What's new

Think I found the king of wheat errors-1955 Double die

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1,930
Reaction score
811
Golden Thread
0
Location
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think I found the king of wheat errors-1955 Double die(UPDATE!!!)

Hello all. Shaking like a leaf right now. I think i found the rare 1955 Double die while going through some loose rolls tonight but want some expert opinions. Unfortunately, it has some damage, especially on the reverse. Please let me know what you think, MM2

(SEE REPLY #58 FOR UPDATE)!!
 

Attachments

  • DSCN4295.webp
    DSCN4295.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 816
  • DSCN4296.webp
    DSCN4296.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that is indeed a "real" 55 DD.
I don't think it is a counterfeit due to the damage.

I think this qualifies as banner in CRH terms.
 
Real deal, for sure. Congrats! The odds of finding one circulation is damn near impossible. I would bet it was from a collection. Send it to PCGS... Might come back "genuine" (ungradable) but they will still slab it & u will know its legit. Still will sell for $1000 either way.

You ROCK!!!
 
Way to go man! That must be a dream come true. the king of all double dies. I can't think of any single coin that I would rather find than this one. I can only imagine how excited you must be. Looks real to me, I would think if it was faked that the doubling would only be on the 1955 since the other areas would be tougher to fake. still, I'm no expert. As far as I'm concerned, you did it man, you found some real treasure
 
Finally, a banner find in the CRH threads.
Awesome!
 
Oh! What a find! Congrats! The doubling is as plain as day!
apush
 
Looks good to me! Congrats on the find. If you plan to sell it get it graded and you probably will get way more more for it. Great find and the condition is good. Make sure you don't try to clean this coin at all! Have a specialist do it if you do! I might have to say...banner.

Maine_Jim
 
I would certainly vote banner if I wanted more people CRH :laughing7: Amazing Find!!!!
 
I showed the coin to someone at work who told me the coin didn't look right. He owns one and he thought that the strike was too good. He also didn't like the way the C looked in Cents. I'm going to bring it by a coin dealer this afternoon for an opinion. If it isn't the real thing, i'll be disappointed but the search will go on. He also said that if it was a fake, it was a dam good one. I may just send it in to PCGS either way. Let you know either way. Thanks for the comments. MM2
 
It looks real, it is a nicely done fake if it isn't real.
 
I showed the coin to someone at work who told me the coin didn't look right. He owns one and he thought that the strike was too good. He also didn't like the way the C looked in Cents. I'm going to bring it by a coin dealer this afternoon for an opinion. If it isn't the real thing, i'll be disappointed but the search will go on. He also said that if it was a fake, it was a dam good one. I may just send it in to PCGS either way. Let you know either way. Thanks for the comments. MM2

I'm not very knowledgable on error coins...but if you want to feel better before sending it to get slabbed, you can get an image of a known/slabbed 55 DDO and overlay the image of your coin with the "real thing's image", and see how it lines up...if I had the skills, I'd do it for you. I know there are others on the forum who have done this with other coins. Just looking at your coin next to one advertised for $4000 on ebay..the "C" looks the same to me.

Good luck,
CD
 
WOW Joe... I have one word to say... AWESOME!!

You really deserve it after all them rolls and commitment, hope it is real... like others have said, send it out to be authenticated, but it looks all there to me!
really looking forward to results, this would be the find of the year- if not, the CRH forum! if it holds out, and I think it will!
hope you go back and buy more from that source,
HH
Buff
 
Holy crap!!

YAHTZEEEE!!!
TGB
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom