What's new

WOOHOO! scored a gold coin!!!!!!

Slipperyjack47

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
689
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
What a day!!!!!! I had a few chores to do this morning and then had a few minutes to get out with the trusty minelab, and boy what a few minutes! I had been out the evening before and had dug a real interesting ring that is like a minature mosaic, I think its one of the most interesting things I have ever dug. Shortly after that I was hitting an area that I have beat up real hard and was working tight to a tree when I got a very ugly 1904 barber dime, but any silver is good silver :D So this afternoon I decided to hit a spot that had produced alot of older coins for me and work real tight to all the trees there. after about 15 minutes of nothing I got a signal that was cross between a twist off top off a 40 ouncer and an indian head penny. Since I had'nt done alot of digging I decided to give it a shot. I cut my plug and flipped the top over and instantly saw the gold in the hole, my first thought was "its a gold colored twist off top :( I reached in a as I grabbed the object the soil falls off the coin and I see a liberty head and then the hands start shaking! I let out a Yehhhaaaaaa! so loud a young couple that was taking a walk in the park came running thinking I had hurt myself lol. After explaining what had happened and showing off my prize I grabbed the minelab and off to the house I run! This is by far the best coin I have ever dug and I am sure the pics do it no justice as everyone including myself that has seen it agrees that it is flawless and looks as if it just came from the mint. It ends up its a 1899 five dollar gold piece with S mint mark! In this condition I know its gotta be a real winner! I told everyone that this was the year I would find the gold coin and I guess now I finally did it, man I am on cloud nine

HH
Slipperyjack47
 

Attachments

  • mosaic ring.webp
    mosaic ring.webp
    12.7 KB · Views: 6,029
  • barber 1.webp
    barber 1.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 5,968
  • barber obverse.webp
    barber obverse.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 5,946
  • gold coin 1.webp
    gold coin 1.webp
    55.8 KB · Views: 5,972
  • gold coin obverse.webp
    gold coin obverse.webp
    55.2 KB · Views: 5,996
Upvote 0
very nice congrats. if you have to find gold, I gess fresh form the mint would be ok, I gess. now go get more. You know it is just like making a million the first one is the hardest..
 
Way to go, congrats on the coin and making the banner, I'll be thinking twice before I skip over a signal in the future. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang:
 
I love gold liberties. Never found one though! XLNT!
 
Congrats on the Gold Coin....so how long did it take the young couple to find a detector shop...lol.

NJ
 
Good for you!
I'm still waiting for mine.
Newt
 
The ring is awesome! The coin is the find of a lifetime. Looks like the banner will be changing often. Congrats!
 
Man oh Man, what a coin. Congratulations on the banner and the find of a lifetime.
 
Fantastic!!!!! Well deserved banner find!
 
Jack, that is one totally awesome find.. I am super thrilled for ya.. now git back there n see if there is any more... wohooooooooooooooooooooooo
 
In MS63 it could sell as high as $1000. In MS65, as high as $9600. Anything MS60 and below it is still worth $225-$235, Nice find!
 
WTG buddy! One awesome find that you'll have a hard time beating! Beautiful! ffd
 
Congratulations on the five dollar gold coin and making the the banner. Do it again.
roger
 
Beautiful Gold coin! One of those is definately on my wish list of things that statistically may not happen. Thanks for sharing.
 
Wow,
It is as good or better than you told me on the phone, Congrats on the banner!

HH, TR
 
So that's what it takes to make the banner ... :read2:

That truly is what dreams are made of ... :icon_thumright:

Congratulations ...

~ Al
 
Thats an awesome find!! I hope to find one at least that nice! (If not better!) :laughing7: Way to go. :icon_thumright:
 
An unforgettable moment. Banner :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom