What's new

What organism are these black dots

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious on these little dots ?
 

Attachments

  • image-77562135.webp
    image-77562135.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0
You will have to send me that piece so I can look at it in hand for me to know for sure. Make sure you dont put a return address on it. :notworthy:
 
Could be manganese deposits, a good sign of an authentic artifact.
 
Thanks yes I was very excited when I found it was on the way to the truck when I found it about 50 yards it was awesome lol
 
Could be manganese deposits, a good sign of an authentic artifact.

Thanks for your input these deposits what are they from ?
 
It shows the age of the artifact. Usually you have to have a microscope to see them. If you see no spots then it means they arent ancient. Its like patina.
 
I need a microscope lol I use magnifying glasses but that's all I got I should prob purchase one thanks for the info !!!
 
I sometimes find them with those little black dots as well. I know 12000 + years ago or so we have that layer of nano diamonds . I do not know what causes those dots.
Nice artifact. Big.
 
Cool Find! :icon_thumright: The spots may be caused by a mineral in the rock, that after being exposed for a long time to moisture and or other minerals in the soil. Thus creating the spots. Or it may be a type of fungus.
 
First off, send that piece to me. Not Rock. Lol! It's a nice spade or Celt or what ever tool it is, and more pics of it would be nice. The black spots are moss or fungi. I see it often on pieces that I find in wet areas. I never really purposely remove it, but removal doesn't affect the patina. If the idea of a fungus bothers you, scrape the spots off. If not, let their be a fungus among us!
 
Unmistakable.....cooties, best thing for you to do is package it up, send it to me..im only thinking of your well being.
Seriously an awesome find, I bet you were flipping when you found that.

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain
 
I would send it right away but I think I've already been exposed to the artifact disease lol it's very contagious Haha I'll post some more pictures
 
Thanks guys it made my day hope to find more lol
 
If you are concerned about fungi or insects, could you microwave it for a few seconds?

Grats on the find.
 
Looks like what some folks call oolitic , or oolithic. Google search oolithic chert, great find. thanks for the view.
 
It doesn't bother me that they are there I was trying to learn more about it to understand all these replys are a great learning experience for me I love to learn new things everyday lol thanks for all the info it's much appreciated here are some more pictures of this piece
 

Attachments

  • image-1410444843.webp
    image-1410444843.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image-3460858208.webp
    image-3460858208.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 112
  • image-68184905.webp
    image-68184905.webp
    45.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image-398930300.webp
    image-398930300.webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 122
I guess you know Paleo is big in your area rite? Thats either a nicely flaked Hoe or a Paleo hand ax. That is one of the best artifacts you have posted yet. Old Digger will probably know if it is Paleo. Id like to see a pic of both ends.
 
One end is pointy the other worked flat here's the end pick also has some quartz on one end
 

Attachments

  • image-2479728498.webp
    image-2479728498.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1156390072.webp
    image-1156390072.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 98
  • image-4034417613.webp
    image-4034417613.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image-2631552335.webp
    image-2631552335.webp
    44 KB · Views: 104

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom