And So It Begins....3 Copper Spill(2 Draped and a Toasty One) Designed Tombac

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finished up a job yesterday so I could try my luck today. There's still a ton of snow in the woods and was very hard going. I basically only had a couple sites that I though may be huntable. I went to the last site that I hunted in the beginning of January. No written history about this place but obviously there was something there. I could only hunt a small portion of the site as 80% is buried in snow. It started slow and I really expected nothing but eventually I got a nice mid 80s hit at 7" and pulled a large copper. Then I got a similar signal about 18" away and pulled two more large coppers. Then I got a fairly low number and dug a Tombac button. Anybody that doesn't dig those lower numbers is missing out. I love these designed tombacs.
I was absolutely dying by the end of this hunt. Walking through the deep snow is rough. My iPhone has an app on it that tells how far you walk and I trekked over 6 miles. I am beat and need to get into detecting condition.
So two of the coppers were Draped Busts. A 1798 which is cool because it's a date I haven't found before. The other I believe is 1802 or 1803. I've got them in mineral oil and have little faith in them but we shall see. I was happy just to get a date. Felt so damn good to get back out there and so happy that I actually found a few keepers. Good luck out there everybody.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 23
Heck of a way to get started Abe!, only a matter of time before all that ugly white stuff is gone!

Awesome finds!

Hard hunting huh??
Well like I've said before, you deserve great finds!!
If I have to walk farther then a half of block from my truck thats far..lol.
Nice way to start. I love that button!!
Oh and i think that coin is 1998, not 1798!!!

That's a great start to the season buddy, and I'm sure that site will have plenty more to give up after the snow's gone. And once you can get into many of those sites you've researched the sky's the limit. I have a feeling this will be an incredible year for you, and I'll be following it closely.

Excellent finds Ahab. I believe you have found an excellent place to hunt

What a nice way to start the season. Sounds like a promising area. Best of luck when the snow melts.

Hard hunting huh?? Well like I've said before, you deserve great finds!! If I have to walk farther then a half of block from my truck thats far..lol. Nice way to start. I love that button!! Oh and i think that coin is 1998, not 1798!!!

Great hunt Abe. Glad to see you scored big chunky coppers! That 1798 is especially a nice find. 1700's coppers just give ya a different feeling...

Vino can't walk from the truck without coughing up a lung from those cancer sticks. That lucky ******* smokes one every time he finds something good, so he smokes about 300 per hunt.

Anyway Abe, glad to see you're finding things with the T2. Give me a shout when you need someone to pull the deep silver in that spot! Lol

You got off on the right foot. You made some decent finds!
Relic hunters will be glad to know you don't walk away from those lower tones, you're missing a lot of great finds not digging them; that is why I disregard numerical vdi numbers and hunt by sound alone.
All repeatable sounds are good!

Keep it up, you're in for a great season!

Great way to start the season. Nice finds Abe.

Great hunt Abe. Glad to see you scored big chunky coppers! That 1798 is especially a nice find. 1700's coppers just give ya a different feeling...

Vino can't walk from the truck without coughing up a lung from those cancer sticks. That lucky ******* smokes one every time he finds something good, so he smokes about 300 per hunt.

Anyway Abe, glad to see you're finding things with the T2. Give me a shout when you need someone to pull the deep silver in that spot! Lol

Lol. Ya know I'm not so sure that super expensive machine is capable of finding OLD silvers. The true colonial hunters know the secret to finding the OLD silvers. They call them T2s and F75s lol. Vino was just giving me a hard time about my cheap "toy" (T2 SE). Then I asked what the oldest coin is that he found with those million dollar machines? Let's just say my toy got back to 1652 and 1664. You fellas let me know when you get into that neighborhood :laughing7: I spend mercs and barbers at the grocery store. No use for those "new" coins. Btw I already pulled the deep silver from this spot, 1772 half real and 1802 real. Go tuck in your CTX bud. My T2 is training in the basement. Rocky style lol

Now that's my kind of finds! Nice going. Nothing like a couple of draped bust LC's to make your day. Nice finds.

Lol. Ya know I'm not so sure that super expensive machine is capable of finding OLD silvers. The true colonial hunters know the secret to finding the OLD silvers. They call them T2s and F75s lol. Vino was just giving me a hard time about my cheap "toy" (T2 SE). Then I asked what the oldest coin is that he found with those million dollar machines? Let's just say my toy got back to 1652 and 1664. You fellas let me know when you get into that neighborhood :laughing7: I spend mercs and barbers at the grocery store. No use for those "new" coins. Btw I already pulled the deep silver from this spot, 1772 half real and 1802 real. Go tuck in your CTX bud. My T2 is training in the basement. Rocky style lol

Mines bigger! , no mines bigger, lol settle down fellas lol

Mines bigger! , no mines bigger, lol settle down fellas lol

They can have the "mines more expensive trophy"! I'll just hold onto the "mine finds the oldest stuff trophy" lol.
All in good fun. Scrap and Vino are absolutely killing it and their totals blow mine away. I will maybe have 18 silvers this season. Scraps got 53 or something already. But if George calls my T2 a toy one more time I'm gonna take my big massive hand and give him a purple nurple....or a nuclear noogie....or an atomic wedgie :-)

They can have the "mines more expensive trophy"! I'll just hold onto the "mine finds the oldest stuff trophy" lol.
All in good fun. Scrap and Vino are absolutely killing it and their totals blow mine away. I will maybe have 18 silvers this season. Scraps got 53 or something already. But if George calls my T2 a toy one more time I'm gonna take my big massive hand and give him a purple nurple....or a nuclear noogie....or an atomic wedgie :-)

yeah I agree, those two are tearing it up, but ask em, "wheres your pine tree" lol!!!

I bow my head in shame as my oldest coin is only 1794???

yeah I agree, those two are tearing it up, but ask em, "wheres your pine tree" lol!!!

I won't say I have 2 older than 1794, cause that would just be mean, wouldn't it?

Thats not true. .
You have a sanded KG, thats probably 1740s..
It does count!!!

Well you can only find what your area has. Most people to realize that the Popham Colony was established in 1607 about 18 minutes from me. The 17th century history in my area is staggering. You'd be shocked at how many sites there are that date to the 1600s. Basically Popham and Jamestown were settled at the same time. The Popham colony dispersed after they realized how harsh the winters are here. There were also some temporary European fishing settlement on some of the local islands that stretch back to the 1500s.
Btw bud 1794 is damn old. Anything that predates this country is killer. It's a very small percentage of treasure hunters who ever get to pull a 1700s coin from the dirt. I truly hope you find a 1600s coin one day. It's a pretty cool feeling

I won't say I have 2 older than 1794, cause that would just be mean, wouldn't it?

Lol nope.... That would just be AWESOME! Lol what's your oldest OD?

A young head KG2. Next is an old head KG2. Cjon has me beat in oldest silver by 20 years though, lol.

Dang Abe ! Two Draped Cents !! I'll be jacked when I finally find an Indian Head Cent !!! Nice job Amigo !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back