cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! It's the most produced CC Morgan. In that condition, it's not worth much more than it's silver dollar value.....maybe $30-35? If it were mine, I'd clean it a bit and put it in the collection.

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find!
I have to disagree my fellow treasure hunters here. Maybe you guys have some great sources for coins, but fleabay is a very good indicator of what people will pay, and this coin is in better shape than ones that sold for $60-90 there this year. It just needs cleaning.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree my fellow treasure hunters here. Maybe you guys have some great sources for coins, but fleabay is a very good indicator of what people will pay, and this coin is in better shape than ones that sold for $60-90 there this year. It just needs cleaning.
and I am sure those ebay listings sell them listed as "cleaned" right? cause once you list it with out that you are either trying to pull one over on someone or you found a plain old uneducated buyer who doesn't care.

Gulf Coast Pirate

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2021
Bayport, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and I am sure those ebay listings sell them listed as "cleaned" right? cause once you list it with out that you are either trying to pull one over on someone or you found a plain old uneducated buyer who doesn't care.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a fantastic find !

I wouldn't clean it till I made 100% sure how I was going to clean it.
It's very east to damage it if you clean it the wrong way !
A local coin dealer could probably tell you what to do with it for free.
There's lots of ways to clean Silver coins without causing any damage like ...
Dipping it in MS-70 Coin Cleaner, Baking Soda with Boiling Water & Aluminum Foil, etc.

Good Luck !

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an excellent find. I would just put that coin into a 2x2 holder, label it and enjoy it. I would not clean it at all, except to water it down and get the dirt off, but that's just me. I have found 3 Morgans, and that's exactly what I did with mine. I just like to remember the coins the way they came out of the ground. I never try to polish the coin to bring the silver look out. It has that nice water look, just the way you found it.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off congrats on the silver dollar!
Something that has been on that want list for 55 yrs.

Looking at the coin it's hard to tell if it has wear.
Looking at the eagle I'd be say there is a tad.
No matter how much or little a person does to the coin, it will have environmental damage.
To a collector it would be worth silver value, and a tad more as a filler because of the CC.

It's all your's and you can do as you like with the coin, that is for sure.
Best of luck with your decision.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's see it after the cleaning before making that judgement. I seriously doubt it will grade better than VG.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it will end up being anywhere near as nice as the one that sold on E-bay. Condition is everything when it comes to price. Let's see it cleaned up before making that determination though......

OP
OP
G

geolitjon

Mar 5, 2023
Thanks all. I'm thrilled just for finding it. I think I'll keep it and not sell. I also think I won't clean it. I agree. The patina is part of the story. I just started MD'ing actively about six months ago, but have since found about a half-dozen mercs, a gold class ring, a silver Washington quarter, two IHPs, four Rosies, and a ton of neat old relics. Thanks all - I really am digging (litterally, lol) this hobby. Almost paid for my detector with my finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread