What's new

what to buy

yoteseeker

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 19, 2013
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a garret in mid 80's and a whites mdx in late 90's, liked them both. I now want start detecting again after 15 yr absence.Looking at
a fisher f4,minelab 305 or garret 350. Price not important.Will mostly use for coin hunting.Thoughts,preferance? Leaning toward 350.Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
 
Of the ones you mentioned, I would go with the F4, or 305. The F4 is nice as it comes with a sweet DD coil. You get a lot more performance and features for the money than you do with the Garrett.
 
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You didn't mention your state (or country) - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
3rd - Whatever MD you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.
 
It helps if you could tell a little about what you want to hunt, and where. Some folks here most likely do the same and can tell you what they are using and what works for them. There is no all around detector, most shoot coins and are single frequency VLF. The coil mentioned above is a killer coil. Most of the sponsors on here can also help you with your purchase. The detector I want isnt made yet, but they are getting close lol. I hunt with a guy who is new to the hobby, he has a T2. It keeps up with my F75, may be better in some cases. The F75 has 500 settings, i use two of em lol. There are things like a screen that displays numbers, or a waterproof machine. You have done this before so you know what you liked before. There is no bad detectors out there, just some that go a little deeper, or discriminate a little better. Im a old guy with a bad back, the light weight Fisher I own is good on battery's, and loves silver coins. It is backlighted so I can hunt in the dark. There is a long list of things I could say, but want you to get the detector you want. Talk to Bart, or Kellyco, or any of the sponsors here. My advice is biased, and most folk will talk up their detector.
 
Honestly if price isn't important why r u settling for a bottom of the line detector.
 
Well I would go for a white xlt or dfx from whites or a tesoro vaquero.
 
Those are all good entry level machines. The F4 and X305 have ground balance capabilities, so if have mineralized soil, they will do better than the Ace 350. In normal soil, the two with DD coils will give you better depth. If money is no object, you might consider the AT Pro in the mix - gives you waterproof capabilities, and it's a great relic , coin, and jewelry detector.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com
 
Honestly if price isn't important why r u settling for a bottom of the line detector.

Price between the three isn't important.I'm in az most of the time.
 
...dont know much about the other machines...BUT..I have heard MANY people that DIDNT like the ACE 350...
 
I was looking at the duck dynsty banner at kellyco. They are selling a camo detector with gps, for $325.00 I believe. Do a compare and you may find this is a good one to just scrub the park turf with once a week or so. Im considering getting one.
 
since you live in AZ I would definely look into something that also will detect gold nuggets. I have the whites DFX and it has a prospecting program in it. Just my 2 cent. What ever you buy good luck and welcome to Tnet.
 
I only have limited experience metal detecting, but have done alot of comparing md's before finally ordering one this morning. I had all but pulled the trigger on a Fisher until i talked to a Fisher dealer. Unaware of it, he talked me out of it...I decided on the AT Pro from Garrett. Here is why...It is very light, versatile, WATERPROOF, and also cheaper then anything comparable. Also fairly easy to operate, even for a newbie like me. It is rated to read about 2 inches deeper than the ACE350.....and its WATERPROOF! I didnt research the f4, but the f2 was on my stepdads list until a youtube video showed the ACE250 blow it out of the water in a depth test. The f2 struggled to find a quarter at 4 inches in wet sand. I do believe the 350 will suit you if your not worried about the extras of the AT pro......Most all the AT Pro haters are using $1500+ detectors...so there you go. I dont beleive you can buy a better machine for the price.
 
I only have limited experience metal detecting, but have done alot of comparing md's before finally ordering one this morning. I had all but pulled the trigger on a Fisher until i talked to a Fisher dealer. Unaware of it, he talked me out of it...I decided on the AT Pro from Garrett. Here is why...It is very light, versatile, WATERPROOF, and also cheaper then anything comparable. Also fairly easy to operate, even for a newbie like me. It is rated to read about 2 inches deeper than the ACE350.....and its WATERPROOF! I didnt research the f4, but the f2 was on my stepdads list until a youtube video showed the ACE250 blow it out of the water in a depth test. The f2 struggled to find a quarter at 4 inches in wet sand. I do believe the 350 will suit you if your not worried about the extras of the AT pro......Most all the AT Pro haters are using $1500+ detectors...so there you go. I dont beleive you can buy a better machine for the price.

You must have found the one and only test that shows the ace 250 beat the f2. My f2 finds dimes at 8" with the 4" coil. The general concensus on this forum is the f2 is a much better machine. Ive seen 2 AT pros break off at the control box. Not good for a $600 machine
 
I only have limited experience metal detecting, but have done alot of comparing md's before finally ordering one this morning. I had all but pulled the trigger on a Fisher until i talked to a Fisher dealer. Unaware of it, he talked me out of it...I decided on the AT Pro from Garrett. Here is why...It is very light, versatile, WATERPROOF, and also cheaper then anything comparable. Also fairly easy to operate, even for a newbie like me. It is rated to read about 2 inches deeper than the ACE350.....and its WATERPROOF! I didnt research the f4, but the f2 was on my stepdads list until a youtube video showed the ACE250 blow it out of the water in a depth test. The f2 struggled to find a quarter at 4 inches in wet sand. I do believe the 350 will suit you if your not worried about the extras of the AT pro......Most all the AT Pro haters are using $1500+ detectors...so there you go. I dont beleive you can buy a better machine for the price.
I guess if its on the internet it must be true. By the way I'm a French model.
 
It all comes down to this........ The more the ask the more different answers you will get ..... And it will be your detector ...It is up to you to decide on what detector to buy you have to make up your own mind what you want........... It is not for others to make your decision's for you ..... You have to make that decision...........
 
Being in Az I'd go with something like an AT Gold.
 
Maybe an xterra? The 505 & 705 can run 3 different frequencies. With the right coils it can be a nugget shooter one day, and a silver killer the next day!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom