Help with ID on military looking pin

Bill_S

Sep 29, 2010
Went to a local park but ended up going to an area that I had detected before but did not put much time into it and never really found anything. I ended up finding some lead and a pin. I found all the lead pretty deep. Some of the smaller ones were close to 9 inches. Found the pin in the same area. Dont know if it's more modern or something from the civil war era too. I have searched on Google but cant find anything. Any ideas. Thanks.

Attachments

• finds.jpg
    finds.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,983

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
The seller helped me out by posting this picture from the catalog.

It shows a ...

Crossed-Swords "Shoulder Board / Patch"

Connecticut

Regulation Rank Insignia For Service Uniforms

Full Dress Coats

This may not be exactly what we were looking for ... but it is a "definite" clue.

I'm going to bid on the catalog anyway just because the seller was so helpful ... $20.00 Max!

Bob

Attachments

• Knights of Pythias - M.C. Lilley Catalog - E-bay - Shoulder Patch (700x466).jpg
    Knights of Pythias - M.C. Lilley Catalog - E-bay - Shoulder Patch (700x466).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 526
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
P.S. ~

At least we know now that the 30 on the West Virginia pin does not stand for ...

The August 30th Pythian Anniversary

The numbers 30 and 11 must represent one of the following ...

Division ~ Company ~ Regiment ~ Lodge

:hello2:

SBB

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
P.S. ~ P.S.

I sent the seller another message thanking them and letting them know I would be bidding on the catalog. Plus, I finally remembered to ask about a date for when the the catalog was published. I'm sure I will hear back from them soon, and will post the date back on my page where I showed the picture of the shoulder board from the catalog.

allan / anyone

What do you know about ...

"Regulation Rank Full Dress Uniform Coats?"

Does this include or exclude "Officers?"

Thanks

Bob

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
P.S. ~ P.S.

I sent the seller another message thanking them and letting them know I would be bidding on the catalog. Plus, I finally remembered to ask about a date for when the the catalog was published. I'm sure I will hear back from them soon, and will post the date back on my page where I showed the picture of the shoulder board from the catalog.

Bob
Im curious also the date. This is the best clue in the last several pages.

Pretty soon maybe you can change it from a 75% solved "Bottle Cap Bob"s" to a 100% solved "Green Check". :D :icon_thumright:

Crossed_Swords_West_Virginia.jpg What_Is_It_Sword_Pin_Painted_M resized.jpg

Attachments

• Bottle_Cap_Bob\'s.jpg
    Bottle_Cap_Bob\'s.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 475
  • kop rank insignia crop.jpg
    kop rank insignia crop.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 504
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
I heard from the seller, but he said he was "done" answering my questions. Which I thought was strange because he was so helpful earlier. Considering what I feel was a rude response, I'm not sure if I will bid on it or not. What could it have hurt him to tell me the date? Anyway, maybe one of you could wait until tomorrow and ask about the date. I didn't mention this forum and doubt he will make the connection.

I too think we are making progress, but just wish we knew for sure if it's for a ...

1. Guard?
2. Company?
3. Something else?

SBB

Attachments

• Half a green check mark.jpg
    Half a green check mark.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 459
  • Half a green check mark.jpg
    Half a green check mark.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 459
Upvote 0

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
Bob, I think most officers and the ranks have a close uniform but the officers had nicer buttons and some had cuffs and shoulder boards, some I have seen have silver and gold buttons and one I saw had black one's.Yes BCH ,the catalog listing of the pin in a KOP regalia catalog would be nice . prolly as close as we will get to having a pic of someone wearing one. and as I posted I saw your post Bob lol , I think the c is for the only UR listing we have for a C company in MO and the 30 is for the #30 lodge or whatever it was that came from wheeling .Kinda fit's right in, but dang it I can not prove it ..... yet lol

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I heard from the seller, but he said he was "done" answering my questions. Which I thought was strange because he was so helpful earlier. Considering what I feel was a rude response, I'm not sure if I will bid on it or not. What could it have hurt him to tell me the date? Anyway, maybe one of you could wait until tomorrow and ask about the date. I didn't mention this forum and doubt he will make the connection.
The catalog looks to be only about 20 pages. Im very surprised he cannot give the copyright date inside the cover. He should be thrilled that someone has interest in his item. I wouldnt be surprised if yours will be the only bid.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In that context, the term "equipment strap" refers to the practical function of a uniform's shoulder-straps. Notice the buttonhole on them. You would unbutton that end of the shoulder-strap, put on your over-the-shoulder swordharness, and re-button the shoulder strap. That would prevent the swordharness's strap from sliding off your shoulder.

The shoulder-straps could also hold another piece of equipment in place... the shoulder-scales, which are also known as epaulletes.

BCH and SBB, although getting the catalog's actual printing date would be best, I noticed that in the Ebay seller's photos of pages from the M.C. Lilley catalog, the page on "Alterations" says July 17, 1912.

That figures in with what I was expecting, because the "heyday" of the KoP and UR seems to have been reached in the prosperous 19-teens through the 1920s, until the arrival of the Great Depression.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
SODABOTTLEBOB said:
I heard from the seller, but he said he was "done" answering my questions. Which I thought was strange because he was so helpful earlier. Considering what I feel was a rude response, I'm not sure if I will bid on it or not. What could it have hurt him to tell me the date?
Maybe he thinks you are just asking questions about whats inside the book and will not bid or that you will not need to buy it, if he tells you what you need to know. Does he know you placed the only bid? Is it your bid with the over 8000 feedback rating? Looks like a dealer buying for resale.

It seems that CBG solved the approx date of 1912. :icon_thumright: Its only 20 pages so its a gamble if what we seek is inside. :dontknow:

Ask if it has a crossed sword pin inside. :D

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
TCG ~ Where exactly did you see the 1912 date? I believe you ~ I just can't find it.

allan ~ Little by little you are bringing me around to your "Missouri/Company C" theory. But I sure would like to see one of them pins with a letter on the bottom of it instead of a number. Maybe the regalia companies didn't make them with letters and that's why Bill_S's pin looks altered.

Big Cy ~ Yeah, I think some of those e-bay sellers have limited interest in answering too many questions ... and I did ask him about a crossed swords "pin." I didn't know about the shoulder boards/epaulettes until he posted the picture from the catalog.

Has anybody but me started a search for more Knights of Pythias shoulder-boards? You better hurry before I beat you to it. Lol :icon_thumleft:

Bob

Upvote 0

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
allan ~ Little by little you are bringing me around to your "Missouri/Company C" theory. But I sure would like to see one of them pins with a letter on the bottom of it instead of a number. Maybe the regalia companies didn't make them with letters and that's why Bill_S's pin looks altered.

Welllll there are few UR groups with letters instead of number's , so all that you need to do is find a few more of these pin's , seem's simple ? lol

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
In support of my belief that the numbers on the bottom of the W. VA. pin and the Conn. shoulder-board represent "Companies," I present the following for your consideration.

I'm not 100% sure which war it represents, but I believe it is WWI

It's a medal presented to a Knight in acknowledgement of his service in the military. And specifically a European conflict. Please believe me when I say it is extremely rare to find a Knights of Pythias military related item with this much information on it. And I have looked at hundreds of various items! At best some might have an individual's name on it, but usually that's about as good as it gets.

But here we have a medal with ...

Indiana Brigade ~ Sir Knight ~ Name ~ Company No. 83

I realize this is not proof-positive that the numbers 30 and 11 represent companies. But I do believe it's evidence worth considering. From what I have read in the two books I acquired, Brigades had names, not numbers. If nothing else, I believe it eliminates the possibility of the numbers representing Brigades.

Additionally ... I also believe the Kepi numbers are for Companies.

Thanks.

Bob

Attachments

• Kepi Indiana 82.jpg
    Kepi Indiana 82.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 430
  • Knights of Pythias War Medal - Back - Comoany 83 (428x426).jpg
    Knights of Pythias War Medal - Back - Comoany 83 (428x426).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 421
  • Knights of Pythias War Medal - Front (426x425).jpg
    Knights of Pythias War Medal - Front (426x425).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 425
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Here's the date TheCannonballGuy mentioned. I'm surprised it was so hard for me to find. Thanks TCG :icon_thumleft:

Plus, I now think when the seller responded to my query about the date ... but simply replied to me by writing the single word "Done," that he was not saying he was done answering my questions, but that he meant the date was "Done already pictured." Which seems a strange way of wording it instead of just telling me where to look for the date. But I'm sure that's what he meant, and was actually being helpful and not rude. So I apologize for thinking him rude, and intend to bid on the catalog afterall. :icon_thumleft:

July 17, 1912

Attachments

• Knights of Pythias M.C. Lilley 1912 Catalog - Painted.jpg
    Knights of Pythias M.C. Lilley 1912 Catalog - Painted.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 406
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Remember that Knights of Pythias "Emblematic Chart" I was looking for a while back? I just found this on e-bay. And it's okay for those who want to donate toward my $200.00 fund drive so I can bid on it. In return you will receive a full-color 8" x 11" photo-copy. :icon_thumleft:

But hurry, because this offer won't last! (Lol)

:director: < < < "Don't push and shove, now! Everyone will get their chance to donate!"

Bob

E-bay Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Kni...1079?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fd64960

[ E-bay listing shows lots of cool close ups ]

Attachments

• Knights of Pythias Emblematic Chart - e-bay 10-2011 (579x700).jpg
    Knights of Pythias Emblematic Chart - e-bay 10-2011 (579x700).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 403
  • Knights of Pythias Emblematic Chart Close Up.jpg
    Knights of Pythias Emblematic Chart Close Up.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 395
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
This is part of my ongoing research in support of my belief that the numbers on the West Virginia (30) and the Connecticut (11) pins represent Companies of the Uniform Ranks of The Knights of Pythias.

The chart below is from the 1910 book. (Company totals are for 1907/08).

My understanding of the term "Not yet reported" means not officially established yet.

Of particular interest is the fact that the majority of the Company totals for any given state (except Ohio @ 116) in 1907 and 1908, come to 61 or less per state.

West Virginia 1907 = 31 Companies / 1908 = 36 Companies

Connecticut 1907 = 20 Companies / 1908 = 21 Companies

Company numbers were issued according to the sequence in which the Companies were formed, starting with Company No. 1 and so on.

So if the numbers on the pins are in fact Company numbers, and there is a trend here, then it would date the West Virginia pin to about 1906. (It's hard to say about the Connecticut pin ~ but "maybe" 1900, depending on how fast the Companies increased during that time period).

Plus, this closely coincides with the Kepis I have been keeping records on and pictures of, which generally range in numbers 82 or less (except Ohio @ 101).

I realize none of this is proof-positive. But I do believe it to be one more piece to the puzzle in support of my belief that the pin numbers are ...

"Company Numbers"

Attachments

• Knights of Pythias 1910  book companies chart (569x900).jpg
    Knights of Pythias 1910 book companies chart (569x900).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 372
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
~ New Guesstimate ~

West Virginia ~ Company No. 30 ~ Circa 1906

( Which is the same as saying the 30th Company officially established in West Virginia )

Attachments

• Crossed Swords West Virginia.jpg
    Crossed Swords West Virginia.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 351
  • Crossed Swords West Virginia.jpg
    Crossed Swords West Virginia.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Here are the Kepi states/numbers again. Notice the Ohio kepi numbers are higher in count just as they are on the chart above. Also notice that Washington state had one of the lower totals in both regards. Of course, I haven't found a picture of every kepi ever made, but their relative numbers seem to fit a trend.

Speaking of Ohio ... That's where the majority of the regalia manufactures were located. And did you know that Mr. Pettibone and Mr. Mitchell Lilley were both members of The Knights of Pythias? Hmmm ... how convienient.

1. Illinois # 21 ~ #47
2. Indiana #22 ~ #82 ~ #104
3. Kansas #38
4. Kentucky #1 ~ #10
5. Maine #13 ~ #22 ~ #26
6. Massachusetts #21 ~ #3
7. Michigan #23 ~ #62
8. Missouri #46
9. Nebraska #23
10. New Hampshire #13 ~ #22
11. Ohio #38 ~ #41 ~ #65 ~ #101
12. Pennsylvania #5
13. Tennessee #39
14. Washington state #3

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Below is from the 1910 book ...

Chapter II

History of the Uniform Rank

This should give you some idea of what I meant earlier when I said some of this stuff is rather confusing ... meaning it's hard to make sense of all the different aspects of the Uniform Ranks. Notice in 1903 there were a total of 974 Companies. And in 1904 there were 981. Which was an overall increase of 7 Companies. And yet the Brigade total remained the same at 26.

[ Counts below are national totals ]

Attachments

• Knights of Pythias 1910  book company reference (700x564).jpg
    Knights of Pythias 1910 book company reference (700x564).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 326
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread