So... Please tell me Why does a metal detector cost $2499 again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't have said it any better, UncleMatt! Don't fall for the "It's the newest thing, I have to have it" mentality. And don't fall for all the "unbiased" opinions posted here by the guys who sell them (or their pals who sell them).

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, if their customer base only consisted of wealthy people who could pay any price they wanted to, that wouldn't be the case. But since most people who use metal detectors are middle class and lower, they must be sensitive to pricing. Just stop buying, and wait...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh OK, Thanks for clarifying that. I was under the impression that manufacturers spend lots and lots of time money and resources investigating consumer sentiment.
I though that they painstakingly investigated their target demographic before committing to infrastructure and tooling.

Another possibility is that they simply see no need to respect you or communicate sincerely.
el pardon .. You are right they do check these sites out to find out what is happening .. If they say they do not they are not truthful … But we know that company people would not lie to us they lie to each other .. But for the most part i would say they do not care about what we think.. Except for Nokta they told them what would work better on there detectors and in less in 2 months they made the changes … That is unheard of.. They did not say well we have to go through a year or 2 of research before we do it .. they did it..in less than 2 months..

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok....how long does a person "Wait"? I've been waiting and waiting. It has been around for a while now and it hasn't seem to come down. Looks like the boycott hasn't worked. Looked for a used one, guess what....just like TH said....they have held their value. Few for sale and approx 80% retail.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that there is a big difference between a company that makes metal detectors vs. a company that makes mass electronics. (ex: cellphones) The number of detector units sold is a fraction of what cell phone companies sell. So your consumer base is small, so the cost of the items you sell have to be more expensive to make a decent profit. Plus dealers also mark up the product to make a profit. Even in the second hand market, the dealer will pay you around half of what they will sell it for.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a CTX 3030. It was worth every penny in the iron rich soil where I live. I wouldn't change a thing and it brings me a lot of enjoyment.

Great discussion topic and many excellent points-of-view.

Cheers everyone

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
El padron,

Not sure why you are such an angry person....nor do I care. I also do not care what is inside the medal detector. I care that it works.....it does....I'm happy. Why cant you just be happy for me el padron? That's very important to me...you believe that dont you?

I'm not at all angry, I guess I just write that way, I'm not aware of it. Generally I run around thrilled. :)

Oh, and I am sincerely happy for you.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The problem is present day mentality! It use to be in business that you would seek a fair profit. That's how I was raised and educated in business administrated but today greed has set in as all seek to be millionaires. The theme of the new set is make as much as you can as fast as you can. There are no morels in business any more.
I watched it change! Frankn five star.png
thumb up 700 invert red.jpg My thought on todays business practices!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greedy people aren't anything new, they just focus on the short term gain and not long term viability. That goes on in every single large company these days! its all about the next quarter, not the next quarter century....

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because we will simply pay it! It is human nature. Put a nice description on it; say it is better than everything else; swear it will find things no other has; then give it to the public to buy! It is this way almost in any material or item manufactured. Remember when car prices use to be more inline 40 years ago and look today! Prices are way off kilter even with the technology of today!

If you don't buy and put a dent in the needed cash flow they need back into the business they lower price to try and stimulate sales. But we are an impatient and I want it yesterday society so the seller is at an advantage.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MDs are not made on a automated Assembly line , anything that's made and assembled by hand costs more weather the relieabity of such item . Then the Technology your purchase inside as a set value ii suppose . A rag top bug looks cute but far from a BMW Formula F-1 internals .

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Headphones are not usually dedicated. Luckily Minelab doesn't force us to use their headphones.
I use cheap Sony headphones when ever its feasible. But yeah....
Garrett tries on there new AT Pros & Gold

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem is present day mentality! It use to be in business that you would seek a fair profit. That's how I was raised and educated in business administrated but today greed has set in as all seek to be millionaires. The theme of the new set is make as much as you can as fast as you can. There are no morels in business any more.
I watched it change! Frankn View attachment 1105618
View attachment 1105619 My thought on todays business practices!

Not all business is that way, my wife's business is run very fairly. She could charge double what she does for the quality of work she does, but does not for faith reasons.

BC

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golf, fishing, hunting, I've had a lot of expensive hobbies over the years. However, MDing is the only one that consistently pays me something back. So if I pay $3000 for a machine I figure I can eventually recover enough to pay for it. Can't say that about rifles & shotguns, golf clubs, bows, boats, campers, etc, etc, etc. Wouldn't it be nice if we could make a little $$$ with everything we paid way too much for and purchased. :laughing7:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because when the GPX5000 came out, people that used it were finding a ton of gold in patches around the world that had been "hunted out". The GPX5000 sells for $5000+. People that buy them, use them and many times make much more in gold finds than they spend on their detector.

I don't care about the hobby. I care that a piece of equipment I buy will make it more possible for me to find what I am looking for, whether it be Gold, Caches, old mines, etc. I don't coinshoot. I don't do beaches as much as I probably should living in Southern California. Most of my time detecting is spent in pretty rugged, dry, mountains.

Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Title is wrong, detectors don't cost $2499, they cost from about $50 to over $6000, just depends on how much someone CHOSES to spend to enjoy their hobby, it is called free enterprise and consumer choice.......

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Title is wrong, detectors don't cost $2499, they cost from about $50 to over $6000, just depends on how much someone CHOSES to spend to enjoy their hobby, it is called free enterprise and consumer choice

I choose NOT to buy a detector for 2k that will sell for $949.00 a few months later.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I choose NOT to buy a $125 pinpointer that isn't even waterproof.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I choose NOT to buy a $50 digger when I can buy one just as good (if not better) for $8 at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread