What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

I will be checking out Gil Hibboen knives, in particular this one. I like the "easy to grip" bloodwood handle.

Screenshot 2025-11-08 at 12-26-31 Amazon.com Gil Hibben Bloodwood Sub Hilt Toothpick And Shea...webp
 
Mornin Evan!

Hey do you have a garage?

A Farmer built some bikes.
V-8 Engine sideways.
Early on I think he rigged them direct drive, No clutch. (!)
Not sure how later bikes were linked up.




We knew a couple of Bikies when we were teens and they built drag bikes.
They did up for a laugh some engine out of something else and put it in a Grand Prix mini bike. One of these.
maxresdefault-3387743394.webp

I had a go on it and it was terrifying. Had to back off the throttle way before it got to whatever speed it could do. They were laughing their heads of watching me try to ride it. I don't think anyone managed to ride it flat out.
 
Watched a small doco on the Unknown Soldier Tomb there in the States. I never knew it was guarded around the clock 24/7 rain, hail or shine. Wow what the guards go through to be one is incredible. They even live under the tomb! Their uniforms are measured when they put them on for perfection in dressing. The way they have to walk! Not to disrespect them but its how it looks, they walk like robots with precision. Unreal.
That was something else to see.
 
We knew a couple of Bikies when we were teens and they built drag bikes.
They did up for a laugh some engine out of something else and put it in a Grand Prix mini bike. One of these.
View attachment 2232706
I had a go on it and it was terrifying. Had to back off the throttle way before it got to whatever speed it could do. They were laughing their heads of watching me try to ride it. I don't think anyone managed to ride it flat out.
When I was 14 I bought a severely wrecked 1970 Yamaha DT175 for $40. The only part of the bike that was still good was the engine. A friend had a mini bike frame like that one you showed, so we shoehorned that 175cc 2-stroke motor into that little frame. Holy smokes was that thing fast!
The only brake was a flat steel plate that pushed against the back tire when you pushed the foot pedal down.
Crazy days of my youth. :tongue3:
 
Made in China Gil sold out.
Damnit !! Thanks Terry. I researched further and it says made in China on them. I'm looking for that style USA or Germany like Soligen.
 
When I was 14 I bought a severely wrecked 1970 Yamaha DT175 for $40. The only part of the bike that was still good was the engine. A friend had a mini bike frame like that one you showed, so we shoehorned that 175cc 2-stroke motor into that little frame. Holy smokes was that thing fast!
The only brake was a flat steel plate that pushed against the back tire when you pushed the foot pedal down.
Crazy days of my youth. :tongue3:
A friend and I put a 350-4 Honda street bike engine in to I think was an XL 250 ? His dad was a welder and helped a lot, I already knew how to line up the sprockets I learned how from throwing a chain. His dad said have fun boys !!
 
Damnit !! Thanks Terry. I researched further and it says made in China on them. I'm looking for that style USA or Germany like Soligen.
That’s really a shame. Gil used to be the blacksmith at Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri. I’ve watched him bring the hammer down on hot metal more than once. I suspect he would not approve of his name being used on something made in China, but who knows. I could be wrong.
 
That’s really a shame. Gil used to be the blacksmith at Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri. I’ve watched him bring the hammer down on hot metal more than once. I suspect he would not approve of his name being used on something made in China, but who knows. I could be wrong.
His website has some 1000 dollar plus knives... I'll bet /I hope those are US made....
 
That’s really a shame. Gil used to be the blacksmith at Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri. I’ve watched him bring the hammer down on hot metal more than once. I suspect he would not approve of his name being used on something made in China, but who knows. I could be wrong.
The majority of Gil Hibben knives are made in China, although some of his high-end, custom, handmade knives are crafted in the USA. Many of the knives found in general retail and online catalogs are mass-produced overseas, and they are still made to his design specifications.
 
Wow! Am I late today! Good evening everyone> Hope you all had a great day! Not bad here today. I even got in a good nap this afternoon.
 
I will be checking out Gil Hibboen knives, in particular this one. I like the "easy to grip" bloodwood handle.

View attachment 2232696
What would you use that for, hunting or something like that?
I have always found knives with those finger sections only good to be used one way hold and not very versatile. Say for self defense, they are almost impossible to hold properly with the blade pointing down away from the little finger. You have way more attack options and attack angles holding a knife with the blade pointing down that way with the edge facing you.
Say you do hold it in the manner I describe, the cutting edge will face the wrong way and be less effective unless you turn it into double edged. They feel good to hold the way they are intended to be but they are not good self defense fighting knives.
When I had that demonstrated to me years ago, the difference, it was a no brainer if they are intended for defense. 99% of people will hold a knife the wrong way in a fight. 😉
 
Good morning all. Sudden cold snap -- 37 degrees F outside, which is the warmest it's supposed to be all day. Windy and cold forecast for the day, and down to the low 20's overnight tonight. Brr.. But then back in the 60's by mid-week. Crazy weather.
 
Oh this going to be a crap show today weather wise.
Have to drive into the city pick up a rental van (have to keep stuff dry) leave the car there.
Pick up the goods at the auction site (most of everything is in the basement) take 7 shelving units apart.(203 pieces). Then the 3 layered tool box filled with tools.
Drive home, unload, and return the van back again within 24hrs.
I will be asking my self....WHY do you do things like this to yourself? :dontknow::icon_scratch::laughing7:

Screenshot 2025-11-09 at 6.03.17 AM.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom