Taking Shovels into Parks

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many of you take shovels to public parks? I've been watching several Youtube videos recently and noticed that some guys take shovels into these public areas. Always thought this was considered a big No-No. The reason being is that it looks bad and is a good way to get kicked out of the park and does not present us metal detector users in a good light. I use a shovel only when detecting in the wilderness. It may be easier to dig and retrieving the target than with a trowel or a hand held digger but someone may get the wrong idea that you are digging up the park with a shovel. How do you feel about this? Is this a bad idea or are you ok with it?

Last edited:
Upvote 3

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of right now, the only folks looking funny are the ones who seem to know everything about the parks others hunt. As I stated before, I sometimes carry a mini-shovel, it's a whole 18". I of course would frown upon anyone doing anything that would make the hobby look bad. That being said, I will not pretend to know what all the parks across the country allow. I've always thought this forum reeked of elitism, I hope that I am wrong because I enjoy talking and meeting up with others here. It's funny though, many members that supposedly live in my area have never contacted me. Oh well, I guess it's their loss.
Maybe that's because you hunt with a shovel. :laughing7: I think the careful use of a shovel is fine.....for private land with permission from the owner. The problem using one in the park is not that you'll leave a mess, it's that other people will THINK you'll leave a mess or do damage. They're the busy bodies that complain and get action from the powers that be. If the right person complains that has some clout, they'll get the rules changed to where you can't even probe for a coin, let alone dig for one. Better to be unobtrusive and detect than not detect at all. Use the smaller, less threatening tools for the park and leave the heavier equipment for other venues.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark is correct as some folks just dont like seeing someone get something for free. Shovels used correctly would make hunting easier say you had a bad back. But just is bad form. I would hope folks would use the probe method but the new detectors do reach down deep on targets. I would like to see a 3" rule on hole depth myself, it would stop a lot of new folks from making craters like you see on the videos. Too many folks in the hobby doesnt have respect for others, I know I fill your holes and cart out your trash. While I can dig 10" inch targets all day, most of my good finds have been 3 inches or less. I vote no shovels should not be used in parks. Now if you dont mind dinging up your find, a shovel is a good way to do it.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are some of us that take a shovels into parks and do a great job digging and filling , those are not the ones that are creating the problem , it's the newbies that see them and all they see is a full size shovel being used so when they get their new detector they grab the shovel out of the garage and head to the nearest park! I have seen the damage that can be done with a shovel in the hands of some one that didn't know what they were doing or to lazy to take the time to do it right ! Sure they can do damage with a trowel but they will have to work a lot harder at it , so times we have to work harder to keep are sport to keep it on the good side of people that don't understand why we like to play in the dirt !

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem with that is the people running the park aren't voted into office.....they're appointed or civil service. Good luck trying to blast them out of a job!

ALL of these appointed and civil service fall under an ELECTED government entity somewhere. Do the research, talk to them, and target their removal if you disagree with their policies. Educated voting not just pulling a lever.

Rick James

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know you get evil looks? Granted I have not been out in nice weather with lots of people around, but I am looking at the ground and the MD screen, with ear phones in.. Unless they walk up to me I don't even look at them, they could be flippin me of for all I know. Maybe things will be different in the spring and I will understand what you all are talking about. Plan is to be a MORON and use my 25" custom shaped True Temper plug cutting shovel in the public parks I pay for every year with the $5600 tax bill.. Maybe it has to do with the quality of park and the type of neighborhood..

I'm all for not caring what other people think, but when I'm in a public place, I pay close attention to anyone in my vicinity. I don't want to give the impression that I'm completely in my own world, giving someone an opportunity to jump me from behind. Of course that would end with them taking a Lesche to the throat. No matter how nice the neighborhood or park, there are baddies all over the world, so I will be ready.

I wouldn't use a shovel in a public area, because in MY personal opinion, it could alarm other people or get the authorities involved. I pay taxes to maintain the parks, but that doesn't give me the right to take a backhoe there and search for relics.

Last edited:

Rick James

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, maybe we are talking about two different things here....

But I think some of you were offend about "shovel" and "moron" being in the same sentence, when you probably use something waaaaay more specialized like this-

Big diff- I'm just saying.

Do you use the ground shark? The way that foot plate is positioned it seems like it would easily bend, compared to the PT Raven. I called WW MFG and apparently their 5 year warranty is very limited, and bends/breaks from use are not covered.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seriously though waterdog, If you spend any time reading all the post, both past and present, you will be hard pressed to find someone come on here swear like you did. That might be acceptable on other forums but you just don't see it here. Whether we agree on not, please clean up the language.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a 31" Sampson made by W. W. Mfg. It makes a cleaner cut than my Lesche tool and now that I'm in my 70's it assists me walking,getting up off the ground, and makes a handy detector rest. It's official title is "landscaping tool" and that's what I call it, not a shovel. I also find that carrying it with handle pointing down and the business end tucked against my arm eliminates much consternation.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
This reply has no relevence to the topic but...I never, and I mean NEVER read any posts anywhere done in caps lock mode.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Waterdog.Please watch the language if you wish to continue posting. Using substitute letters for bad language is not a free pass. Read the rules.

Also do not quote this type of language in your reply or your post will be deleted as well.
Thanks.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
twdd.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reply has no relevence to the topic but...I never, and I mean NEVER read any posts anywhere done in caps lock mode.
It's hard to read one where they're yelling the WHOLE time!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow old thread but I am new to the hobby. I am very critical of what I do in a park. My goal is to leave the ground better than before without being able to see where I dig. Using a raptor shovel gives me the cleanest plugs.
You know that, and I know that, but, the busybody walking by and seeing you with a shovel doesn't. They're the one who's going to complain to someone in charge about what you're doing regardless of how careful you are. Carrying a shovel into a park is just bad optics, and is more likely to draw attention to you than if you just use a Lesche hand digger.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
You know that, and I know that, but, the busybody walking by and seeing you with a shovel doesn't. They're the one who's going to complain to someone in charge about what you're doing regardless of how careful you are. Carrying a shovel into a park is just bad optics, and is more likely to draw attention to you than if you just use a Lesche hand digger.
A shovel? My specially designed "shovels" are tiny, when it comes to actual shovels, and to me, it is the Karens just looking to b!tch at something during their lousy day. I will keep carrying a shovel, because I physically require it, and it makes neater plugs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread