Where did union troops most often place artillery sites

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am overlaying old CW maps with google earth and it seem like the artillery was placed on a creek bank about 700 yards north of confederate positions.
but just behind site is a buff that is about 100 feet high. It seems like this is the area they would place their cannons. Could be a error on my part just trying to align these overlayed cW maps on google earth. (not always easy).

Where did union troops typical place their cannons? or is there a typical place?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am overlaying old CW maps with google earth and it seem like the artillery was placed on a creek bank about 700 yards north of confederate positions.
but just behind site is a buff that is about 100 feet high. It seems like this is the area they would place their cannons. Could be a error on my part just trying to align these overlayed cW maps on google earth. (not always easy).

Where did union troops typical place their cannons? or is there a typical place?
I would think terrain and likelihood of counter battery fire would be the deciding factors.I wouldn,t think of any site as typical but I,m no Civil War expert.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most CW and even WW1 artillery was placed line of sight to the forward observers. During the CW this would put the observer fairly close to the gun emplacement. The gun positions themselves would ideally be placed to fire into the last 1/3 of the maximum effective range. This puts them out of range of most small arms and the opposing guns. So this all depends on the type of gun and how far they can effectively fire. The cannon ball guy can probably give you an idea of ranges of various ordnance and who used what. Just my thoughts from my days in the Army, the doctrine is still the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread