Taking Shovels into Parks

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many of you take shovels to public parks? I've been watching several Youtube videos recently and noticed that some guys take shovels into these public areas. Always thought this was considered a big No-No. The reason being is that it looks bad and is a good way to get kicked out of the park and does not present us metal detector users in a good light. I use a shovel only when detecting in the wilderness. It may be easier to dig and retrieving the target than with a trowel or a hand held digger but someone may get the wrong idea that you are digging up the park with a shovel. How do you feel about this? Is this a bad idea or are you ok with it?

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shovels in parks has bothered me every time I’ve seen it go on.

Going a little off topic for a second, what’s with all the camouflage? This isn’t a combat situation, nor are we ever going to be looked at as tough guys.

We are looters, like it or not. And as any successful looter knows, you have to be discrete.

So next time you go into the parks carrying your Rambo knives and wearing your camo and your Batman utility belt with all your implements of destruction, just ask yourself how much do you really like this hobby because you’re slowly making it go extinct.

I know all about parks being closed. I’ve watched this happen since the 80’s when I started detecting, and as Watercolor stated, Cook county forest preserves are now off limits and so are Lake county forest preserves in Illinois and many other collar counties are too not to mention city parks. So please grow up and use some common sense or find something else to do with your free time. I hear Frisbee golf is a fun game, give that a try.

HH
John

I don't see what a persons choice of clothing has to do with anything. I personally don't wear camouflage but many people who metal detect are also hunters and its part of there everyday wardrobe whether there medal detecting or not. :dontknow:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it helps to keep them from sticking out like a sore thumb, I'm all for it.

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the midwest, you will stand out if you don't wear camo. Lol

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m know camo is a common form of dress in a lot of parts of the country and wouldn’t garner a second look and I don’t have a problem with people wearing camo, especially when it’s situationally appropriate ie: hunting.

Remember, we are talking about park hunting not woods. Everybody sees you, camo or not and when added to the rest of the ensemble (Rambo knife, batman utility belt, shovel, etc.) that I talked about before, you end up looking more conspicuous not less.

Why draw attention to an already frowned upon hobby. Doesn’t make sense to me. Especially a hobby we all enjoy so much and want to continue doing.

When I detect at the park, I try to be just another person at the park. not a metal detecting commando. Just my opinion,

HH
John

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me they are both shovels if i went to a park i would never take either one of the ones you show in a park..

Yeah I already said that- I agree. I was just trying to to be on the reasonable side of things for those who may not be as able bodied as they used to be.

If they look funny to people who observe them (as is my opinion) but leave the ground as they found it by cutting nice neat plugs, it wouldn't pearsonally bother me- but I can't speak for other detectorist- let alone park officials, patrons, etc.

Again, for me personally I'll stick to a sod cutter/ trowel- my knees and back work just fine.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it helps to keep them from sticking out like a sore thumb, I'm all for it.
Second that one! I wear a neutral color in daytime or black at night.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! Who knew we had a professional frolfer on the forum. I am humbled. HH John
I've always wanted to try that. Looks like great fun but nowhere to try it here

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shovels in parks has bothered me every time I’ve seen it go on.

Going a little off topic for a second, what’s with all the camouflage? This isn’t a combat situation, nor are we ever going to be looked at as tough guys.

We are looters, like it or not. And as any successful looter knows, you have to be discrete.

So next time you go into the parks carrying your Rambo knives and wearing your camo and your Batman utility belt with all your implements of destruction, just ask yourself how much do you really like this hobby because you’re slowly making it go extinct.

I know all about parks being closed. I’ve watched this happen since the 80’s when I started detecting, and as Watercolor stated, Cook county forest preserves are now off limits and so are Lake county forest preserves in Illinois and many other collar counties are too not to mention city parks. So please grow up and use some common sense or find something else to do with your free time. I hear Frisbee golf is a fun game, give that a try.

HH
John

Hey I thought the topic was about shovels in parks, not clothing, knives or anything else. So lets stick with the topic otherwise we will be discussing everything other than what the topic is. Whats it going to be next what vehicle we drive or what ?

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
You think they a notice my shovel

images.jpeg

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I have been detecting since 1970 and I agree that shovels should not be used in public places like parks or school grounds. The object of hunting these places is after all, to find small items like coins and jewelry. Anybody who needs a shovel to find such small items must be lazy or inefficient at pinpointing. No need to make a hole very large in diameter if you have your pinpointing skills properly honed for hunting public grounds. No disrespect meant here, it is my opinion though, and I have seen areas closed after people with shovels worked them whereas they were open to hunters with small trowel, knife, or screwdriver style diggers before such incidents. We are losing areas to hunt on a daily basis, and the less we do to cause this to happen the better. I see a lot of folks newer to hunting who seem to resort to shovels when they have a hard time pinpointing, and have one friend who definitely does it out of laziness. I doubt that this thread will change some of those who use shovels in parks, but if it even gets one person to change it is worth it, and I hope that the newer hunters listen up and stay away from this practice.
^^^^^ This.. My apologies, but if you're too old & broken (I'm getting there myself sooner than I'd like) to get down and use small tools to remove your target then how are you going to properly fill and repair your hole ? If that's the point you're at in your life you might want to consider beach hunting with a long handled scoop. Don't spoil it for everyone else by leaving tracks where you've been in the park.

Last edited:

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TN is My home state as well! I like disc golf too, and we have a nice course at the same park I detect at actually. I feel lucky to have access to Valentine Park here in Munford.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wanted to try that. Looks like great fun but nowhere to try it here
A park with a series of trash cans will work in a pinch! :laughing7:

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I was a park Ranger , we had 17 parks and noticed that they were getting dug up pretty bad , at one of are monthly meeting they brought it up and was talking about banning it all together, and asked me what I thought. I told them that there was a lot of people that detect the parks and I know a lot of them and that they take bride in what they do and how they do it and would never leave a hole un filled or junk laying on top of the ground . I explained that there were a lot of new comers to the sport and most of the damage was from them . They asked me what would be a good way to go about fixing the problem , I told them if we see any body walking around with a full size shovel we would explain why they weren't a loud in the parks and what was the best tools to use and how to dig a plug the right way. Last I knew that was the rule and it was working but I lost my job because of Obama care is haven't been to the parks lately! Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who makes the parks off limits to metal detecting? Remember these people when it's time to vote. Public parks are for all the public. Use your vote to see that they remain so. That said, discretion is necessary to keep from losing access in the first place.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread