What's new

✅ SOLVED A "why" Pottery Shard....?

curious kat

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2013
Messages
2,302
Reaction score
2,824
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....am wondering why they made them like this....seems it would hurt carrying? Guess they were easier to "not" drop...but "ouch"....:) DSCN4901.webpDSCN4902.webp
 
Upvote 0
...yes...think you guys are on to something to! I did see a program a while back about the "Mound builders" down south...think you're right rock! Very exciting to think it may be that old! Thank you everyone for all the help! :notworthy:
 
...only one I could find so far with those "points" on it.....it's Mayan...82-434MayaIncenseJaguar.webp
 
Hi cat, you sure this is not a fossil or dinosaur bone?
 
very cool! With all the pottery found, there isn't many like this example? wouldn't that make it maybe quite a bit older? I expected there to be many examples of like Rginn said, to make it easier to hold on to, but so far not many people are posting examples they have found that look like this one. Mayan connection would be great! nice find hubby of kat.
 
Yes I agree it is a very cool piece and rebels is very similar !!!!
 
....maybe fossil Golden Sluice? That's what Gator Boy said & to post on "fossil" page....haven't yet maybe will to see what they say. Hi naturegirl :)....yeah, I was expecting more to post others like it to, maybe will? It could very well have been Mayan that was traded or something....and "hubby of kat" says "thanks"...lol And...thanxs Painter :)
 
I know I havent found any like it. I will be on the lookout for some though.
 
....thank you rock...keep warm & safe...:)
 
Kat, check out all the photos of this recently finished auction. The seller is reputable, so this is a real vessel:

Hohokam Pottery Sacaton Red on Buff Seedpod Effigy Prehistoric Anasazi | eBay

The seller supplies a link to his virtual SW pottery museum(highly recommended, BTW), where you can scroll down and see the same vessel as the one being sold. There, you find the following description:

".....It has been written that these knobbed vessels may represent Datura seed pods, a plant that contained medicinal and hallucinogenic properties. I propose another possibility, the red fruit of the prickly pear cactus. The meat of this fruit is wonderfully sweet and delicious, it can be dried, and it was likely that the Native Americans anxiously awaited the annual harvest of these sugary treats. Prickly Pear Cactus today grow in abundance in areas of the southwest and the fruit is made into jellies and candies."

I'll take you right to the description page. You'll find the vessel way down this page, just a tiny photo there. Think it's a very good chance you found something along these lines. Does not have to be Hohokam, probably a shared design, but I'm not certain. Hohokam ware would have been traded far and wide anyway...

http://www.rarepottery.info/protect/hohokamsacaton.htm

Here ya go, straight to this page gives you a good idea. You may have some version of this SW style. I knew I had seen it before, just didn't know where. That is a great site for SW pottery photos and ID.

http://www.rarepottery.info/protect/hohokamvariantsacatonredonbuff.htm

i stumbled across this completely by chance a little while ago, checking completed Hohokam auctions on eBay as I buy some from time to time.

Of all the SW cultures, the Hohokam felt the most influence from the Mesoamerican civilizations to their south, particularly western Mexico, as opposed to the Maya. But this design is not necessarily borrowed from the south, I don't know the answer to that. But this type of seed pod effigy is an interesting possible answer to your puzzle sherd.
 
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
....Yes Charl...think you have solved it! :icon_thumleft: Thanks so much for doing all that research, you're awesome! This area has had so much NA activity, it's hard to know who did what. Now if only I can figure out how to do the "solved" thing for this....lol Thanks again :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom