colonial gold. finally ( Warning Member may have Lied)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klclark3

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300, AT GOLD, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140313_191859.png
    ForumRunner_20140313_191859.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,535
  • ForumRunner_20140313_191908.png
    ForumRunner_20140313_191908.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,415
Upvote 67

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find.. where abouts in KY are you? Hard to believe that was found around there, but awesome none the less!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an amazing and rare find for being found in Kentucky! Also, congrats on the well deserved Banner! If found in New England or Western Europe is very understandable but to be found in Kentucky, is rare indeed. It must have belonged to someone of importance and high stature as it is doubtful that mere Pioneers and Farmers lost the coin. It makes one wonder, "what the person was doing so far from the East Coast of the United States?", "did they travel over land or by boat down the Ohio River?", "who were they?", "were they there to purchase land?", "were they there to purchase items from Daniel Boone?" and many other thoughts come to mind.

Frank

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, of course!

As to the whys and wherefores of finding such a coin in such a place; we tend to assume that coins such as this are dropped the same year they're dated. ;) Makes for some delicious and romanticized theories of whom might have dropped it way back in that time. :)

AND, any of the theories could be true. But, it's also possible that it was a lucky coin, heirloom, etc. Passed down through years of family only to be dropped whilst out walking the dog. ;) Or, maybe, Lil Junior the 14th, lost it on the way to school and "Show & Tell".(after pilfering from great grandpa's pocket) LOL

In ANY case, congratulations are well deserved for the luck to be in the right place at the right time. Anyone could have been the one to find it, glad it was found!

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, congrats on the banner. I too am interested to know what part of KY you live in. I have family all around the state, and there is nowhere that I would expect that amazing piece to come out of the ground!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats!:hello2::hello2::hello2:

Not just a gold coin but a colonial gold coin....Fantastic!

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not to question any one here but I would think that coin wouyld be worth 600-900 just in gold value, then you add the historical significance to it as well as the rarity(?) i would think it would be worth much much more!!!!!!!!! If you plan on selling get it appraised by a trustworthy coin person. GREATTTTT FIND HH

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was bouncing around on my ace 250 from silver to bronze and gold, so figuring it was junk or a broken pewter spoon, I got out the discovery 3300 to check the area and it came up mid 60's.

He found it with the Ace 250 and confirmed the signal with the Discovery 3300! Take that, XP Deus! Proves without a doubt that you don't need to spend two grand to find the good stuff. Congratulations!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, of course! As to the whys and wherefores of finding such a coin in such a place; we tend to assume that coins such as this are dropped the same year they're dated. ;) Makes for some delicious and romanticized theories of whom might have dropped it way back in that time. :) AND, any of the theories could be true. But, it's also possible that it was a lucky coin, heirloom, etc. Passed down through years of family only to be dropped whilst out walking the dog. ;) Or, maybe, Lil Junior the 14th, lost it on the way to school and "Show & Tell".(after pilfering from great grandpa's pocket) LOL In ANY case, congratulations are well deserved for the luck to be in the right place at the right time. Anyone could have been the one to find it, glad it was found!

All good points. I also wonder if the coin could have been intentionally buried for safe-keeping, and yet no one came back for it. For a lost coin, it just seems odd that the coin (in pristine condition) would be found directly under a layer of stone. I would love to hear how large/old the tree is that was next to the find. That might be part of the mystery too.

Congrats on the banner and the inspiring find.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep in the ground was the coin? Was it lying flat or on edge? Details, we need details!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a really awesome find, what a beautiful gold coin!l
Congrats on getting banner!,
I disappear for a while and you guys go wild finding all the good stuff!!!!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That right there is one of the prettiest gold coins i've ever seen. congratulations to you on a great find and a well deserved banner spot!!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! You're on a roll! Congrats on the banner, that's a beautiful coin!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, of course! As to the whys and wherefores of finding such a coin in such a place; we tend to assume that coins such as this are dropped the same year they're dated. ;) Makes for some delicious and romanticized theories of whom might have dropped it way back in that time. :) AND, any of the theories could be true. But, it's also possible that it was a lucky coin, heirloom, etc. Passed down through years of family only to be dropped whilst out walking the dog. ;) Or, maybe, Lil Junior the 14th, lost it on the way to school and "Show & Tell".(after pilfering from great grandpa's pocket) LOL In ANY case, congratulations are well deserved for the luck to be in the right place at the right time. Anyone could have been the one to find it, glad it was found!
You make some good points. You see Morgan dollars found in the wood chips at tot lots...would be nice to know how it got there...awesome find no matter where it came from.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like 1759 - on obverse at top. If it's the size of a quarter and just over 8 grams it's a full guinea. Excellent job. I found one a year ago on a beach. First and last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread