Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Old Silver

Banned
Aug 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you hijacking this thread, and what trouble are you claiming I'm making that you have this obsessive need to call me out on?
'NUFF SAID!

Still using the same old tactics, I see. Hijacking to the point of blowing up a thread, and then accusing someone else of doing it, because they call you on it. It looks like you'd eventually get tired of that, but I guess that's all you have to keep you going. It must be a miserable life.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ANYWAY... going BACK to the TOPIC, that Paul was writing about; secret branches of FreeMasonry pertaining to Cryptic Masonry...
We will try if Old Silver permits.
If the BEALE PAPERS is alluding to esoteric arcane "Cryptic Masonry" to what purpose did that serve being printed and sold on 1885 Lynchburg?
Also, if it was alluded to Masonic "secrets", what purpose did cousin John William Sherman's newspaper review serve with grab a shovel and go to Bedford county?
There have been many interpretations of what the BEALE PAPERS were really about, but it always returns to being a clever localized period adventure/treasure dime novel with the added feature of play along ciphers as parlor entertainment.

Old Silver

Banned
Aug 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will try if Old Silver permits.
If the BEALE PAPERS is alluding to esoteric arcane "Cryptic Masonry" to what purpose did that serve being printed and sold on 1885 Lynchburg?
Also, if it was alluded to Masonic "secrets", what purpose did cousin John William Sherman's newspaper review serve with grab a shovel and go to Bedford county?
There have been many interpretations of what the BEALE PAPERS were really about, but it always returns to being a clever localized period adventure/treasure dime novel with the added feature of play along ciphers as parlor entertainment.

Same old tactics.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe the author was likely one of three men- and possibly all three, working together.
These men are George M. Osgoodby, George W. Cooley and William W. Austin
Do any of these men have a connection to James Beverly Ward, agent and publisher for the author?
Without that proven connection, this is just another fitting pieces to support one's pet theory.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
1885...? No...

You may know more about context back then. As in , were Masons even slightly interested in association with published newspaper stories. (Or if story is offending to some , account of the Beale excursion).

When invites went out some years back in a local town I got to wondering if there were folks fallen away, or disgruntled , or just suspicious and never went in a lodge... That would try to publish something to negatively reflect on Masons.
(All that thought inspired back then due to Beale and the mention of Masons at the time those invites went out...)

The "journey" ,discovery and return ;suit a pamphlet to get some folks in Virginia excited.
Once scrutiny and pursuit of nuance and allegory come into play too much.... Shovels get abandon. Or at least sharpened.

How dull was life for some in the area of the author(s)? Were other such "events" published in competing papers? (No , E.C.S. I'm not leaning towards nickel/dime novels . A similar scale of intent maybe.. But better effort involved.)

Did the author(s) need money as in Cotton or others?
Or was there entertainment value in a wild goose chase to stir up the populace? And excitement enough to keep a papers customers subscribing/buying "us" vs the competition?

Logic is a funny thing. The story gets bumpy in logic if tried too hard. Not exclusive to just the Beale account but unrelated ones too.
I'll spare the reader examples too much. Yet even with R.L.Stevenson I get stuck on something discovered the umteenth time reading it , that I know is simply a story , so logic need not apply. But is so flawed , it don't fit.
IF the papers were written to enjoy , (and it's hidden wealth that might not have been recovered after all, what's not to enjoy at the prospect , or citizens fevered wonderings if it might just be true being enjoyed by the writer(s) ) then it's a case of read once , and carry on with what's next. The story gives the area. Re-reading it over and over won't narrow it down. Heck , even the author let us know he's already exhausted the trying to ferret out more.
We might not have our own personal gold rush , but grab a shovel , we might have treasure!

A smear on an organization or individual seems less likely , but not out of the realm of possibility.
Bringing me back to Reb..
Did Masons have detractors, competition ,or enemies that would try to credit them with involvement in a scheme during that era?
Or as has been referred to often , merely an author(s) with some knowledge of Masons?
Masons wouldn't seem to need or desire such a publication. (?)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You may know more about context back then. As in , were Masons even slightly interested in association with published newspaper stories. (Or if story is offending to some , account of the Beale excursion).

When invites went out some years back in a local town I got to wondering if there were folks fallen away, or disgruntled , or just suspicious and never went in a lodge... That would try to publish something to negatively reflect on Masons.
(All that thought inspired back then due to Beale and the mention of Masons at the time those invites went out...)

The "journey" ,discovery and return ;suit a pamphlet to get some folks in Virginia excited.
Once scrutiny and pursuit of nuance and allegory come into play too much.... Shovels get abandon. Or at least sharpened.

How dull was life for some in the area of the author(s)? Were other such "events" published in competing papers? (No , E.C.S. I'm not leaning towards nickel/dime novels . A similar scale of intent maybe.. But better effort involved.)

Did the author(s) need money as in Cotton or others?
Or was there entertainment value in a wild goose chase to stir up the populace? And excitement enough to keep a papers customers subscribing/buying "us" vs the competition?

Logic is a funny thing. The story gets bumpy in logic if tried too hard. Not exclusive to just the Beale account but unrelated ones too.
I'll spare the reader examples too much. Yet even with R.L.Stevenson I get stuck on something discovered the umteenth time reading it , that I know is simply a story , so logic need not apply. But is so flawed , it don't fit.
IF the papers were written to enjoy , (and it's hidden wealth that might not have been recovered after all, what's not to enjoy at the prospect , or citizens fevered wonderings if it might just be true being enjoyed by the writer(s) ) then it's a case of read once , and carry on with what's next. The story gives the area. Re-reading it over and over won't narrow it down. Heck , even the author let us know he's already exhausted the trying to ferret out more.
We might not have our own personal gold rush , but grab a shovel , we might have treasure!

A smear on an organization or individual seems less likely , but not out of the realm of possibility.
Bringing me back to Reb..
Did Masons have detractors, competition ,or enemies that would try to credit them with involvement in a scheme during that era?
Or as has been referred to often , merely an author(s) with some knowledge of Masons?
Agree.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
That is the point that makes the Mason allegory theory highly questionable.
When all these unprovable theories are discarded, what remains is the pamphlet's localized dime novel adventure/treasure story with the clever device of those play along story ciphers.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
No matter the theory, it MUST directly show a connection to the "agent" and publisher, James Beverly Ward.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That is the point that makes the Mason allegory theory highly questionable.
When all these unprovable theories are discarded, what remains is the pamphlet's localized dime novel adventure/treasure story woth the clever device of those play along story ciphers.

And when a cipher is introduced , the convenience of Masons using (albeit different) cipher helps even if subconsciously , draw speculation their direction if any other perceived reference to Masons exist.. From members, members family , or simply stone working. Or mention of stone.
Though in fairness we see others considered , Poe ect... When ciphers send the reader grasping for potential origins.
Which illustrates the cleverness of the papers. OR maybe more , the cleverness of the readers imaginations.

When grasping , links are easier to establish than when insisting on fact..

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
11016207_1.jpg

Old Silver

Banned
Aug 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When all these unprovable theories are discarded, what remains is the pamphlet's localized dime novel adventure/treasure story with the clever device of those play along story ciphers.

Then why are you here? I certainly wouldn't be hanging around a group of people who believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny, so why would such an intelligent man as yourself want to waste time with a bunch of nuts like those of us who like to research the Beale story? This is not a new question, but a real answer has never been given.

Old Silver

Banned
Aug 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When grasping , links are easier to establish than when insisting on fact..

As you and a couple of others have proved through the years. What you say is true, but it goes both ways. People on both sides of the issue are known to grasp from time to time. Still nothing proven or unproven.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As you and a couple of others have proved through the years. What you say is true, but it goes both ways. People on both sides of the issue are known to grasp from time to time. Still nothing proven or unproven.

Staying power of the papers is well proven.

The author(s) would likely be amazed. Maybe.:laughing7:

Old Silver

Banned
Aug 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Staying power of the papers is well proven.

The author(s) would likely be amazed. Maybe.:laughing7:

Staying power of the papers. What does that prove, or disprove? If you are so much against the Beale papers, then why in the world do you want to hang out here? It looks like you might be part of that staying power.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread