What's new

Found a Severed Head Yesterday--and Need Help

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,


I found this brass head yesterday. It measures 2 1/2 inches tall and 1 1/2 inches wide at the base. I think it is a famous person, but I would like to withold my guess of who it is and see if anyone comes to the same conclusion. The biggest question is: What is it? But to figure that out, we have to come to a definitive conclusion about who exactly it represents. Photos of front and back appear below--and thank you for your help.

-Buckles


Finds 005.webp


Finds 007.webp
 
Kind of looks like Grover Cleveland to me.
 
Upvote 0
After I saw the prior post I looked at pics of Cleveland and that could very well be it. My first thought was Taft but I don't know...

Taft

william-taft-postcard-h0778.jpg


Cleveland

GCleveland.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Not sure but here is a campaign token I found a few years back for comparison.
Cool find regardless of who it is, but hope for a positive ID.
Don
 

Attachments

  • Grover Cleveland.webp
    Grover Cleveland.webp
    56.1 KB · Views: 797
Upvote 0
looking at those pics I posted I think it is closer to Cleveland.
 
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
looking at those pics I posted I think it is closer to Cleveland.

Agree. Taft's moustache had "handle bars". BB's head does not.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Well--from the first reply you folks had guessed who I thought it was. I have looked through Cleveland's campaign memorabilia most of last night and couldn't find anything that resembled this item. Interesting thought on Taft. There is a double chin on the head--but Cleveland has some bags himself too. :D

Any ideas what this piece was? It is too flimsy for a cape pin and too large for a token or medal. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
j.n. said:
I looks like Teddy Roosevelt to me.

j.n.
Could be....can't find a side profile of the Great man, but this one does look a bit like BBs find :dontknow:

SS
 

Attachments

  • 633862541372684845-president-theodore-roosevelt.webp
    633862541372684845-president-theodore-roosevelt.webp
    85.9 KB · Views: 706
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Well--from the first reply you folks had guessed who I thought it was. I have looked through Cleveland's campaign memorabilia most of last night and couldn't find anything that resembled this item. Interesting thought on Taft. There is a double chin on the head--but Cleveland has some bags himself too. :D

Any ideas what this piece was? It is too flimsy for a cape pin and too large for a token or medal. :dontknow:
I don't think it is too large for a medal or a pin. It could be inaugural memorabilia.

It looks like an older, fatter Cleveland. Maybe the 1892 campaign or 1893 inauguration.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
j.n. said:
I looks like Teddy Roosevelt to me.

j.n.
Could be....can't find a side profile of the Great man, but this one does look a bit like BBs find :dontknow:

SS

Im sticking more to Cleveland, the style of the suit he is wearing is of that era, whereas Teddy is a modern day tie man. :D

Don
 
Upvote 0
DCMatt said:
BuckleBoy said:
Well--from the first reply you folks had guessed who I thought it was. I have looked through Cleveland's campaign memorabilia most of last night and couldn't find anything that resembled this item. Interesting thought on Taft. There is a double chin on the head--but Cleveland has some bags himself too. :D

Any ideas what this piece was? It is too flimsy for a cape pin and too large for a token or medal. :dontknow:
I don't think it is too large for a medal or a pin. It could be inaugural memorabilia.

It looks like an older, fatter Cleveland. Maybe the 1892 campaign or 1893 inauguration.

DCMatt

I'm going to keep looking in this direction. That's a good thought about the 1892-93 era. That date is not too late for this site, but it is getting close. I don't think the site was occupied much after 1900 if at all.

Are there any campaign medals or pins of this size?
 
Upvote 0
The clothes look like Cleveland, and the face like Teddy R. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Are there any campaign medals or pins of this size?

The photo on this one is 2 x 2.75. This is an 1892 Cleveland medal.

001_big.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
My first thought was Cleveland and I think I'll stick to that. After seeing the pictures, the find matches Cleveland's ears and slope of his nose, and I may be mistaken but I believe T.R.'s cheeks are lots puffier. Great find, BB! :thumbsup: Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard
 
Upvote 0
Could be Cleveland - could be Roosevelt. I lean towards Roosevelt, just because Roosevelt was infamous for those glasses, but not Cleveland.

B
 
Upvote 0
Dear group;
The caricature can't be Teddy Roosevelt because it doesn't look ANYTHING like Robin Williams...
Your friend;
LAMAR
 
Upvote 0
Check out these profiles: Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Teddy.webp
    Teddy.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 600
  • Grover.webp
    Grover.webp
    37 KB · Views: 605
Upvote 0
It's a neat find BB :icon_thumright:

Could it be a tie slide or bolo tie pendant?
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Check out these profiles: Breezie
:icon_thumleft:

After seeing Breezies pictures I'm going for Cleveland :)

SS
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom