THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's some garden hacks to reuse those plastic bottles.

The first photo on the left-not going there. I use plastic bottles/containers for applicators for DE (diatomaceous earth) but that's about all in respect to the gardening.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a young fellow in TN trying to set up a community group out in the country.

I've been watching some of his videos to see how things are progressing.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a friend who built businesses by his own effort and is up at four each morning , till late each working day , but never really not working (the phone is a chain tugging on him pretty steady, plus offshift issues to deal with but still needing being in in the early morning after) put it , "I pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to get the same things everyone else paying less gets. Why should I pay more?"

When your money and well being are at risk , (and there certainly is risk) , should you not be rewarded more than someone taking no risk , or more , not striving to suceed through effort of your labor and investment in risk?

How much of your net worth should be assigned to someone with a lower net worth? Based on what?

^double like!

"you don't work, you don't eat!"

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very good advice bill. I use to walk a lot at my old football field. I lost around 25 lbs. just got out of the habit. Getting started again is in my plan. It’s also good for clearing brain clutter.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rook,

Yep especially during this crazy covid period I'd be going crazier than I already am I wasn't doing my morning walks....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter what's in the bank account-Larry King est. net worth $144 Million and he couldn't escape it.

As far as getting the needle in the arm.......

About net worth? How many people die because they couldn't "afford" all the procedures he had in order to get as far as he did?

The needle? Heaven forbid....but what will you say when you're staring down that barrel knowing you might have avoided?

I have been extremely blessed as far as health goes. But there's one thought that gets me to finally go to a doctor.

After the exam...the doctor said to me, " This can easily be fixed/cured but....if you had *ONLY* come in yesterday! Now, its too late!"

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RC/Duckshot,

The whole doughnut economics thing is not about giving people a free ride.

It's about trying to figure out a way we can jiggle things that people who are busting their butt can make a livable lifestyle and still keep from destroying the planet in the process by overproduction and over consumption.

Drive around your neighborhoods and look at all the stuff people toss out in the trash, furniture, etc....that's still usable just because it's out of style or not the latest model. That's the whole point of the approach not to pay people to set on the butts and do nothing.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, I don't know Bill from Lachine...

Take our captain AARC for an example- his body probably has in the neighborhood of one and half gallons of blood flowing though it. What the theory of doughnut economics seems to suggest is that you can drain a half gallon of blood from him and add two gallons of rum without killing the Captain so long as you "jiggle him around" a bit. As much as the Captain might like the idea of trying it out, it'll never work. You can't put three gallons into a 1-1/2 gallon jug.

Besides, we all know the Captain pees rum out as fast as he can drink it anyways and that is okay- but not if you plunder his blood first.

ETA- from Wikipedia-
The book "Doughnut Economics" consists of critiques and perspectives of what should be sought after by society as a whole.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut_(economic_model)

"What should be sought after by society as a whole"

As determined by whom? This how come we don't let the Captain hold the keys to the rum room.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
RC/Duckshot,

The whole doughnut economics thing is not about giving people a free ride.

It's about trying to figure out a way we can jiggle things that people who are busting their butt can make a livable lifestyle and still keep from destroying the planet in the process by overproduction and over consumption.

Drive around your neighborhoods and look at all the stuff people toss out in the trash, furniture, etc....that's still usable just because it's out of style or not the latest model. That's the whole point of the approach not to pay people to set on the butts and do nothing.

Oh , back to the doughnut... We can get weeks or more on it. Good topic too...

Need vs want.
Obsolescence of a manufactured good directly affects demand for a replacement. Often as the original goes into the waste stream.
Recycling has been in my opinion a failed concept.
As a friend who worked at a place that recycled plastic noted , so much was out of line with efficiency as to render it more of a make work program than a value result.
When I lived in a city a year (approx.) recycling was offered. At a higher cost. We sorted and paid more for it to get hauled a different direction anyways.

I live by a landfill. Talk about a waste stream....
But stuff I set out by the road disappears. Folks scrounge and that is good.
Not as well or as much as other cultures with families specializing in what is scrounged , but anything kept out of the waste stream is generally a good thing.
Around here , you need good tennis or track shoes to get ahold of anything of value from near a trash receptacle.
I have recovered some things out of a private dumpster before.
A saxophone. New golf bag. (I don't care for golf , but it went to a good home) a lawnmower. A good low hour mower at that..
No good reason in my opinion for such waste.

Compost! The stuff we /"we" put in landfills is crazy.
Good soil areas are recognized and priced accordingly. The soil we could be building up in marginal to poor regions is our folly for not composting much of what we discard.
(There's the longstanding joke of imported Canadian waste around here going to landfills. As Canada is smarter than us for doing so..)

Not sure your figures , but we are often claimed as a great wasteful nation when it comes to food.
Having bussed and dished before becoming a cook , I believe it.
When I raised hogs competition existed for edible scrap. But where I'd worked earlier , boy did a lot of food get wasted.
We're not much better with municipal sewage and water either... A grave contrast here in the great lakes where sewage spills are tolerated , but heaven forbid a boater dump a toilet..

We don't get repair options on many new goods. We recall fix it shops for the mundane. But they faded with our evolving into a disposable society.
A lifespan can be generalized by a manufacturer , but in many cases it's not only limited , but a case of repeated consumption within a generation.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Have I mentioned the methane riding my way with a S-S.W. wind? Wasted resources causing it. Wasted methane in its ghosting around recalling the past now decomposed unused .
I likely mentioned the friend sent to look over a cattle feed lot manure digester used to feed generators? That's methane. We can make/do it at home.
But we lack the critical "scrubber" to reduce corrosion.

Waste. Debris. Discard.

As a youth plastic meant and was called by most those I knew as junk.
"Stuff from the forties and fifties was still in service , with exceptions of course.
Milk in bottles that were reused. Quite the concept...

Folks that knew the pinch of wars and recession and depression were not looking to poor money into rapid waste streams of domestic consumption.
"Grandma" was interviewed by my daughter when Grandma was still around.
She was surprised to hear that Grams Dad bought flour ,sugar, salt and little else.
When I met him they were out of that old farmhouse (I don't know why) and he was near it in a low tiny house built from who knows what. But it was crude. Yet effective.

Gotta run....
Edit: Back briefly.

We're not saving the planet. Or repairing it. Not going to happen. Best we can do is prolong it's suffering our constant influence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Take our captain AARC for an example- his body probably has in the neighborhood of one and half gallons of blood flowing though it. What the theory of doughnut economics seems to suggest is that you can drain a half gallon of blood from him and add two gallons of rum without killing the Captain so long as you "jiggle him around" a bit. As much as the Captain might like the idea of trying it out, it'll never work. You can't put three gallons into a 1-1/2 gallon jug.

Besides, we all know the Captain pees rum out as fast as he can drink it anyways and that is okay- but not if you plunder his blood first.

ETA- from Wikipedia- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut_(economic_model)

As determined by whom? This how come we don't let the Captain hold the keys to the rum room.

***ARC thinks to himself that he is not sure if he should abandon ship because crew is talking about blood...

or volunteer because they mentioned replacing said blood with Rum***

Last edited:
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
***ARC pretends to be asleep still***

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ETA- from Wikipedia- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut_(economic_model)

:icon_scratch: What the? :icon_scratch: I'm STILL drinking rum.. Sailor Jerry.. yeh that guy...Ohhh.. Captain! Morgan... no Archies started somthin'? Did he finish it? HEH!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread