What's new

What organism are these black dots

painterx7

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
2,579
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious on these little dots ?
 

Attachments

  • image-77562135.webp
    image-77562135.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0
If you are concerned about fungi or insects, could you microwave it for a few seconds?

Grats on the find.

I guess you could but if it had any traces of iron ore inside idk what it would do lol
 
True. I didn't consider that. You'd have lightning in the microwave or worse.
 
I guess you could but if it had any traces of iron ore inside idk what it would do lol

Lol I didn't think about it for a second either lol lightning prob look cool
 
With the new pics it looks to be a hoe to me. Best thing you have posted, a real real good find:notworthy:
 
nice find i posted one with some black elongated dots awhile back also.anything with those black things is old ,mine was a cobbs blade,so they say.
 
nice find i posted one with some black elongated dots awhile back also.anything with those black things is old ,mine was a cobbs blade,so they say.

Yes it was a pretty good moment lol it was a pretty good day I found all these
 

Attachments

  • image-4083726203.webp
    image-4083726203.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 120
nice find i posted one with some black elongated dots awhile back also.anything with those black things is old ,mine was a cobbs blade,so they say.

How thick was yours?
 
I wouldnt remove the dots it shows the age. I also say Hoe after seeing the ends. The hand ax is wider across the center that one is narrow like a Hoe.
Id have to say one of the best Hoes I have ever seen.
 
Here is one I got at a show in a large collection. It was the best one out of the whole lot. The others were made from Green Stone, this was the only one made from flint. This was a collection from Tn.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2143.webp
    100_2143.webp
    528.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_2158.webp
    100_2158.webp
    161.8 KB · Views: 80
I think its a spade/shovel/ hoe type tool. We hunt a site in centeral Texas and the artifacts we find there have a similar look (spotting). It is minerial deposits from being in the ground so long. Your dots/spots are probally something similar.
 
Here is one I got at a show in a large collection. It was the best one out of the whole lot. The others were made from Green Stone, this was the only one made from flint. This was a collection from Tn.

Very nice hoe pieces sir nice collection I love them rocks
 
Ok rock I've come to the conclusion this piece is no hoe I found it on a steep rocky hillside it's very sharp on one side not so much the other here it is compared to two hoes I have that would be more suited for digging in this hard hard ground...the other pics are today's finds and who do you know in tennessee that could help me find out what some of my maybe paleo pieces are ?
 

Attachments

  • image-4253348947.webp
    image-4253348947.webp
    28.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2871489449.webp
    image-2871489449.webp
    30 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3535448689.webp
    image-3535448689.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 77
TnMountains rite here on the site should know more about that piece seeing he lives in Tn and has a nice collection of all types. He must be busy this week cause he is usually on here. Maybe you can send him a PM and let him have a look.
 
That black stuff I think is a lichen and not a fungi. Give them 100 million years and they will break your artifact down to dust. But you don't plan on living that long! Definitely keep it! :)
 
Lol thanks and I hope I don't live that long
 
Greenwood beat me to it. If not mineral, my vote would be lichen.
Thats one heck of an artifact, shes purdy!
 
Definitely top 10 artifacts I've found
 
Very nice find, indeed. Not a Paleo hand axe, however. Those are Old World, not New world, tools. The dots are a lot more likely to be part of the rock rather then an indication of age.
 
I agree with Charl great find..not a hand axe.
I have pieces full of those dots..mine are part of the stone as I think those are.
 
I've noticed with hand axes they are made of a denser type chert I figure this piece to be a tool for one of the final phases of wood working too nice for a hoe but not nice enough for meat or hides what do you think
 

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom