What's new

✅ SOLVED A "why" Pottery Shard....?

curious kat

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2013
Messages
2,302
Reaction score
2,824
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....am wondering why they made them like this....seems it would hurt carrying? Guess they were easier to "not" drop...but "ouch"....:) DSCN4901.webpDSCN4902.webp
 
Upvote 0
Did you find it out in the open? (Surface Find)
 
Last edited:
...welcome GatorBoy....you're right about it being different, haven't found any other pieces like it. But it was found where all the other one's I've posted were found...on our property here in SW NM. Although the back side of it does pretty much look like the other pottery shards backs. The only other shards that look close are the textured ones...but still very different. So.....?
 
I'm speaking about the material itself not how its shaped or anything.... looking closely at it does it look like it's made from the same material as the others?
 
Last edited:
Trying to remember old digger.....think hubby uncovered it, I didn't find on top as far as I can remember, it was a few years back.
 
This is a piece of sedimentary material picked up in the Grand Canyon showing trace fossils

ForumRunner_20140127_222308.webp
 
...yes Gator Boy, I do mean the material, it does seem different...courser. And seems like it might have been formed with someone's fingers maybe.
 
Is that fossil piece flat on the back? My "thing" is flat just like the other pottery shards.
 
Maybe try posting it in the fossil forum and see what happens.
Yes many of them are flat on one side because they came apart at a natural separation in the sediment layer.
I'm completely out of guesses.
Good luck it's an interesting piece that's for sure.
I know I'm hard headed I don't mean to be a pain
 
Here is a similar piece of pottery that I found in Lee County Georgia in the creek about two years ago. It was found with other pieces of pottery but this is the only one that I found that looks like this. I wondered too what it went to. No doubt that it is pottery and not bone.
 

Attachments

  • Pottery (1).webp
    Pottery (1).webp
    19.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Pottery.webp
    Pottery.webp
    12.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Pottery (2).webp
    Pottery (2).webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Back.webp
    Back.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 97
Dang rebel it looks just like it.
 
...OMG GaRebel...that does look exactly like it, only yours looks a little "neater" done & maybe smaller? Thank you so much for posting it, now if only we could see a picture of a "whole" whatever it was! Keep me informed if you find out anything & I'll do the same. :)
 
Must of been on the side of a pot for decoration purposes. Those examples sure are neat.
 
Wow the similarity is pretty amazing - from GA to NM... Go figure...
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 94
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Mayan incensario and fragment....
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 94
what was it used for Charl? Looks almost like a wrist band

No, it's a small vessel. Not sure, but an incensor is for burning incense in the case of the Mayan examples.
 
You've been doing your research Charl :icon_thumleft:...thanks for posting the pictures! That Mayan incense one looks pretty close and they probably did come up this way....way,way back...lol And thanks rock & ncuke for your interest & observations...:)
 
Hey Kat if I remember correctly and I could be wrong on this (just in case). I do believe it was thought the Mound builders actually came from Mexico and landed in the Georgia area. Which if it is true that type of pottery you have found could be very old. It is a neat piece.
 
No, it's a small vessel. Not sure, but an incensor is for burning incense in the case of the Mayan examples.
Interesting.
<------ It was found within a few feet of another item I posted a while back that had comments that it was Mayan related.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom