Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I WAS HELPINE MY NEIGHBOR TEAR DOWN HIS OLD BARN UP HERE IN MAINE AND WE FOUND THIS OLD LEATHER COLLAR IN A CRAWL SPACE UNDER SOME FLOOR BOARDS . THE BRASS TAG SAYS : JAMES N. O. BOE
B . 1815
IT SEEMS ODD THAT A FAMILY PET WOULD HAVE SUCH A LONG NAME AND A BORN DATE ON ITS COLLAR . IT'S RATHER SMALL , INSIDE DIAMETER IS 4 1/4 INCHES . THE BUCKLE HAS A ''RING '' HASP WHERE A SMALL PADLOCK MAY HAVE BEEN . THE RING SHOWS LOTS OF WEAR . ANY IDEAS??

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 8,492
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 3,782

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be an Ankle Tag,,,,,,,,,, slave or Prisoner. if thats a date of birth, I'd say more likely slave

Upvote 0

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
:) THATS ONE INT,FIND MOJJAX,I dont think I could sleep not knowing more abought it if it was mine.GOOD LUCK and be sure to update us.HH

Upvote 0

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
name was probably the owner of the critter. Check property lists to see if that guy owned the place in the past and get a date that way. exanimo, ss

Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
jeff of pa said:
could be an Ankle Tag,,,,,,,,,, slave or Prisoner. if thats a date of birth, I'd say more likely slave

Question is, would the births of slaves, especially in 1815, been something that was normally recorded?

Upvote 0

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Look at the size of this collar.Dogs have always had more than one name for people of wealth.I had one male poodle who's name was pappy jay babo Houston and the female name was Meme amour Houston.4 1/4' is very small and would not fit on a persons neck.

Upvote 0

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Shackles for slaves were never made from leather. Research slave antiques and you'll see they were typically made of metal.

Looks like a an old dog collar. Long names were typical of high-dollar purebreeds.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
S

stefen

A sure way to find out if the collor was used for a dog or a man...since its leather, have a scraping analysised for DNA...

Sweat from a man and dead skin particles would adhere or penetrate the leather...

All WAGS would go to the wayside...

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
the Bowe 's BOE's Bow's

Also appear to Come from Ireland

So My guess he wasn't a Slave

http://genforum.genealogy.com/ireland/messages/67531.html

and although I Found
James Boe - International Genealogical Index
James is a Common name

Ain't nothing wrong with a good Catholic slave. :thumbsup: I wonder if there would be shamrocks on the slave tags. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
stefen said:
A sure way to find out if the collor was used for a dog or a man...since its leather, have a scraping analysised for DNA...

All WAGS would go to the wayside...
And how much does a DNA analysis cost?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread