What's new

🥇 BANNER Amazing Coin Spill, Find of a lifetime for me!

49r Relics

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2008
Messages
789
Reaction score
686
Golden Thread
2
Location
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after 35 years of detecting I had the find of a lifetime. I was doing some research in the state library and came across an old hand drawn map of an area I have never researched before but the cartographer indicated where houses and cabins were and the map was dated 1851 (that's early for California) there were lines which after research I figured out were early Township lines, I was able to match them up to Google Earth and found 22 new sites. After 4 months of trying we finally got permission to hunt 2 of the sites and another 2 are on public land.

So the California Relic Adventures crew headed out to the first site of the four, me Ron Swenson (Ron CA) and Andrew Savich (Mr.Merc) were working around the iron and Andrew called us over with a nice find! We didn't get that dig on video but everything that happened after that we did film. An epic hunt. After Andrew cleaned out his area, we all spread out and walked different directions. I walked about 50' away and hit a high conductor target, what came after that was all caught live on video.

7 days later at the second site (from that map) I made another discovery of a lifetime. I will make a separate post for that find but that map has so far turned out to be a real treasure map! We are all still absolutely floored by these 2 hunts.

Here is the video


20141110_150353.webp

2014-11-14 03.16.53.webp

20141112_202149.webp

1889 Double Eagle.webp

1889 Double Eagle - Reverse.webp
 
Last edited:
holy moly!!!!! what a blood pumping video I wanted to scream right along with you guys. if anyone ever asks why I md I am going to show them your video. and to think there could be more a little deeper. I'd be sifting that area for sure; remember the gold coins found in those rusty cans a few months back.
 
I normally don't watch a video that long, but you guys sure made a spell-binding one!! I had to watch the whole thing. What a night!! Congratulations!!
 
I know the gold is more noteworthy but I for one would love to see the condition of those Barbers!! Can we get some pics??
 
GREAT JOB!!!!! Amazing video along with the finds. There would have had to be a LOT of editing if I was in the video. Congrats guys...!!!!!!!!! :occasion14:
 
congrats on the excellent saves....
 
Wow!
That must have been right between the saloon and the brothel. LOL
I can picture someone drunk attempting to get his money out for stop #2 and dropping his coins all over the ground.
 
That's totally unreal! I hope you go back with something like a GPX and get the real deep ones!
 
Congrats on an amazing find! Brothel? Saloon? Hotel? So many questions on how they were dropped, but what an amazing story of finding them on video!! This banner post will be talked about for a long time! You got me pumped!!
 
That is insane.... Congrats!
 
3 Gold Coin!!!!! Big congrats.

You say that you got permission on private land, does your agreement include that you keep everthing you find? Do you show these coins to the owner?
 
I've been lurking around this forum and enjoying the posts for years, but this exceptional recovery has prompted me to sign up and congratulate you all.
great video of the discovery, I know how it feels to find gold and your video captured that feeling perfectly.
As has already been said it's all about the research you got to make your own luck.
Good luck and happy hunting.
George.
 
Last edited:
I think they were originally placed deliberately much closer together, and then later dispersed.
Is it possible that at some point the location was filled in, possibly to create a level pad?
It seems that particular soil is not too difficult to excavate. Is that consistent with that particular locale?

The soil may at one time have been disturbed and spread, which in that case the coins may very well be fanning out from the source, which may be significant and in relative close proximaty
 
Last edited:
Absolutely incredible finds and video. I shared your excitement while watching, like I was there with you guys. Congratulations on a fabulous find...........Rich
 
Now after I have changed my shorts several times, had a freaking heart valve replacement, eyes bulging till they both need replaced and woke up after my face hit the floor! I guess I would say BANNER but I knocked my teeth out on the coffee table and the computer. Holy smokes guys that is one (two) heck of a find. Research pays off and we will see this in This Years Best Finds issue for sure. High fives all around guys, Congrats! jgas
 
Congratulations guys! Great hunt and a great video!
 
Go ahead and add a rainbows end to a copy of that map.
Stunning hunt guys,thanks for sharing it.
Pity the next person that asks if you ever find anything valuable.:laughing7:
I'm still itchin from watchin...

Congrats!
 
I take pleasure knowing that somewhere, there is a treasure hunter jumping up and down with joy, whether we get to hear about it or not!!!
 
Like you said, that's why we metal detect for the possibility of a situation like that! It's the thrill of the hunt baby!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom