🥇 BANNER 1761 Two Reales, 1803 Draped Bust dime, and a heavey dose of heartbreak

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started hunting a new field this past winter/spring. The finds were scattered, but there was enough to encourage me that I might find a nice piece of early silver in this field. The first two short hunts had yielded 7 buttons and 4 toasted coppers. The only identifiable copper was a Draped Bust large cent. Last week I finally got a text from a member of the family that owns the field saying that the hay had finally been cut. I made plans with my buddy Tom to visit the field on Saturday. Saturday was hot and humid, the bugs were swarming us, the ground was dry and hard as a rock, and the hay stubble was making it difficult to get the coil close to the soil.
After 3.5 hours we had enough and called it a day. I had recovered 5 buttons (one of which I lost), 3 musketballs, and a well worn 1761 Two Reales. The Spanish silver was tarnished pretty dark. Since it was already so worn, I used a little baking soda and water to lightened it up. Tom ended up with a couple buttons, a couple musketballs, and a worn, unidentifiable copper.

Sunday morning, I had about and hour and half to kill. I had planned to hit a lot in town where they had just torn down a house, but the property owner wasn't home. Since we had some heavy thunderstorms Saturday evening, I though maybe the hay field had been softened up some. When I got to the field it was overcast and misting. I grabbed my gear out of my jeep and headed into the field. I walked out to where I wanted to start hunting, turned on my machine, and within a few feet I had a signal that was bouncing around some, but definitely good enough to investigate. I removed some dirt and the signal improved to a constant mid 70s on my F75. At this point I thought it would turn out to be another thin corroded copper. The ground in this section of the field is very rocky, almost like digging in a gravel parking lot. I finally had the target in the dirt pile beside the hole and saw it was a silver coin. I picked it up and took a look. I could see part of the date 180_, and also the bottom of the bust. I knew it wasn't bust profile of a Spanish coin. Now I'm getting excited, but I didn't want to do a field cleaning. I slipped it into a little plastic zip lock bag and put it in my finds container. Before I could fill in the hole, the heavens opened up and I had to high tail it out of the field. That was my hunt - one target, one hole dug, one silver coin in my pouch. I returned to my parents where I was staying over the weekend, and rinsed the dirt of the coin in the kitchen sink. When I saw the the Federal eagle on the back I knew for sure what I had and let out a loud, BOOM BABY!!! When I turned it over and saw the obverse, I started to cry - there was a recent scuff across the face. I thought how could I have hit this coin with my shovel? I thought I had given the target plenty of room as I dug my plug. Then I thought it might be a recent plow strike. This would be at least a $900 coin without this damage. Anyway, it's not perfect but I'm happy as heck to have dug another Draped Bust dime. I dug a 1797 two years ago.

Attachments

• 9-1-12 Dirty.jpg
    9-1-12 Dirty.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 751
  • 1803 front - dirty.jpg
    1803 front - dirty.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 702
  • 1803 back - dirty.jpg
    1803 back - dirty.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 659
  • 1761 Two Reale front.jpg
    1761 Two Reale front.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 670
  • 1761 Two Reale back.jpg
    1761 Two Reale back.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 666
  • 1761 front - clean.jpg
    1761 front - clean.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 697
  • 9-1-12 all - clean.jpg
    9-1-12 all - clean.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 696
  • 1803 Draped Bust Dime Small 8 variety.jpg
    1803 Draped Bust Dime Small 8 variety.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 693
  • 1803DPdime Steve.jpg
    1803DPdime Steve.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 5,924
  • 1803DPdimeRev Steve.jpg
    1803DPdimeRev Steve.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 5,956
Last edited:
Upvote 34

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME!!! One of my dream finds! Yours is a "Davis-3" variety. Close"03", Narrow "A's". Very Scarce. CONGRATULATIONS! Hogge

Thanks for identifying the variety. I believe I just saw your Continetal USA button in American Digger "Just Dug". I guess I will have to submit this coin to them :laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy are those a couple of great coins Steve! That bust dime is killer. Sounds like you have a quality site. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks Bill. Just read your article in American Digger today. Good job :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, congrats on some great finds. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of there. I have hunted CW sites in Tennessee since 1995 and have only dug one bust dime to show. As to the prospective undamaged value, you were going to put it in your collection even if it had been a MS-65 anyway-right? Rare find. WTG, Quindy.

Quindy, LOL, if it was MS-65 it wouldn't be in my collection, it would be in a safety deposit box :laughing7: As it is now, it's in a small riker mount display with the other coins and relics I've recovered from this site. I always keep my finds segregated by site

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for telling me about my USA Button. I'll have to order an issue! I think I'll have to vote banner on your find! It's pretty rare and valuable also! Congrats again.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ohhhh MaaaAAaaaAAaaaAnnnNNnnNnnn!!!!!! Now that is where the Colonial party starts. You are a lucky man, Steve. This one deserves to be on the Banner. I am pumped for you, Steve! Soooo, you were the one I heard that day yell, "BOOOOM, BAAABY!" :laughing7:
Kirk

Last edited:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some awesome coins you recovered! I love to imagine how life was back 200+ years ago when these coins were used. Great Job! Way To Go!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Awesome Steve!! Congrats on a stellar coin. I would give it a banner nod as well!
-Evan

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Steve!! Congrats on a stellar coin. I would give it a banner nod as well!
-Evan

Thanks Evan, I do believe this is a Banner find, but I doubt it will make it. You see a lot more GW inaugural buttons dug than draped bust silver and the GW's always make banner.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds.:icon_thumleft:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Evan, I do believe this is a Banner find, but I doubt it will make it. You see a lot more GW inaugural buttons dug than draped bust silver and the GW's always make banner.
I dug 3....and none of them made it. Why do they hate me????:laughing7:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I dug 3....and none of them made it. Why do they hate me????:laughing7:

I have dug A G W Button that did not make the banner also..... I would rather see a Draped Bust Dime up top in place of a G W Button. I think that fewer are dug/posted.

VPR

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, nice job on the colonial silvers... those are tough to come by around here. You have my vote!

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If anyone should have 'heartbreak' over this coin it should be me, as I was digging a button only 15' away from that rare dime the day before!! It's a real thrill to dig an early U.S. coin and this one deserves to be waving in the banner above.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! I think you better search it until the cows come home and the new hay comes in. Nice colonial site. That opportunity doesn't happen every day.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone should have 'heartbreak' over this coin it should be me, as I was digging a button only 15' away from that rare dime the day before!! It's a real thrill to dig an early U.S. coin and this one deserves to be waving in the banner above.

It was probably about 15 or 20 yards from where you dug that large button, but we both walked within a few feet of it on Saturday.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Steve in PA said:

It's a banner find in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread