Superstition People, Places, & Things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hal,

I agree that it needs to be photographed in hi-resolution, and posted for everybody.

Mike

I think that as the clock ticks, the opportunity becomes increasingly difficult.
But, if you have the time...

Mike, you have done some great work photographing the stone maps and most here appreciate it. Hopefully you have the time and something more than an iPad and a Victoria Secret towel.

Last edited:
I think that as the clock ticks, the opportunity becomes increasingly difficult.
But, if you have the time...

Mike, you have done some great work photographing the stone maps and most here appreciate it. Hopefully you have the time and something more that an iPad and a Victoria Secret towel.

Hal,

That's a very nice photo. I assume that's you holding the artifact. Can you tell us when and where the picture was taken.

Thanks,

Joe

It's a sun dial piece.

Duh!!

You're reachin Bill ...reachin.8-)

chainsaw13.jpg

Hal,

That's a very nice photo. I assume that's you holding the artifact. Can you tell us when and where the picture was taken.

Thanks,

Joe

Thanks cactusjumper - that is me and it is the artifact. I took it around 8:00am at Tortilla Flat, on the 22nd of this month.
Its been on public display there for a few years I think.

Your right, I'm reaching.

Actually it looks as though it was made from melted and forged horse shoes.

Lots of links to her in the world of the Jesuits and early Mexico.

I think she watches over all of us on here. I know as a saint she is one of the most special ones in Mexico because of the way she came about with Juan Diego. She has also appeared to many, maybe even some people posting on here. I know she's always somehow finding her way into my realm. Either by a small religious object on the ground or by some other way. I recently bought a 69 Coronet 500 and brought it all the way here from New Mexico.

Parked it and was working on it one day when I noticed it had a giant inlay of her etched right into the rear glass of the car. I just shook my head.

Nice link for the object in hand.

Thanks Hal for taking the time to track down the artifact, take the great pictures, and then taking the extra time to post them for all to see.
I don't know about any "Ipad and Victoria Secret Towel", I notice your gear is always top of the line (why even your measuring tape was Swiss, for Pete sake!), and as an added bonus you are extremely well manicured for a Dutchman Hunter.
[I going to go clean and trim my nasty nails now before someone decides to take a picture of those ragged guys.]

Thanks again, nicely done.

Last edited:
Thanks Hal for taking the time to track down the artifact, take the great pictures, and then taking the extra time to post them for all to see.
I don't know about any "Ipad and Victoria Secret Towel", I notice your gear is always top of the line (why even your measuring tape was Swiss, for Pete sake!), and as an added bonus you are extremely well manicured for a Dutchman Hunter.
[I going to go clean and trim my nasty nails now before someone decides to take a picture of those ragged guys.]

Thanks again, nicely done.

Earnie, You can always tell a tenderfoot by looking at their clothes. They go and buy a thousand dollars worth of top of the line clothing to go stomping around in the desert. After a few trips their high dollar clothes are shredded by cholla, cat claw and numerous other botanical enemies . Live and learn

I wonder. The Church of Rome has always downgraded the Indio Lady of Guadalupe's status to the relative level of a saint, even though it's clear where the Mexicans' hearts are as far as Christianity is concerned. Her shrine in Mexico City is the most visited religious site in the world - outranking St Peter's Basilica three to one. In artworks, you seldom see her image together with that of Jesus.

Our_Lady_of_Guadalupe.JPG
free use photo

Earnie, You can always tell a tenderfoot by looking at their clothes. They go and buy a thousand dollars worth of top of the line clothing to go stomping around in the desert. After a few trips their high dollar clothes are shredded by cholla, cat claw and numerous other botanical enemies . Live and learn

No, those are the smart guys who buy the good stuff once, because it lasts.
I'm the guy who buys the Walmart sales bin stuff over and over, because it falls apart before I can get out of my truck.

I wonder. The Church of Rome has always downgraded the Indio Lady of Guadalupe's status to the relative level of a saint, even though it's clear where the Mexicans' hearts are as far as Christianity is concerned. Her shrine in Mexico City is the most visited religious site in the world - outranking St Peter's Basilica three to one. In artworks, you seldom see her image together with that of Jesus.

View attachment 1276756
free use photo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aureola#Mandorla

Seems to me a while ago, you were bemoaning that "RG" was driven off by people insulting him.

And here you are, hurling insults every which way.

What gives?

Whatever it is, I think that it may be missing a third piece.

It also looks as though it never had an opening in the middle. Possibly broken out. What was the Patina? Did it look green? Has anyone ever done an assay on it?

If it's green it could be made of Dore Bars.

That's a sort of Pre-Columbian Hashish for those that don't know.

I'm just wondering why it hasn't been restored using the same methods they use for shipwreck treasure reverse electrolysis? You would have to identify the material first for the anode by assay.

Very Crude methods were employed to make it. It looks "layered" from the back side as if it was poured twice in the mold but it looks like clay was used for making the mold.

I think the center held a huge diamond and it was used for making fire water. I have found some Aztec and Mayan symbols that resemble the one eyed sun flower symbol above the Jesus. I dare say it is Jesus as you can clearly see the crown of thorns around its head. I also found symbols of Jesus that had crescent moons under them sort of like the flower or sun symbol above him. It kind of resembles a Holy Grail Cup with the all seeing eye of God. The all seeing eye has been found in Aztec and Mayan artifacts.

The piece sticking out of the front of the base looks as if it was once an old style square headed early large bolt. If that's the case it could date it to the early to mid part of the 1800's and may be the missing link for the stone maps. The symbol on the side on the base looks to be late Peg Leg early Travis style graffiti.:laughing7:

If you asked I'm sure that fun boy would agree with you. First he would say Travis made it than he would bring the family out to claim he could tell no lies as he was secretly a Jesuit Priest.:thumbsup:

It could be a swizzle stick for holy water?

Or it was used for knocking the Father, Son and Holy Ghost out of the Pagan Indian's heads when they didn't comply?

As big as it is the thing possibly was used for a pontoon boat anchor at Canyon Lake?

Who or what ever made it is certainly a mystery.

I think Aliens made it!!

Weaver you go right ahead and say what you want no one will be insulted RG was just too sensitive for normal banter.

We all thought it was something we said when he left. It was just his mood swings that made him go not anything we did.

We can dish it out and take it.

Last edited:
Seems to me a while ago, you were bemoaning that "RG" was driven off by people insulting him.

And here you are, hurling insults every which way.

What gives?

I'm not insulting anyone. I was just making a comment to earnie. Stop stirring up trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back