THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"No good deed goes unpunished"

Turned the 5000lum yard light on to see my way to fill up the bird feeders as I know it'll be a busy one in the morning after todays snow.
So going down slope along the side of the house I was thinking I'll be glad when I build the set of stone stairs this year. I hate slipping and sliding, now I'll just duck under the deck and it'll be good walking.
I looked over at the fir tree all covered in white-the light illuminating so pretty-OUCH!!
I walked right into the frigging picnic table-shin bone crash-sprained my ring finger middle joint - F I'm stupid sometimes. :laughing7:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Carbon farming.

Well. There's an unrelated old tractor shown at the end , so it's good! L.o.l..

The skeptic in me asked as soon as stored carbon (based on soil test amounts vs prior) volume went up , how much of that was applied with the compost or manure?
If it was discussed I missed it.

Pulling weeds exposed the seedbank in the soil to more sunlight. To not need to spray weed killer , (I don't where I put plots in , or on my property, but it's a lot easier to just spray...) don't encourage the seedbank to sprout. Some seeds can lay dormant a long time.
Adding compost snuffed some of that sunlight , and quality compost is a medium not carrying viable seed.

Must have been roots still from prior cover crop/or native grasses. No mention of any seeding. I'd expect any deep layer of compost to smother roots though. (?)
I have an area where about four inches of earth covered fallow field. Months later stuff was still trying to grow below. But was losing the struggle. But that was not compost. Or a two inch layer either.

The top four inches are a lot of a soils life. Seems a stretch when some plant roots are measured in feet. But those plants affect the soil too.
Not only with what they draw upwards. But also where they lift soil at the ground surface.
Any decomposing roots affect soil. But then, most things do!
Certain deep growing tubers (and by deep , that's not breaking beyond that four inch level very far at times) affects soil.

Friability. Amount of microbes and minerals and the three building blocks of Nitrogen , phosphorous, Potassium. A bump of Urea maybe now and then...
But organic material goes far in make up of better soils. Material does not mean improvement guaranteed , but it sure can help.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Turned the 5000lum yard light on to see my way to fill up the bird feeders as I know it'll be a busy one in the morning after todays snow.
So going down slope along the side of the house I was thinking I'll be glad when I build the set of stone stairs this year. I hate slipping and sliding, now I'll just duck under the deck and it'll be good walking.
I looked over at the fir tree all covered in white-the light illuminating so pretty-OUCH!!
I walked right into the frigging picnic table-shin bone crash-sprained my ring finger middle joint - F I'm stupid sometimes. :laughing7:

Kinda serves you right. Shouldn't have been flipping the bird at that picnic table! :angel12:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning everyone :coffee2:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning. :wave:

I walked right into the frigging picnic table-shin bone crash-sprained my ring finger middle joint - F I'm stupid sometimes.
Hope your finger and shin bone are feeling better today Jim. :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning. :wave:

Hope your finger and shin bone are feeling better today Jim. :thumbsup:

Good Morning Dave and thanks for asking.

If I don't touch the shinbone it doesn't complain, now the finger joint is letting me know its there.

Did you get any of the white stuff yesterday?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goin for swords....hope to catch a monster today....this is my first time swordfishing in over 10 years. Perfect moon phase and tide set. Gonna try and perfect our techniques by doing this at least twice a month !! An effort by me to change our fishing patterns and go after some trophy size fish. Got the big tackle out and even the harpoon and flying gaff !! Big boy fishing !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This will give you an idea of the adventure thats involved !! Its great fishing and I'm ready to be involved and reclaim my spot as an upper level sword fisherman.....we used to be considered the best in the business at this type of fishing !! This is my friend nick....he's the king of swordfishing !!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good luck with the fishing bart

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread