What's new

Whats this whistle from?

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's this whistle from?

I found this whistle the other day. At first I thought is was a shell from a 30-30. It's about that big and seems to be made of lead? Fatter at one end and has a little hole in the small end. I was wondering if anyone knows what it may be from? Thanks. :icon_pirat:
 

Attachments

  • Whistle 1.webp
    Whistle 1.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 358
  • Whistle 2.webp
    Whistle 2.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 351
Re: What's this whistle from?

Colliape or organ pipe perhaps? I've seen a few at DeBence Antique Music world museum in Franklin PA. They have a website. http://www.debencemusicworld.com Click on Other Antiques at the left side of their homepage to see pictures of what I'm talking about.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What's this whistle from?

1liquigirl said:
Colliape or organ pipe perhaps? I've seen a few at DeBence Antique Music world museum in Franklin PA. They have a website. http://www.debencemusicworld.com Click on Other Antiques at the left side of their homepage to see pictures of what I'm talking about.

It's very small. About 2.5 - 3 inches long. Thanks! :drunken_smilie:
 
Upvote 0
Re: What's this whistle from?

It doesn't look like lead. Is that rust I see on it? Does it actually make a sound when you blow in it or is it silent like a dog whistle? ie-does it work? What type of area was it found in?
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: What's this whistle from?

diggummup said:
It doesn't look like lead. Is that rust I see on it? Does it actually make a sound when you blow in it or is it silent like a dog whistle? ie-does it work? What type of area was it found in?

It was dug out of the dirt in the area that would have been a front yard where an old house once was. It was not rusty at all. No corrosion of any kind, just dirty. There is no rust on it. It does make a sound, it does work.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What's this whistle from?

diggummup said:
It doesn't look like lead. Is that rust I see on it? Does it actually make a sound when you blow in it or is it silent like a dog whistle? ie-does it work? What type of area was it found in?

Dog training whistle. Thay aren't all silent.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: What's this whistle from?

They made Calliope pipes in all sizes, is the hole shaped for the mouth? If it is completely cylindrical, I'm sticking with Calliope. The smaller the pipe, the higher the pitch. They have one at DeBence that was operating with a hand crank and it had the high pitch pipes in this size. Unfortunately, it was missing the live monkey that went around to collect change from the spectators with a cup. Did you check around and see if there were any more of these in the general area?
 
Upvote 0
Re: What's this whistle from?

SkyPirate said:
bigcypresshunter said:
If it has a hole for a ring, I would agree dog training whistle. http://www.blackgundog.com/productD...ails.asp?item=acme-dog-training-whistle-211-5

No ring hole. Just a little hole at the skinny end

Is the hole threaed? I suspect there was a ring attached to a screw assembly on the end. It came unscrewed and the whistle was lost. Look at some Google images of dog whistles. You'll see ones of similar construction.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: What's this whistle from?

i was doing some research about pipe organs, an remember the big Wanamaker's store had one,so i checked for it on-line.
it had pipes up to 10 ft.,an as small as 1 inch. but your pipe isn't shaped right.
most organ pipes are cone shaped.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What's this whistle from?

I don't know . I have a kid's whistle I got at a farm auction 40 years ago that looks very similar . It has about a 5 inch turned wooden handle inserted in the end that could have rotted away from your's .
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom