WARD BASED HIS STORY ON ORIGINAL "THE BEALE PAPERS" PUBLISHED 1850

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We do not have access to the story of his daughter, just hearsay of what was said . He did wright the pamphlet and put the text into it final form, if she said anything I'm sure that is what she was referring to .

It would be nice to see the news story, but no one has access to it that I have seen .

Your reply is exactly what I'm talking about as there is absolutely no proof, or even any evidence, that Ward had anything at all to do "with writing the pamphlet or with putting the text into a final form." This is something you simply desire to believe without any source materials that even hint at such. All we know is what the narration claims, that Ward was simply selected as the agent for the narration, but this in no way should be taken to mean that he had anything at all to do with any portion of the narration or it's final preparing.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You seem to be short on proof of anything you say, got proof ?
"He (Charles W Button) ended his newspaper career with a bizarre interlude in which he sold the Daily Virginian to one of his sub-editors who had earlier written a dime novel that may have sparked the Beale treasure legend about a hoard of gold buried in Bedford"- Joe Stinnett/ THE NEWS & ADVANCE, Lynchburg, Virginia- April 18, 2015
Stinnett, as with Martha Rivers Adams of the Lynchburg News, have written several articles on the Beale Papers and those who were involved with it.

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
"He (Charles W Button) ended his newspaper career with a bizarre interlude in which he sold the Daily Virginian to one of his sub-editors who had earlier written a dime novel that may have sparked the Beale treasure legend about a hoard of gold buried in Bedford"- Joe Stinnett/ THE NEWS & ADVANCE, Lynchburg, Virginia- April 18, 2015
Stinnett, as with Martha Rivers Adams of the Lynchburg News, have written several articles on the Beale Papers and those who were involved with it.

You do seem to know a lot about them, but no one has ever put them up that I have seen . Should I assume that they do not exist because no one has put them up on post and I have not seen them as of yet ?

TN_Guest1523

Dec 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Your reply is exactly what I'm talking about as there is absolutely no proof, or even any evidence, that Ward had anything at all to do "with writing the pamphlet or with putting the text into a final form." This is something you simply desire to believe without any source materials that even hint at such. All we know is what the narration claims, that Ward was simply selected as the agent for the narration, but this in no way should be taken to mean that he had anything at all to do with any portion of the narration or it's final preparing.

It would be a simple balance to say that instead of James Ward had written the whole of the Beale Papers or to say he did not wright the Beale Papers at all, But to say that he was the agent that arranged the draft text into what we see today as a Pamphlet .

We need to understand that there is a manuscript out there that has the original notes from the deposition taken by hand from Mr Morriss . This document lets call it the Autograph Original Manuscript of the Deposition from Morriss would be in the Ward Families possession as it states in the Beale Papers .

The gentleman whom I have selected as my agent, to publish and circulate these papers, was well-known to Mr. Morriss; it was at his house that Mrs. Morriss died, and he would have been one of the beneficiaries in the event of my success. Like every one else, he was ignorant of this episode in Mr. Morriss' career, until the manuscript was placed in his hands. Trusting that he will be benefited by the arrangement, which, I know, would have met the approval of Mr. Morriss, I have left the whole subject to his sole management and charge. It is needless to say that I shall await with much anxiety the development of the mystery.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You do seem to know a lot about them, but no one has ever put them up that I have seen . Should I assume that they do not exist because no one has put them up on post and I have not seen them as of yet ?
They exist- with a little basic research they can be found.
Now as for the questionable "manuscript"-as with the "Beale letters", the only mention of its existence is only in the Beale Papers text narrative.
Remember, James Beverly Ward applied for copyright with only the title, no manuscript, no Beale letters, only the title that states that the work is "authentic".
That is a very unusual way to apply for a copyright, and on "borrowed" stationary from ADAMS BROS & PAYNES , where his son-in-law was employed.
Was this just another ploy to disguise who the real author(s) of the yet to be printed job pamphlet were?
A lot of planned subterfuge surround this work, including the actually story in the text and to how the copyright was applied.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be a simple balance to say that instead of James Ward had written the whole of the Beale Papers or to say he did not wright the Beale Papers at all, But to say that he was the agent that arranged the draft text into what we see today as a Pamphlet .

We need to understand that there is a manuscript out there that has the original notes from the deposition taken by hand from Mr Morriss . This document lets call it the Autograph Original Manuscript of the Deposition from Morriss would be in the Ward Families possession as it states in the Beale Papers .

The gentleman whom I have selected as my agent, to publish and circulate these papers, was well-known to Mr. Morriss; it was at his house that Mrs. Morriss died, and he would have been one of the beneficiaries in the event of my success. Like every one else, he was ignorant of this episode in Mr. Morriss' career, until the manuscript was placed in his hands. Trusting that he will be benefited by the arrangement, which, I know, would have met the approval of Mr. Morriss, I have left the whole subject to his sole management and charge. It is needless to say that I shall await with much anxiety the development of the mystery.

The above in bold is all anyone "needs to understand" as a matter of written fact, or original written claim. "In no way" should this be manifested into "Ward wrote the pamphlet" or "Ward prepared the final print." All that is stated in the original source material is that Ward was "selected as agent to publish and circulate these papers."

What folks "need to understand" is that there are a lot of hopefuls out there with personal agendas who are making a lot of claims as fact that simply do not exist.
"selected as agent to publish and circulate these papers." And that's all we have, nothing more. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If "knowledge of this affair was confined to a very limited circle-to the writer's immediate family, and to one old and valued friend", and with Ward selected as "agent", that brings F C Hutter back as an author candidate, as Peter Viemeister proposed.
As for editors who provided the "final print" for printing, John William Sherman who was the printer and experienced sub-editor, or his boss, Charles W Button, owner of the job print shop and Lynchburg Virginian.
When it comes to the publishing, printing, advertising, and sales of the 1885 Beale Papers, it is "confined to a very limited circle".

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If "knowledge of this affair was confined to a very limited circle-to the writer's immediate family, and to one old and valued friend", and with Ward selected as "agent", that brings F C Hutter back as an author candidate, as Peter Viemeister proposed.
As for editors who provided the "final print" for printing, John William Sherman who was the printer and experienced sub-editor, or his boss, Charles W Button, owner of the job print shop and Lynchburg Virginian.
When it comes to the publishing, printing, advertising, and sales of the 1885 Beale Papers, it is "confined to a very limited circle".

Perhaps, but as you well know, and to barrow your previous reference, it's all still just more Rabbit hole. I seriously doubt if anything will ever surface to help clarify any of the residing mysteries in this treasure tale, or at least nothing that can be confirmed. Too much time has passed and with so little to work from and with so many discrepancies in the narration I'm of the mind that if there was any type of confirmation out there it would have already been found with so many qualified and capable people having searched over the years. I fully suspect that it will remain another looming treasure legend long after we are all gone, despite all of the usual claims to the contrary.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Perhaps, but as you well know, and to barrow your previous reference, it's all still just more Rabbit hole. I seriously doubt if anything will ever surface to help clarify any of the residing mysteries in this treasure tale, or at least nothing that can be confirmed. Too much time has passed and with so little to work from and with so many discrepancies in the narration I'm of the mind that if there was any type of confirmation out there it would have already been found with so many qualified and capable people having searched over the years. I fully suspect that it will remain another looming treasure legend long after we are all gone, despite all of the usual claims to the contrary.
YEP! Think I'm gonna go back up to the Shenandoah Valley, soon. Miss the MOUNTAINS! Civil War battlefields, Treasure of Powell Fort Valley, long lost Treasures of the German immigrants into Mid-Rockingham County, Peaked Mountain, Page County, Shenandoah County, Frederick County, CONFEDERATE War "Loots"... PLENTY of CAVES!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEP! Think I'm gonna go back up to the Shenandoah Valley, soon. Miss the MOUNTAINS! Civil War battlefields, Treasure of Powell Fort Valley, long lost Treasures of the German immigrants into Mid-Rockingham County, Peaked Mountain, Page County, Shenandoah County, Frederick County, CONFEDERATE War "Loots"... PLENTY of CAVES!

Get a good metal detector, spend your time at the beaches and those old forgotten places, no doubt you'll actually recover existing real world treasures a few pieces at a time. I think I'm about physically ready to attempt it again. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a good metal detector, spend your time at the beaches and those old forgotten places, no doubt you'll actually recover existing real world treasures a few pieces at a time. I think I'm about physically ready to attempt it again. :thumbsup:

I believe that is what everyone needs to do. I only worked on the Beale Treasure when I got bored searching for other treasures. When I thought I found the Beale Treasure and needed funds to recover I went after the Confederate Gold hoping to find some of it to finance a Beale Recovery. Then when I found the Confederate Gold I found out I needed even more funds to recover the Confederate Gold. Kind of ran me in a circle for about twenty years. I believe we could have more luck with a metal detector at the beach or some old treasure sites where there is actual treasure to find. Large treasures need deep pockets to recover. Some day maybe but right now pocket change finds would be a lot of fun.

O

Old Silver

It's the smaller, non-popular caches that I like to go after. The large, legendary ones are fun to talk about, but that's about it. I've never gone looking for any of those.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The large legendary ones are mostly that, LARGE LEGENDS.

Except for one the Confederate Treasury. I was looking for the small caches of gold and silver and stumbled upon all of it. trouble is permission and recovery. Tons and Tons and Tons are hard to remove from scores of locations.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Except for one the Confederate Treasury. I was looking for the small caches of gold and silver and stumbled upon all of it. trouble is permission and recovery. Tons and Tons and Tons are hard to remove from scores of locations.
We need NINJA Treasure Hunters... JA...?

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would seem this Edward was looking for the Beale mine!

13151527_1452308118207450_4964619651758832188_n.jpg LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread