View attachment 2140333
These are rarer than gold rings, and represent a very bad day at the sand bar. These are anchor shackle pins, and if you lose it, you lose your boat, and it floats away !! I have been there when one let's go, and a boat starts drifting away, and banging against everyone else's boat. The lost anchors are found immediately by waders who trip and injure themselves on it !! The only evidence left of the incident is the little anchor clevis pin. Alot can be learned about the situation by observing the marks, or lack there of on the clevis pin itself. Some bear the marks of pliers or wrench used to tightin them.....others have no marks, and were obviously only finger tight. Some will have the tell tale mark of having a monel wire safety wrap to assure they won't back out under the relentless wave action. Smart experienced boaters will use the shaft of a screw driver in the hole to apply sufficient force to lock it tight, and then use wire through the hole to keep it from backing out. These ring up like gold, and are made of the highest quality stainless steel.....they rarley show any rust. Everytime I dig one I try to envision the boat drifting away scratching all the other boats as it drifts away out to sea....they are a personal treasure for me and I have a jar of them....6 new ones to start the season so far !!