THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Though are you going to fix it yourself, or get it towed to a garage?
40 yrs ago the timing chain cover could be seen on most motors.
Today :laughing7:
I'm at least contemplating tackling it myself. I've got the tools and it's not beyond my skill level. It's just a pain in the neck and takes a bunch of time I'd rather spend digging.

It's a 1997, so it's not as easy to work on as a 60's or 70's era truck, but at least I should be able to do it without hooking it up to a bunch of computers and monitors and whatever else.

Good morning! I found my first coin (a penny thats so old i have no idea....) and a button!

Attachments

• 430471097_378241195161095_1770474756376608741_n.jpg
    430471097_378241195161095_1770474756376608741_n.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 430119173_377865071707150_397879362546313151_n.jpg
    430119173_377865071707150_397879362546313151_n.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 16
I'm at least contemplating tackling it myself. I've got the tools and it's not beyond my skill level. It's just a pain in the neck and takes a bunch of time I'd rather spend digging.

It's a 1997, so it's not as easy to work on as a 60's or 70's era truck, but at least I should be able to do it without hooking it up to a bunch of computers and monitors and whatever else.
So its probably a timing belt and not a timing chain.
(Just another worthless bit of information from the 🌶 🤣)

So its probably a timing belt and not a timing chain.
That's what I would have thought, too, but the replacement parts kit has a chain. (Well, two of them, one for each head.) I haven't ordered the parts yet, still pondering it...

Just brush it with an old toothbrush, to retain the patina.
Some will use some a light oil (nose oil has been used to enhance the patina)
The brass gets attacked by the elements in the dirt.
(Burnt) is the term often used to describe the effects.
If you're digging old buttons the old coinage should be around also.

Actual chain is good, wonder why it jumped though.
Well it could be something else, but I'm betting that's what it is, since it happened quite suddenly, and when I switched from "coasting" down one hill to accelerating up the next. My guess is one of the tensioners has been slowly wearing out, causing enough slack to chew up the guide. Then it finally broke up or something, causing either a sudden large amount of slack in the chain, or possibly even a piece of debris getting thrown into/under the chain. I actually hope I'm wrong and it's something else, but all the symptoms fit. I have to move some stuff out of the shop so I can get it in there, then I can check some things before I start doing any major disassembly. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's just a rotated distributor or something dumb like that. If it is a chewed up guide, I'll have to pull the oil pan too, which is probably not much fun either, with all the stuff in the way down there.

Well it could be something else, but I'm betting that's what it is, since it happened quite suddenly, and when I switched from "coasting" down one hill to accelerating up the next. My guess is one of the tensioners has been slowly wearing out, causing enough slack to chew up the guide. Then it finally broke up or something, causing either a sudden large amount of slack in the chain, or possibly even a piece of debris getting thrown into/under the chain. I actually hope I'm wrong and it's something else, but all the symptoms fit. I have to move some stuff out of the shop so I can get it in there, then I can check some things before I start doing any major disassembly. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's just a rotated distributor or something dumb like that. If it is a chewed up guide, I'll have to pull the oil pan too, which is probably not much fun either, with all the stuff in the way down there.
Sounds like a job before the job starts. I have an exhaust leak (my tractor mechanic/small engine guy) Gee your truck is starting to sound like every other farm truck around here. :laughing7:
When the weather improves I think he can mig weld a repair patch where the problem is. ( I shutter at the thought of a garage-oh you need $$$ type of thing)

Hopefully not the transmission

Afternoon all xx hope ur Wednesday was good.. its all downhill from here 😆 xx 🤗

Having trodden on one to many peanuts ive finally found the solution for Mr Woo’s lack of etiquette…!! (It also doubles as his new swimming pool )
😆 xx
View attachment 2135703
I hope Mr Woo doesn't $*it where he eats.....
Does he like his food floated-as it does sink.
Chickens love their feed soaked-slightly fermented, blended into a slurry with added protein they love.

Sounds like a job before the job starts. I have an exhaust leak (my tractor mechanic/small engine guy) Gee your truck is starting to sound like every other farm truck around here. I:laughing7:
When the weather improves I think he can mig weld a repair patch where the problem is. ( I shutter at the thought of a garage-oh you need $$$ type of thing)
I want another truck but I keep reading the reviews on each one and I pass. What’s the sense of having a truck that won’t stay running

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest Discussions

Back