Taking Shovels into Parks

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many of you take shovels to public parks? I've been watching several Youtube videos recently and noticed that some guys take shovels into these public areas. Always thought this was considered a big No-No. The reason being is that it looks bad and is a good way to get kicked out of the park and does not present us metal detector users in a good light. I use a shovel only when detecting in the wilderness. It may be easier to dig and retrieving the target than with a trowel or a hand held digger but someone may get the wrong idea that you are digging up the park with a shovel. How do you feel about this? Is this a bad idea or are you ok with it?

Last edited:
Upvote 3

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

waterdog

Sep 30, 2013
Have any of you guys watched any of those murder investigation shows? You know. The shows where they find the body several years later buried in a nearby park? I mean, how did they get in there in the first place? And then later, the investigation team is allowed to come in there and dig it up. With what? A spoon? Sounds like shovels are allowed to me!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you guys watched any of those murder investigation shows? You know. The shows where they find the body several years later buried in a nearby park? I mean, how did they get in there in the first place? And then later, the investigation team is allowed to come in there and dig it up. With what? A spoon? Sounds like shovels are allowed to me!
That's always been my argument too....hypocrisy. The groundskeepers can use shovels, drive their vehicles on the grass, heck, even use backhoes, but our little trowel is vandalizing the park? What a bunch of BS.

Big Ken

Mar 13, 2008
I think it depends on the situation. I use one in certain parks, or certain areas of parks. Let's try to keep the blanket comments to a minimum, for the simple reason it makes you look like a "moron".

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it depends on the situation. I use one in certain parks, or certain areas of parks. Let's try to keep the blanket comments to a minimum, for the simple reason it makes you look like a "moron".

I'll take my chances Ken.

ANYBODY that uses a shovel in a public park is a moron. You are hurting ALL of us and our hobby. Using a shovel in a public park simply shows you don't know what you're doing (99.9-percent of the time a newbie), or simply don't care about the hobby or its future.

Big Ken

Mar 13, 2008
Number one, I use a mini shovel, I should have made that more clear. Number two, you don't know me, you doubt know where I hunt, and to make comments like you're making takes a huge lack of civility and decency, not to mention your supposed to be a charter member. I guess that title really means nothing considering anyone can comment a few thousand times and have your title. I just hope that you don't represent the majority of hobbyist here. Without knowing anything about anything considering me and my area. The bottom line is that you don't know as much as you think you know. If I were you I'd be ashamed, but I don't think your smart enough to realize your comments are foolish. Why on earth would I jeopardize my favorite hobby at a park I frequent.

waterdog

Sep 30, 2013
What's the difference between blanket comments and pillow talk? Anyways, I demand to be able to take a shovel into the park! Besides, whenever I'm dragging a tarp, and a shovel into the woods.....I don't want my shovel to bring any unwanted attention.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bunch of you are going to look funny carrying a shovel around in the park that has a no detecting sign put up , because it will happen!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bunch of you are going to look funny carrying a shovel around in the park that has a no detecting sign put up , because it will happen!
That's where we're headed!!

Big Ken

Mar 13, 2008
As of right now, the only folks looking funny are the ones who seem to know everything about the parks others hunt. As I stated before, I sometimes carry a mini-shovel, it's a whole 18". I of course would frown upon anyone doing anything that would make the hobby look bad. That being said, I will not pretend to know what all the parks across the country allow. I've always thought this forum reeked of elitism, I hope that I am wrong because I enjoy talking and meeting up with others here. It's funny though, many members that supposedly live in my area have never contacted me. Oh well, I guess it's their loss.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RotZorn, the "shovel" on the bottom left is an "assault shovel". I have one and love it. I NEVER hunt parks. I would not feel comfortable taking a shovel into a park. I hunt beaches with the biggest sand scoop on a 4' handle you've ever seen. I do use a BIG shovel on a friend's farm field. But since there are no crops in when I dig and the holes are ALWAYS filled, it's just entertainment for the earthworms.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Big Ken

Mar 13, 2008
Hey Waterdog, Im in the SE Louisiana area, send me a pm for more info. As for you Terry Soloman, you are supposed to be a "GROWN A@# MAN", but here you are on a Metal Detecting Forum acting like a damn child. Why couldn't this have just been a civil discussion about our preferences / park rules? Why couldn't we just agree to disagree without the name calling? What makes you so entitled to think that your opinion means or matters more than anyone else. I make it a point to not go around passing judgement on people I don't personally know, but I'm willing to make an exception for you. I think your a pompous ass, I think your juvenile, I think you had something happen to you that stunted your mental development. GROW THE F*&^ UP MAN. To everyone else on this forum, it's been a pleasure talking to you, and if you want a forum that doesn't judge or persecute you for doing things a different way then please go to Friendly forum. I have never had this kind of problem there. In fact I have never had this problem here till tonight. I apologize if I have offended any of you, my comments only reflect my feelings towards Mr. Soloman, who can proudly wear the badge of honor that reads "on-line tough guy", but I also think "mental midget" would do the trick.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that was poetic Ken. "On-Line Tough Guy," is certainly better than most of the things I've been called by ex-wives and newbies. :laughing7: When you get that chip off your shoulder and put your shovel down get back in touch - I'll buy you a beer. :thumbsup:

Any of you other shovel users want to get anything off your chests? :hello:

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally work for a very large park system. Currently they have granted metal detecting permits for the year, but metal detecting rules will "be under review" for next year. I would agree morons with shovels are ruining it for our park system. The rules in our parks allow for "surface mining" but no one complains about a Lesche. I have seen yokels with no headphones, and full sized shovels heading out to "Dig For Buried Treasure!" These guys are the ones ruining it for the rules followers. Save the shovels for your own property.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions