THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

I’ve got the Port side. Wine that is.:laughing7:

RC,

Yep the collagen in bone broth is very good for you and also helps your gut health I've been told.

Most high end restaurants and hotels save all the offcuts and peels from veggies to make a stock. And as you say if you want a more intense meat stock roast the bones first to add flavor. Just not to hot or long as you don't want them to burn.

Those high end restaurants pretty much do the same thing our mothers and grandmothers did out of neccesity. The stale bread made bread pudding or stuffing for a chicken or turkey. Failing that bread crumbs and I remember when I was a kid they'd save the bacon fat to use for frying foods.

And the drippings from a chicken, turkey or roast made a delicious gravy with a bit of flour and seasoning.

Read an article on the "portable soup" Lewis and Clark took on their journey.
A couple hundred pounds plus.

The guy in the article trying to duplicate it used shanks (beef with lots of tendon and bone?) to cook the collagen out of and reduced it over hours till well condensed.
Then strained it into a crock pot and let it barely simmer for a day or two (refrigerating it at night I think but skimming fat off it's top when cooled before straining it into crockpot at least) until it was a rubbery sheet at the bottom of the pot.
He described it as a leathery fruit roll up type result.
Then he picked out the stray dots of fat , sliced it into strips and put it in the dehydrator with no heat and directed a fan on to it.
(Must just have been using the trays to get air around each piece.)
He quit drying when it almost broke when a strip was folded.(?) I think. l.o.l.

Simon will be here in a minute.
Maybe he can read a compass. If it Tom. :laughing7:
Oh Sh#t Tom watch out for that tree.:laughing7:

Last edited:
The waters are calm, the anchor is set. Goodnight

Appears most of us will be in isolation mode until the end of June based on the latest reports.

This song seems pretty appropriate if that's the case....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Keep my distance ?

I don't have coodies..........that I am aware of :dontknow:

Evening Simon,
Evening Bill,
Earthquake yesterday was something else. Not terrible here (about 40 miles away), but things shook pretty good.
It's amazing the reports that it was felt, as far away as it was.

Appears most of us will be in isolation mode until the end of June based on the latest reports.

This song seems pretty appropriate if that's the case....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Sure feels like the funny farm. Haven't heard that one in a long time. :tongue3:

Read an article on the "portable soup" Lewis and Clark took on their journey.
A couple hundred pounds plus.

The guy in the article trying to duplicate it used shanks (beef with lots of tendon and bone?) to cook the collagen out of and reduced it over hours till well condensed.
Then strained it into a crock pot and let it barely simmer for a day or two (refrigerating it at night I think but skimming fat off it's top when cooled before straining it into crockpot at least) until it was a rubbery sheet at the bottom of the pot.
He described it as a leathery fruit roll up type result.
Then he picked out the stray dots of fat , sliced it into strips and put it in the dehydrator with no heat and directed a fan on to it.
(Must just have been using the trays to get air around each piece.)
He quit drying when it almost broke when a strip was folded.(?) I think. l.o.l.

RC,
Interesting article :icon_thumright:
I remember my mom used to get Campbell's Beef Consume. I think it was soup, but she would put in the fridge, and later after it was gelled, would eat like Jello, except with a little salt. I had it many times, it was good.

Is this sort of the same stuff (prior to boiling down and dehydrating) ?

We had a few minutes of some snow flakes this afternoon, then cold wind rest of the day and mostly cloudy.
The chickens were really chattery today. I think they wanted me to tell you all ahoy for them.
Or Maybe it was a cat watching them for a while. The cats don't try anything during the day, and we close them up at night, so after 2 years, no casualties so far. Feel bad for them in the winter, they're barefoot. We give them warm oatmeal on really cold mornings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back