Apple Island

KneeDeep31

Aug 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously cant believe I cant find anything about this. So this is for you Michiganders

Ive found this story in a few places but heres where I got it https://dailyoddsandends.wordpress.com/2012/09/28/michigan-treasure-legends/ and this one is my favorite

One of the most blood-thirsty Indians in American history was an Ottawa named Chief Pontiac. He always returned to Acole Island in Orchard Lake, in what is now Oakland County, Michigan, after a raid or foray into English territory. Local legend has told for years that Pontiac buried a fortune in booty he obtained in raids against the white settlers in Pennsylvania and Virginia on this island. This is highly possible, since Pontiac learned early in life of the white man’s greed for gold and silver.

His orders to his warriors were always the same during a raid, “Take what you want, burn everything else and kill the prisoners.” Since Pontiac made dozens of raids during his war on the whites, called Pontiac’s Uprising, it is probably that he buried a large quantity of loot on Acole Island.

I will add that the island is now called "Apple Island"

I will add that this island is protected but, its in a public lake. For the most part, Indians didnt have much use for things like coins, gold or silver. So if these raids WHERE carried out and the booty was transported to this island, then I would think it possible that artifacts might be in that lake if things where tossed away like garbage.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wow! There is a lot of treasure in Michigan. Thanks for the link.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread