What's new

What is the best footwear?

wglace

Greenie
Joined
Feb 25, 2014
Messages
13
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Port Charlotte, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tired of the sand in my shoes.

What kind of footwear do you use to keep the sand from irritating your skin?

Would a divers type shoe or boot help?
 
Upvote 0
Summer time, I use a pair of my old fly fishing boots, with a neopren sock. Works fine. colder water temps , I use a pair of booted chest wader,s.
 
Go to your local dive shop and buy you a par of dive boots !!
 
I have no problems with sand in the boots until I hunt ruff ocean waters then I have to resort to the below

Boot foot waders but your limited on how far you can venture out.

Dive boots with 3mm neoprene sox's but will not keep the sand out 100% if you hunt a ruff water beach. The sox's will protect your feet and toes from the constant rubbing.

My sox foot waders and my drysuits do have straps at the bottom of the cuffs and pull tight enough to keep out most of the sand. Pulls down over the boots and tightens.

Those are some great prices on the NRS but they look like medium sole bottoms, make sure you don't have to walk on small to large rocks or you will regret. Best are hard sole boots, I like the felt bottom but NRS stopped making those...2 lower are hard sole, one upper is med..duty sole

OBN0308.webp
 
I just hunt bare foot. I move quick.. Like a gazelle! No sand irritates my hoofs.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
Felt soles are on the way out as they cross contaminated ponds with algae and snails, just like moving a boat from one lake to another without proper cleaning.

I use the hard sole dive booties with a pair of fluffy socks on. Any sand that gets into the boot will not bother a socked foot. Thin nylon sock do not work well for me; nor do the heavy cotton athletic socks.

Another trick to keep sand out it to put an elastic elbow support over the meeting area of your bare leg and over the top of the bootie.
 
You could just do the stereotypical thing and wear black socks with sandals!

Mike
 
I agree with Casper. NRS has been making rugged waterboots for years for rafters and professional divers. They make the best working UW boots I ever had. Very rugged, comfortable and warm.

That said, you guys who hunt in warm water and sandy places are lucky. I fight broken glass, shells, sharp rocks and leeches every time I go out.
 
I agree with Casper. NRS has been making rugged waterboots for years for rafters and professional divers. They make the best working UW boots I ever had. Very rugged, comfortable and warm. That said, you guys who hunt in warm water and sandy places are lucky. I fight broken glass, shells, sharp rocks and leeches every time I go out.

I grew up in NY and lived in MA for 7 years so I feel your pain. You can move to Florida too and hunt the warm water beaches. Trade those gray skies and snow for some sunshine and palm trees!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
. Ditto. Never any problems.

STEP ON A FEW JELLYFISH - STINGRAYS OR HORSE CRABS AMONG OTHER THINGS - I HAVE A FEW BEACHES LOADED WITH CRABS THAT WILL ATTACK YOUR FEET AND ANKLES - I GOT A VERY LARGE HORSHOE CRAB TAIL RIGHT UP INTO MY ARCH WHEN I WAS YOUNGER - NEVER WENT BARE FOOT AGAIN
I WEAR THEN EVEN WHEN IM SWIMMING IN SALTWATER
 
I just hunt bare foot. I move quick.. Like a gazelle! No sand irritates my hoofs.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
When I first started I went barefoot, after discovering what is in that beach sand I started wearing protection. I have dug up filet knives point up, broken bottles, hypo needles, large brass screws, large treble hooks (dug because there was lead attached) water soak wood with nails, razor blades and that is just the man made dangers I can think of....
 
When I first started I went barefoot, after discovering what is in that beach sand I started wearing protection. I have dug up filet knives point up, broken bottles, hypo needles, large brass screws, large treble hooks (dug because there was lead attached) water soak wood with nails, razor blades and that is just the man made dangers I can think of....
do you really think a water shoe will protect you from the above? esp. filet knives or hypo needles? rubber soles do not seem to offer much protection from these items.
 
do you really think a water shoe will protect you from the above? esp. filet knives or hypo needles? rubber soles do not seem to offer much protection from these items.
I'm not talking the cheap flimsy soft water boots, my water boots have hard sole bottoms with arch supports.
 
what kind are they? just interested,,,,
 
what kind are they? just interested,,,,
They are in my van and I'm too lazy to go look right now, but I believe they are Oceanic...

Do a google search for "dive boots hard soles arch support", there are multiple makers....
 
I'll try em

Thanks for the replies. Just ordered a pair of high top dive boots. My main concern is keeping the sand out. While wading barefoot the other day I didn't give any thought to the creepy-crawlies or fish hooks, glass and assorted other trash available to enable a trip to the ER.
 
One quick tip is bring your pin pointer when shopping for detecting footwear. These days, many boots/shoes now have a band of metal in them that is not otherwise obvious. I have had problems detecting my feet, when the detector coil is too close.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom