What's new

Heart Attack Time??

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
2,917
Reaction score
85
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I've been lucky enough to get a few places to hunt around Charleston. Most are soggy bogs that have been logged, horse pastures, and other "great" places.

I take what I get.

I hunted a timbered bog this past weekend and wound up with one flat, slick button and some crap.

I looked at the pile on the table this morning and decided to look at it one more time and then toss it. I washed stuff off and was tossing it in the trash can.

I washed this piece off and thought I could see some letters or something so I thought I could tell what telephone pole it came off of. So I used a little cleaner on it.

Letters started to appear - "S" then "ER" and a "18" I hit the floor. I picked myself up and finished cleaning.

It ain't in the best shape, but it's a SLAVE TAG!!!!

Gotta be my best find of the year. They say compared to finding these 30 miles from Charleston, gold coins are easy.

It's ugly. But it's mine and I HAD to share.

Daryl - still shaking a bit
 

Attachments

  • SlaveTag.webp
    SlaveTag.webp
    61.2 KB · Views: 7,159
  • TagFront.webp
    TagFront.webp
    167 KB · Views: 6,311
  • TagBack.webp
    TagBack.webp
    95.4 KB · Views: 6,290
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm humbled. It is just one of those finds that shakes you up and then you think that you almost threw it away. WOW.

I do plan to have it restored if possible. Since it is an early tag, it is supposed to be a "square" tag and not the "diamond" shaped one with the hole in the top corner. It should also be a bit smaller than the CW era Charleston tags.

I talked with a friend of mine in Charleston about the tag and he said that it will have a mark on it - "lafarge" - or something like that and that all the tags of this period were square/rectangular. He also said that at the time these tags were used - 1826 - it was pretty common for them to be "defaced.". They would be bent, cut, nailed, etc. The slaves would risk punishment for losing a tag in order to get the satisfaction of "beating it up." Just what they were doing at this point in the history of slavery.

So thanks for looking and sharing in the find. It is something I surely wasn't expecting.

Daryl
 
Don in SJ said:
OK Congrats, now don't laugh, but you might want to consider getting that one restored, I have seen some miracles performed by some of those who do that, including slave badges!

Don

I agree with Don 100% you would be even more shocked when you see what can be done with the tag to restore it
Great find for sure :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
 
Now that's a real dream find for sure. Great find! :icon_thumright:
 
check into getting it restored, so far ive not found a Lafar 1826, and even with the tear in it
it would be worth insuring

from reading about slave tags, they were only made in charleston sc, and the makers of the tags
worked for the auction house by contract, here is a pic of a 1821 tag made by, John J. Lafar one of 8
tag/badge maker, won the contract for making badges for 24 years.

some history, on slave tag/badges
Lot 2486: LARGEST MOST COMPLETE COLLECTION OF GENUINE CHARLESTON SLAVE HIRE BADGES EVER OFFERED.
the pics wouldnt open ,hit the expand button to read history on collection
http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/largest-most-complete-collection-of-genuine-charl-1-c-bzmyglmbwz

site i found pic
http://charlestonrelics.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=170


large pic i hope
http://charlestonrelics.com/shop/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=170

congrats on banner
 

Attachments

  • slave tag 1821.webp
    slave tag 1821.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 5,916
I thought you were talking about all this snow......Great dig Daryl :icon_thumright:
 
atta boy, congrats on that one. whoda thunk it... great find... keep them comeing...
 
Congrats on that nice find. I have one of them on my to do list.....
 
Heart Attack is right. What a find. A dream find for sure. Congrats on this rarity! BANNER!!!!! jgas
 
Outstanding find and congrats on making the banner!!

habs
 
Congrats on banner Daryl. :thumbsup:

That's a dream find.
 
Thanks Everybody. It's still sinking in.

Daryl
 
Holey Moley, congrats on a totally dream find..and congrats on banner..that is truley awesome.. big time congrats to ya.. I would still be bouncing all over the place.. wow wow and more wow.. :thumbsup:
 
If mine the most I'd do is have it straightened. I'm not a big fan of adding material to most relics.

Have you made the banner before?


(Just seen the updated pictures. I'd be leaving that as is)
 
I don't think I would want them to add anything either. I have seen some repairs where they've straightened and filled in the holes and cracks. It looks good and makes it much more stable and can withstand handling which is important to me as all my artifacts wind up in the classroom.

First time on the banner. Didn't make it even when I found 2 US gold coins in the same hole. Oh well. I MADE IT NOW!!!

Daryl
 
BioProfessor said:
I don't think I would want them to add anything either. I have seen some repairs where they've straightened and filled in the holes and cracks. It looks good and makes it much more stable and can withstand handling which is important to me as all my artifacts wind up in the classroom.

First time on the banner. Didn't make it even when I found 2 US gold coins in the same hole. Oh well. I MADE IT NOW!!!

Daryl


I just seen your latest pics. I'd be happy with that! It ain't gonna be much better unless it comes back half modern.

I guess one banner find is better than nothing. ...and when you find 2 gold coins, does it really matter? ;D
 
I think you are right. I may just have it flattened and mount it between 2 pieces of plexiglass.

Yeah, I'll take two US gold over a banner post. ;D

Daryl
 
Congrats on the banner!
Baggins
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom