all the leaves and dead grass. So show me a favorite it can be recent or something from the past you found or bought I dont really care but it has to be a artifact or something related like a book on artifacts. So lets see something!!! rock
 

Attachments

  • SDC10061.webp
    SDC10061.webp
    355.2 KB · Views: 192
  • SDC10385.webp
    SDC10385.webp
    333 KB · Views: 177
Upvote 0
I found this thing in a cornfield among other debris. Very odd.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0699.webp
    DSCN0699.webp
    273.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN0703.webp
    DSCN0703.webp
    539.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN0702.webp
    DSCN0702.webp
    287.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN0701.webp
    DSCN0701.webp
    376 KB · Views: 101
Hey Rock
I remember you talking about always finding chewed beaver sticks thought you might enjoy these. These bones came out of a shell trash miden on a creek the beavers had burrowed into and chewed up.
They are very old and I found them many years ago.My guess is they chewed them when they we were fresh.

IMG_5166.webp
 
If you're still bored I can show you the other side of mine!:laughing7:
 
Hey Rock
I remember you talking about always finding chewed beaver sticks thought you might enjoy these. These bones came out of a shell trash miden on a creek the beavers had burrowed into and chewed up.
They are very old and I found them many years ago.My guess is they chewed them when they we were fresh.

View attachment 1524780

I havent found any good beaver sticks to use this year at all. I think the stick chewers went on a far away vacation and decided to stay.
 
I found this thing in a cornfield among other debris. Very odd.

Its got a very nice shape to it but you can see its broken in half so I think it was probably a nice oval scraper at 1 time.
 
Some from 2016
 

Attachments

  • SDC11474.webp
    SDC11474.webp
    361.8 KB · Views: 93
  • SDC11671.webp
    SDC11671.webp
    349.8 KB · Views: 87
  • SDC11610.webp
    SDC11610.webp
    329.1 KB · Views: 88
  • SDC11854.webp
    SDC11854.webp
    739 KB · Views: 88
  • SDC12017.webp
    SDC12017.webp
    698.2 KB · Views: 98
Hey Rock, I like the rim on the pottery piece. Nice design to it!
 
Surly you have a favorite artifact you love to share? The grass is long in the fields and the creeks are covered with leaves. I am bored to death around the house so bored I went and mowed all the leaves and dead grass. So show me a favorite it can be recent or something from the past you found or bought I dont really care but it has to be a artifact or something related like a book on artifacts. So lets see something!!! rock

THIS will cure your "boredom" 009.webp Real Fast :)!
 
Hey Rock, I like the rim on the pottery piece. Nice design to it!

Its one of my best imo. I didnt even wash it I like the look it holds now. Its not the oldest piece I have ever found but it is Mississippian period. Lamar I do think but cant remember for sure.
 
How about this boatstone? I went to a local farm auction the advertised "arrowheads" along with everything the family had owned for over 100 year. There were 3 small riker cases with relics that sold for too much. In the yard were dozens of 50 pound dog food bags and banana boxes full of rocks and crystals. I searched every bag/box. This was in the bottom of one box with a bunch of points. I covered everything back up and bought the box for $10. Boatstone and 67 Whole points!IMG_0996.webpIMG_0999.webpIMG_0998.webp
 
I found this Conch Shell Horn sitting on a table at a flea market in Beckley WV. It was $1. I paid the man, then asked if he had any Indian Relics. He said that he had been at an auction the week before where thousands of dollars worth of relics had been sold but he hadn't bought any. I asked where the shell had come from. It came in a box of junk from that auction. ALWAYS CHECK THE JUNK BOXES!!!!IMG_1000.webpIMG_1002.webpIMG_1003.webpIMG_1004.webp
 
The Conch horn still blows and is loud. It can be heard from over 1/2 mile away. Years ago, I was helping build the Native American Village at Explore Park in Roanoke VA. I showed this horn to the interpreter and he made one like it. The Village was a good ways from the office and had no radio to contact the office. Dan told the main office that if they heard the conch horn blow three times to send the park EMTs. He didn't tell me. The next time I went, I parked about a half mile from camp and blew my horn to let them know that I was coming. Dan blew his in reply and I blew it one more time for fun. When I got to camp, there were some very POed EMTs in camp. I left the horn home after that.
 
KIMG0640.webpKIMG0641.webp
I bought this from a farmer near Murfreesboro, Tn. He was selling old farm stuff, milk cans, etc. He had a box of field grade points. I asked him if he had anymore artifacts. He showed me this pipe. His brother found it on the farm & they used to smoke pot in it. He said he scrubbed it up good & would take 50 bucks for it. It has several Talley marks on it. Looks like a fine limestone material. A good collector friend keeps trying to buy it from me. No way!
 
View attachment 1525738Here's a few things from Oklahoma. A lot of this material is alibates flint, which came from the Texas panhandle about 200 miles west, but you can find chunks of it that have washed down the Canadian River. Two Harihey (sp?) knives, a fine example of a broken point re-worked into a scraper,and just kind of a cute little finger drill. Most of this is from the Plains Village era, maybe 500-1000 years ago. The two larger pieces on the right are from the eastern part of the state, and probably date back to the woodland or archaic period. The quartz piece on the bottom of the pic is an unusual shape.
 
12-12c.webpAnd here's some you can speculate on rock. These are not typical of artifacts associated with the Plains Village era. They appear much older, different workmanship, and heavy patina on a couple. These 3 all come from the same site, and there's no acknowledged paleo sites in that county in Oklahoma. Archaic, 8,000 years back is a possibility I guess. I'm the only person alive now that knows where this site is, the archy's showed a lot of interest in these, and I decided to be very vague, as I intend to get out there myself and do a closer examination of the area someday.
 
Personal Finds

For the pottery lovers
 

Attachments

  • SDC11715.webp
    SDC11715.webp
    638.2 KB · Views: 82
  • SDC11717.webp
    SDC11717.webp
    654.8 KB · Views: 75
  • SDC10290.webp
    SDC10290.webp
    300.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_4308.webp
    100_4308.webp
    201.2 KB · Views: 64
  • SDC11541.webp
    SDC11541.webp
    972.2 KB · Views: 79
  • SDC10373.webp
    SDC10373.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • SDC11219.webp
    SDC11219.webp
    563.8 KB · Views: 77
  • SDC12221.webp
    SDC12221.webp
    751.6 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom