THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Morning all from South Dakota 24 inches of snow on the ground

Attachments

• IMG_7895.JPG
    IMG_7895.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
Releventchair, how would you like to have these in your front yard?

View attachment 2065990

I'd like them a lot more than my landscaping planting of hundreds of plants, trees , shrubs neighbor would!

Once in a while some sneak in at night. More rarely during the day.
Had one about three yards from me one where I sat on the driveway in my chair one morning. During a hunting season , and standing (browsing along) right under the tree I hang deer in...

I always enjoy watching them.
The dogs act like they're big trespassing other dogs or something.
Sometimes out back a deer gets away with not getting barked at. Most get busted though.

What a trying day today has been 😔 the frost beat us, got a couple of bits, but after himself bent his spade we called it quits and returned home 😔 still yesterday was a good day so not complaining….. now to defrost and search the net for ice picks 😂 xx

What a trying day today has been 😔 the frost beat us, got a couple of bits, but after himself bent his spade we called it quits and returned home 😔 still yesterday was a good day so not complaining….. now to defrost and search the net for ice picks 😂 xx
Ice fishing sees augers used a lot today.
Prior it was "spuds'.
Dangerous to relics , a spud can punch through shallow depth freeze areas before the ground is frozen deeper.
Given a site damage is allowed to be seen after a plug/holes are filled and tamped ; a spud might get your season extended a little.

I've used a spud to get through up to several inches of frozen ground for other purposes. But don't like the harm to the sharp edge. And worse the risk of hitting a stone.
A cheap one with hardened edge can be made up easy enough by a welder.
A sharpened steel rod of sufficient diameter might work too. With greater risk of harming a relic by using it to pry with instead of cut.

You get around farms or farm supply stores there's spuds for earth work.
Would suit your sites , but are heavy compared to ice spuds.

40268793.jpg

Ice fishing sees augers used a lot today.
Prior it was "spuds'.
Dangerous to relics , a spud can punch through shallow depth freeze areas before the ground is frozen deeper.
Given a site damage is allowed to be seen after a plug/holes are filled and tamped ; a spud might get your season extended a little.

I've used a spud to get through up to several inches of frozen ground for other purposes. But don't like the harm to the sharp edge. And worse the risk of hitting a stone.
A cheap one with hardened edge can be made up easy enough by a welder.
A sharpened steel rod of sufficient diameter might work too. With greater risk of harming a relic by using it to pry with instead of cut.

You get around farms or farm supply stores there's spuds for earth work.
Would suit your sites , but are heavy compared to ice spuds.

40268793.jpg
That’s our additional problem, the fields we are in currently are very stoney, so they freeze into the soil … I dug several targets and put the whole clump in my bag to defrost …! these fields, they are still stubble, waiting to be ploughed and planted with sugar beet, so we dont have to make our holes super neat when we fill them in 😅 xx

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back