What's new

Found 2 arrowheads!

puckhunter84

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2013
Messages
35
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
Gwinnett County, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 2 arrowheads last week around lake Lanier! And the other 1 I have had for a while! But I was walking along the beaches in a bunch of rocky areas and found 1 and the other one was found in a different location of the lake! But I was extremely excited they are best finds I have found as far as arrowheads!! I just figured I would share!!!! It's the first one and the middle one are the ones I found I think the third was a gift years ago!!!!!


image-3212774388.webp
 
Upvote 0
Those are really cool finds Puck. Lake Lanier nearly went just about bone dry during the drought with Atlanta pulling off of it. When the lake was down that low there must have been some really good finds made there. I know that I would have been hunting it hard if I lived closer. I drove past it several times but never had the chance to hunt that area.
 
Man NC I love all the natural shades of tan, grey and brown in that collection. It is very pleasing to the eye.

Thanks bro. I wanted a pic. Of the savannah river alone, but must have deleted it. When I get in I'm going to position my point on my hand, as the poster here has done. Divide by two and we can see savannah river point is largest. The divide by two is because I have small hands. I wish I had those cigar fingers like Larson's but I don't.
 
Those are really cool finds Puck. Lake Lanier nearly went just about bone dry during the drought with Atlanta pulling off of it. When the lake was down that low there must have been some really good finds made there. I know that I would have been hunting it hard if I lived closer. I drove past it several times but never had the chance to hunt that area.

That didn't happen this summer, did it? I thought the whole south was free of the water deficit. You did say Atlanta pulled from it. I guess Atlanta could dang near dry the great 7 seas. Lol!
 
Oh yeah thank you yeah I am getting him into the outdoors that's for sure I am a big bass fisherman he already loves it and has already caught a couple nice fish!!

If you ever come around lake Altoona let me know Ill show you how to fish it. Locals call it the dead sea. I call it bass on!
 
Lanier powers to Atlanta, Alabama, I think some of tn and maybe sc and maybe some of Florida for certain but I know Atlanta and Alabama, and parts of tn!! If the dam broke Atlanta wouldn't be there and some areas around!!!
 
Nice Finds! Looks like water erosion did a number to them.
 
Puck, just for poops and giggles I scaled my savannah river point like you did. They look pretty close in size to me. Check it out.

image-1894549420.webp



image-3203779308.webp



image-815800430.webp
 
Dang they do look really similar in style, shape, and size!! Yours looks really great!!!
 
Dang they do look really similar in style, shape, and size!! Yours looks really great!!!

Thanks. Yours is a really nice find as well. I have had this one for some time. As a kid, hunting with my dad, I can remember finding points this size almost every trip out to the field. Now, to find a small point, undamaged, is a good day out. I need to clean my storage shed out. That's where all of Pop's and my old finds have been stashed. After years of hunting artifacts, finding safe storage for them becomes a challenge. Keep up the great post!!
 
Your welcome as a kid my dads best friend used to go all the time and he had a shop about 10 x 20 maybe bigger slap full of cases display racks counters slap full of arrowheads all kinds of artifacts well over thousands of dollars worth and him and his wife got a divorce and she wouldn't let him have none of it and she sold them to people not knowing what they were worth!! It made all of us sick!
 
I have fished Lanier in several tournaments. Neat lake. It if full this year? Last year it was way low. You are finding some nice points there. That was my problem tournament fishing. I was always jumping out of the boat onto the shore.
Welcome to t-net.


hey welcome to the tnet site

being a fisherman all my life have heard good things about the lake lanier fishery....a bass lake mainly?


you have a start to a nice collection...unless you sell that one for a 100 bucks...that seems like a generous offer...although i have never sold any artifacts

steve
 
Hey thank you Steve!! Yeah it a big striper and bass lake there's alot of catfish in it as well back in the 70's they reported seeing a catfish in the lake around the dam the size of a Volkswagen beetle!! But yeah I just couldn't see selling the arrowhead at the time, I wouldn't even know how/where to price something like that!! It's just of 2 much value to me maybe later on but right now I just like hunting/collecting, mainly to start my little boy off at a young early age as my dad and his best friend did me and my 3 brothers!!
And thank everybody for the warm welcomes if anybody is ever in the Buford/ Gwinnett county areas and you got time to kill let me know!!!!
 
Hey thank you Steve!! Yeah it a big striper and bass lake there's alot of catfish in it as well back in the 70's they reported seeing a catfish in the lake around the dam the size of a Volkswagen beetle!! But yeah I just couldn't see selling the arrowhead at the time, I wouldn't even know how/where to price something like that!! It's just of 2 much value to me maybe later on but right now I just like hunting/collecting, mainly to start my little boy off at a young early age as my dad and his best friend did me and my 3 brothers!!
And thank everybody for the warm welcomes if anybody is ever in the Buford/ Gwinnett county areas and you got time to kill let me know!!!!

I fish for large mouth. I fish Buggs Island better known as Kerr Lake. Your story about the cat fish at the dam reminded me of a funny thing. My whole life I heard a story about a plane going down near the dam of Buggs Island. Divers went down to recover wreckage and came up refusing to go back down. They claimed cat fish big enough to eat them were down in the deep. I told that as the gospel, just as I had heard it until I started fishing Santee Cooper. I fished down there on weekends for two years. I wasn't there long at all before I heard the same cat fish story. Word for word, exact story. I'm sure big cats are in all these lakes. Not sure about planes and divers though. Three summers back, the world record blue cat was caught at Buggs Island. The fish is up, I don't know about the plane. Off track, my bad!!
 
Hey that was a good story yeah in lake Lanier there is a whole city underneath so there ain't no telling what you'll find under that lake!! But you mentioned santee cooper is that in South Carolina? Bc I have a friend that lives out in Mississippi now that's where his family is from I think!!!
 
Hey that was a good story yeah in lake Lanier there is a whole city underneath so there ain't no telling what you'll find under that lake!! But you mentioned santee cooper is that in South Carolina? Bc I have a friend that lives out in Mississippi now that's where his family is from I think!!!

Yes sir, Santee is in South Carolina. I love that lake. It has so much structure, visible structure at that. Every cast looks like the honey hole. Fishing is another passion of mine. I'd better go on the BBC forum for that chat! Lol!!
 
What do y'all think about these rocks I found weekend before last up in the north Georgia mountains? Can anybody help identify them, I know a couple maybe quartz but not sure!!!

image-121840285.webp
 

Attachments

  • image-1931570274.webp
    image-1931570274.webp
    68.3 KB · Views: 97
  • image-3150314226.webp
    image-3150314226.webp
    97.7 KB · Views: 105
  • image-4200230860.webp
    image-4200230860.webp
    135 KB · Views: 100
  • image-451480568.webp
    image-451480568.webp
    84.6 KB · Views: 104
quartz and jasper on most of it. There is a rock forum here but not in the artifact forum.
 
I posted it there but nobody has said anything on it yet! But thanks rock!!!
 
I posted it there but nobody has said anything on it yet! But thanks rock!!!

Yeah kinda slow at times in that forum. I believe most are off on the weekends that do the I.D.s in there. But they do have some good people that know the different types of rock. Some Geologist actually go to that forum.
 
Nice quartz crystal. The others are cool. That's all i can tell you. GA. Has some cool lithic!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom