British gold soveriegns

Kushiele_FL

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to find out some values for some old british 22k gold sovereigns. I have 15 loose sovereigns varying in date from 1899 to 1973, and 2 set in 9k gold cufflinks (coins were not damaged). All are in good shape and I'm trying to find out if their best value is to be sold for melt-down gold, or if the coins are worth more as coins. I can't find any places near where I live that deal in anything but american coins. Any help would be appreciated! (I can provide links to coins similar to what I have, but my digital camera is out of operation atm so I can't post my own coins.)

OP
OP
K

Kushiele_FL

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did that. Some are listed on there for 3 to 500 dollars. I also sent a list of the coins and their conditions in to an auction site and they said that the coins were probably only worth the melt value (even tho similar coins on their own site had sold for 1800 bucks to collectors.) I'm just trying to get second opinions. :)

OP
OP
K

Kushiele_FL

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1899B.jpg 1899F.jpg
Here is the only pics I have available of the 1899 Queen Victoria Gold sovereign. 22k gold, .23 troy ounce. My neighbor hates technology and we're in an area where there are not many folks we can trust. So... I don't want to borrow anyone's stuff LOL I will get them as I can.

Attachments

• 1899F.jpg
    1899F.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
As a coin you know what it is worth. Melt it down and you got what?? When I got married my wife’s kids had a bunch of old coins. One looked different than the rest. Coin dealer said it was a British Sovereign. Worth about the price of 1/4 oz gold price. I got a 14k band around it and a gold chain and my wife loves it as a valuable pice of jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread