What's new

Sometimes Things Are Just Meant To Be Found.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
5,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to go bow hunting today, but the wind was blowing real hard . So I waited and went toward the mid day and the wind just did not wont to lay down, so I decided to try to make a stalk hunt. I came across some fresh hog signs and fell in behind them. They had really tore up a ridge top, I knew they were real close and I keep my eyes looking for movement, but I could not keep from looking at the dirt they had turned over. I had almost walked past this and the sun changed and I spotted the edge. At first I thought it was a piece of pottery, till I got a closer look and then I thought it was going to be broke. 10-5-14 002.webp When I pulled it out all I could say was( Thank You Jesus),10-5-14 003.webp it is such a rush when you find a nice piece, I forgot all about the hogs. This is the first whole gorget that I have ever found and the only one made from slate. Slate is something that does not come from this area, so it had to be traded into this area. I wiped it off the best I could but was to scared to dig out the dirt in the holes.10-5-14 006.webpSo when I got home I got out the dental pick and went to work with it and the electric tooth brush and this is a cleaned up photo.10-5-14 013.webp
I have always had to dig, walk fields and creeks to find things, this has made me think of the things that are just laying out there to be found by someone. I did not have artifact hunting on my mind due to all the leaves that have fallen, but I can't keep my eye's off of fresh dirt. It's going to be a long deer season I think.
 
Upvote 0
Incredible find! Very cool how you came across it too.
 
What the heck is a Gorget???

I wondered that too so I Googled it. Apparently a gorget is typically a protective piece of armor for a soldier's throat/neck area. In this case it is probably decorative but I suppose it could be functional as well. It's beautiful, whatever it is...
 
I wondered that too so I Googled it. Apparently a gorget is typically a protective piece of armor for a soldier's throat/neck area. In this case it is probably decorative but I suppose it could be functional as well. It's beautiful, whatever it is...

With respect to the artifact above the name gorget is European and was given to these artifacts by Europeans only because of how similar they look it really has nothing to do with describing their function
 
Great find there, Congrats !!
 
Dang that's a nice find! It's one of those finds that you just got to keep looking at the rest of the day. You got a Banner vote from me on that! Good luck!
 
WOW, that's a beautiful piece of slate. Great find, congrats, definitely banner worthy. Thanks for the show.
 
Very pretty material on that one, congrats
 
What a beautiful piece.That is a high-end piece of the sort from what I have seen.What beautiful bands it has!RARE! My vote is in!
 
Thanks everyone I wanted to take it to work but thought I would wreck the truck looking at it. I just got in had a 17hr. day and 675 miles. Saw where some wanted to see other side, it did not clean up as good a the other side.002.webpGot to get back at it by 2am, once again Thanks for all the votes and compliments.:notworthy:
 
Killer Banner find!!!
Would like to see some up close pics!
 
Would like to see some up close pics![/QUOTE said:
"Click'' on the photo twice to zoom in!
 
INSTABANNER!!

wow monster your good karma is rewarding you once again

just beautiful
 
Any "gorget" is a scarce find. A complete gorget is exceptional. A complete gorget intentionally incorporating the materials natural concentric banding, and exhibiting "tally' marks as well... I can't think of an appropriate adjective to describe how wonderful that is! Congratulations, and you have my banner vote as well. HH
 
Awesome piece, very interesting how you found this great artifact!!
 
Thanks for showing the other side for me. WOW!! Looking at the first pic in this thread spins my head around. I wander if I've ever stomped over any thing like this. Tell me this!! Is a big buck better than finding this? For me, the answer is no.
 
beautiful find
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom