You must be my mother's sister, she was famous for the Achilles heel bumps.
True story..
Christmas last minute near type shopping years ago ; an old gal was giving the glare of death wishes to everyone!
She was saying loudly , "IF ONE MORE PERSON HITS ME WITH THIER CART!"
Unfortunately I was looking at the glowing embers in her eye sockets where her eyes should be more than I was listening to her (I've been preconditioned to females stating opinions loudly and vigorously and warningly and threateningly since an early age; no offence ladies) and accidently bumped ever so slightly her grossly oversized size 14ish flippers or ankles with ...my cart. I didn't look to survey the exact position or extent of the damage to her baggy stockings because my prior inability to moonwalk had become quite suddenly and effectively cured!
I don't recall if I brought that cart with me ; or just levitated all by myself while distancing myself farther and farther away from her and the rapidly expanding cracking and groaning fissure of molten lava and burning sulphur sloping towards the now evolving voracious crater forming where she had been standing just seconds earlier.
Suffice it to say her bad vibe I had kind of picked up on earlier was , (and I could sense this ,) beginning to intensify!
I was thinking she probably shouldn't have been shopping last minute in a crowd.
But knew that after her announcing her displeasure with getting bonked by shopping carts that I shouldn't have bonked her with a cart.
A question could have been raised too as to why I was even wielding ;I mean using , a cart.
It turns out though that the average elderly lady's reach (translated swing) is shorter that the length of a cart held vigorously at arms length towards the elderly lady at a right angle.
May I suggest pinning her against a firm object or shelf or hapless toddler ect. if possible once your have bumped her fire and brimstone curse infliction trigger ; long enough to launch yourself the direction of your retreat path.
And that a cart may be better than a shopping basket which is certainly better than being Unarmed.
Be cautious around scarves for sale. Or socks. Or anything with another end other than the end you are holding!
It may be being held by (and worse being claimed the possession of by) an ol gal.
In which case you will lose the ensuing tug of war if you are not properly prepared and careful. Because if you do succeed in wresting it from her after she goes gravity drop trick fetal on the floor with it after biting you...Public support after she starts to wail will usually insist you surrender your honest won prize.
The trick then is to either bonk her in the ankles or over a foot with a cart . (Carts are often conveniently located at store entrances. But if you don't have one when needed don't despair, Just grab one from any nearby distracted shopper. You won't need it long and if they squawk , just point at your opponent. They'll understand. Same rule applies to shopping baskets ; but be ready to dodge and be nimble when the haymaker swing arrives, it will)
watch now for "the tell" when you make cart/basket to ankle/foot contact. The eyes will flare in unmistakable anger even before the pain signal reaches her brain. But you must act instantly upon contact because of the micro delay in your reflexes; and snap or viciously tug on your end of the scarf , sock , or loaf of bread so quickly and powerfully efficient while she is absorbing the cart sensation that you win.
Your success is only a hope still at this point because you now have to duck or dodge the first swing of hers while you present the cart or basket against her ,break away running and beat her through a cash register or self checkout.. And she knows where they are!
IF you hear a sliding sound approaching your direction from the direction of your recent triumph when you pause for payment delay; simply place the object anywhere convenient quickly but out of your hands and again take flight.
Don't look back or ask why. You encountered a force beyond your ability to shop without it's/her consent.
Odds are slim you'll ever encounter an ankle bonked senior catching up with you if you do it right (yes I know we're not all that young either) but once in a while strange things can happen while last minute shopping. Like how didn't I notice the penguin.
( Disclaimer.No offence to penguins. Or Nuns. Or Ol Gals. Carts. Ankles. Feet. Shopping baskets . Self check outs. Innocent fellow last minute shoppers. Stores. rum . Egg nog.
Christmas sides. Whatever the heck they are.
No salt beans . Ect. )