THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Still fishing?
20240222_163043.jpg

Yes...the weather backed off, and we went from 100mph to zero in 24 hours. The whole fleet struggled yesterday, and the greatest sailfish bite in south Florida history ended !! Captain tucker(the fish whisperer) caught 65 on the good day, and broke the daily record. Yesterday we missed 4 and caught 1. Our captains son came out with us and I was able to get him his first sailfish after 20 years of trying !! We caught a mahi, a kingfish, a Bonita, and one sailfish......we had another sailfish close.....maybe 2 feet from the leader, but he outplayed us after 20 minutes, and got off !! Off I go again !! Sore but slightly refreshed from a slower paced day !!

View attachment 2133043
Yes...the weather backed off, and we went from 100mph to zero in 24 hours. The whole fleet struggled yesterday, and the greatest sailfish bite in south Florida history ended !! Captain tucker(the fish whisperer) caught 65 on the good day, and broke the daily record. Yesterday we missed 4 and caught 1. Our captains son came out with us and I was able to get him his first sailfish after 20 years of trying !! We caught a mahi, a kingfish, a Bonita, and one sailfish......we had another sailfish close.....maybe 2 feet from the leader, but he outplayed us after 20 minutes, and got off !! Off I go again !! Sore but slightly refreshed from a slower paced day !!
That teak gunnel needs some super spar work !

That teak gunnel needs some super spar work !
I noticed that the other day, then thought maybe it's case of just letting it go sun bleached.
My other thought as it looks really beefy is it a solid or laminated where it's just a few inches thick.

I noticed that the other day, then thought maybe it's case of just letting it go sun bleached.
My other thought as it looks really beefy is it a solid or laminated where it's just a few inches thick.
Sun breaks everything down... the varnish or whatever sealant was used is gone.
Those are solid planks of Teak.
Hard to get that larger teak these days and is very expensive and often comes from old stuff that is redone.

PS... Teak is superior to other woods.
There are certain teaks that break down faster than other teaks it seems (oil content/density)

• Grade A – Grade A teak consists of the wood taken from the “heartwood” at the very center of the log. It is uniform in color, oily to the touch, and extremely durable and weather-resistant. As a rule, this is the only type of teak you should consider for teak decking on a boat.
  • Grade B – Grade B teak comes from the outer heartwood. It is lighter in color and usually more uneven in grain, and not as high in natural oils. When treated with oils and sealed, it can be used for some outdoor applications and indoor/outdoor areas, but it does not usually last as long as Grade A teak.
  • Grade C – Grade C teak is only appropriate for a few indoor applications, and is not recommended for marine use by most carpenters. It comes from the outer sections of the log (sapwood), and from immature teak trees. It is softer and less dense, has few protective oils, and can be easily damaged. Avoid Grade C teak, if at all possible.
When looking for the best teak decking for your boat, ask what grade the product is, and for a sample, if possible. Look for a dense, tough, oily wood with an even grain structure and a uniform color – these are all sure sign of Grade A teak.

Beware Of “False Teak”

Due to the popularity of teak, some companies market different woods as “Teak”. Names you might hear include “Brazilian Teak”, “Rhodesian Teak”, or “Amazonia Teak”. Most of these woods are similar to teak in appearance and function, but they are not true teak.

and maybe a bumper on it by the looks of that boys knees 😄..... Of course that's what'll make him a pirate like ole Bart there 🏴‍☠️
In my youth i worked at one of the local major marina's doing whatever paid or got me on the hottest / coolest yachts...
I was considered the best varnish worker around at that time... i was taught by one of my best friends dads... who taught me all the tricks ...
My work was preferred amongst the best boats in the marina.

I did anything and everything around yachts for years... from First mate fill in's to hull scrapings... waterlines... you name it.
i was in my teens.

PS... Teak is superior to other woods.
If a person is going to do the woodwork/refinishing it's a case of doing it right the first time as the labour and time doing it is a big factor.
Product is the most important thing when it comes to refinishing wood that exposed to the elements.
Teak is leave it as it will out last if it's a NO 1 quality because of the tight grain/high oil content.
Refinish it in a cheap varnish (lets do the 🤮) Lasts a few years then it starts to peel/check.
Here is one of the leading finishes that on can buy-cheap-nope-quality-yes.
Do it right the first time-or go cheaper and do it over& over again.

Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 8.39.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 8.40.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 8.41.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 8.50.41 AM.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back