Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chainbreaker said:
I found the patent for this watch protector if anyone is interested, number 1450848:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=N4...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA

When I first saw this thing I thought it was supposed to prick the fingers of pickpockets but the patent says that the spikes are supposed to catch in the fabric of the pocket, as someone here already stated.
Very old post. Nice research on the patent. This puts a date on it.

Im reposting your patent find here for future record and easier viewing.

brass acorn patent.jpg
brass acorn patent2.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Necro Thread Diggin' for Mike :)

Sure, that is what it was 'originally' designed for. But, do you know why there are so few to be found anymore?

People started to use them as retribution devices. Plated them in gold and hung them like a charm on their Pandora bracelets occupied by real valuables.

They coated the spikes with poisons or what not and dangled them from a longer attachment than the expensive goods. They flash their nuts around in everybody's faces with reckless abandon until the vic grabs the nut.

Game over.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And this thread still hasn't been 'locked'? Gee, we might get some more replies to it! I'd certainly like to have one of the acorns. 'Course it would probably cost more than I'd be willing to pay.

Upvote 0

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Okay so please spare me the grizzly task of reading all the replies.what is this thang in a nutshell? I found something very much like it over the Summer.

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Okay so please spare me the grizzly task of reading all the replies.what is this thang in a nutshell? I found something very much like it over the Summer.
Its a late 19th Century device designed to stop the owners watch being taken from his pocket. Small silver acorn shaped linked with three concealed prongs. When pulled the prongs extend to catch in the fabric of the pocket (or make it hard to pull from pocket)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread