What causes this kind of crack?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
This thing looks like PMD at first glance.
Under magnification though it is mint damage. Runs from the very top and follows through to the bottom of the memorial.
20190221_050132_HDR.jpg

Reminds me of the time I watched a fissure open up in the ground during an earthquake.
So many cracks and splits near the mint mark off the main crack that I wonder if it is a lamination thing.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lamination, worth a few bucks on war nic. buy a REDBOOK. put "error-ref.com" in "favorites -----------------------
then spend hours studying ALL THE DATA there:happysmiley:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been studying so much that I have a headache. I found a new variety asymmetrical rim to rim cracked Lincoln that I'll post later tonight.

You need to study more on what is a Variety and what is an Error. In the case of your' War Nickel, the lamination splits are considered as Errors as all other mistakes that occurred at the Mint(s) with planchets and coins and even if the Error was caused by problems with the Die (i.e. Die Dots, Die Scratches, Cuds, Die Cracks, Die Breaks, Excessive Polishing or Grinding marks, etc., etc.). Doubled Dies and RPM's, the first which is actually caused by an error in hubbing and the second caused by additional off-the-mark Mint Mark punches is caused by an error but both are considered Varieties. Varieties are the result of planned and approved or needed changes to the Dies and or Planchet composition type. Sorry if it sounds confusing but it is really hard to describe the differences in the two (Errors and Varieties) and some are still being debated by Collectors, Dealers and Coin Experts to this day.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread